Headcollar sizing for a cob - feel like I'm going mad!

Jo1987

Visit site
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help, I'm trying to find a headcollar that will fit a 14.3 cob/dales type.
I've tried a few different makes and so far cob size is a little too small and full size is far too big!
Does anyone now of a brand that comes up big, or particularly suits the shorter, wider head that cobs seem to have??

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks Saddlesore - would you say a cob size one would be ok? He doesn't have an enormous head but most cob sizes don't seem large enough round the nose in particular!

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site

Kat

Visit site
I have the opposite problem! Fine dainty head that a full size headcollar falls off but cob size tends to be too short. Manufacturers ought to do a medium size that is cob shaped and one that is TB shaped!

No solutions, but putting extra holes in a leather one doesn't always work as the shaping and padding can mean that they won't fit through the buckle further.

Jo1987

Visit site
Kat - I have a tb that wears cob size head collars with the nose band rather high as full size is too big and baggy 😂 I hope one day to have 'standard' shaped horse!
The problem with just getting full size and punching extra holes seems to be the length of the cheek straps - however tight I do up the head piece, the noseband is still too low!
I have today tried a full size Shires headcollar with double buckles on the headpiece which seems just about right on the smallest settings. Hopefully it won't stretch!

saddlesore

Visit site
Thanks Saddlesore - would you say a cob size one would be ok? He doesn't have an enormous head but most cob sizes don't seem large enough round the nose in particular!

I have a 15.2 cob with a smallish head in a full size of that headcollar. I love them as same as yourself, my boy is 'between sizes' 😊