Headshaking, but ears rather than nose?

legaldancer

Visit site
Hi, hoping some of you may be able to get to the bottom of my mare's new problem.

I've had my mare (a grey) since the end of March, but earlier this month, after 6 weeks of ownership she started to shake her ears, but only during schooling. This can sometimes be quite violent as if she has something in her ears.

I've checked her ears with a torch & can see nothing untoward.She's fine with having her ears touched, stroked & having her bridle put on. I've changed her browband to a bigger one & tried plaiting her forlock incase that was bothering her.

At first I thought it was an evasion as she would start after warming up for about 10 minutes & she didn't do it out hacking, although now she does but to a lesser degree. Besides which, she has a very good attitude to work.

She has always wanted to rub her nose on her foreleg after exercise & enjoys a good scratch on the sides of her face. Recently I've also seen her rub her nose on the ground in the field whilst walking.

These signs make me think that she may be a headshaker, but she doesn't do the quick flick of the nose like a previous horse I had. It seems to be her ears that are bothering her.

Anyone have any experience of something similar? I've searched this forum & done some googling without much success as it's normally their nose that's irritated.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I would put ear covers on and see if that helps, if it does, it's probably flies she is objecting to. I tend to smear NAF D-Itch ointments on Mabel's muzzle, nostrils and ears - it seems to help a lot.

legaldancer

Visit site
Thank you Martlin, I have a similar product & will try that & have bought a fly veil /ear cover, off ebay, but yet to try it.

Interestingly she did it yesterday in the rain, but less so on Sunday in the boiling temperatures. It's as if she's reacting to flies even if there are none around.

kirstyl

Visit site
Hi, I would suggest you get your vet to check her over to eliminate any possible causes. Do hope for your sake she isn't a headshaker, I take it her previous owners didn't mention any problems like this?

legaldancer

Visit site
I actually asked the previous owners while trying her as she 'nodded' her head several times, but didn't shake her ears once (have looked at the video I took). After having her teeth done the nodding seemed better, but it isn't like the quick, upward flick seen in the 'usual' headshaking.

She had a foal last year, so they may not have noticed, as her ear shaking doesn't start until she's warmed up.

Will get vet though, just to eliminate anything in her ears.

Last edited:

domane

Visit site
My ex-TB hates flies around his ears so I just bought him one of the crochet hood/ear covers and spritzed it with fly repellent before riding him. Problem sorted. (Although it did make us look a bit "all the gear, no idea"!!! :D)

Does she shake up and down or twisty side-to-side, btw?

legaldancer

Visit site
Shaking is sort of side to side, as if trying to dislodge something. I thought it was stroppiness at first, but not so sure now.

I know what you mean about the ear covers! It's bad enough that I'm a middle aged lady in high viz on a cob (nothing wrong with that), but now with a crotchet ear wotsit too! (I wonder if they do hi viz ones?);)

dotty1

Visit site
This is exactly what my four year old does. I thought it was her mane irritating her ears, so plaited it which made no difference. The rain annoys her too. After a ride she is desperate to rub her face/nose until you take off the bridle, then shes fine. It does seem to get worse if she gets hot and she will get quite cross and start striking out/stamping then.
I tried Nostrilvet - useless, but now if I pop on a nosenet it stops 95%. Not sure if its just a summer thing with her as shes only been ridden since March and shows no symptoms when not ridden.

legaldancer

Visit site
That's really interesting Dotty1, you will know what I mean then. Mine didn't start doing it till earlier this month. I'm going to pop a nose net on & see if that helps & also try the ear veil, but waiting to lunge her in that first incase she doesn't like it.

kizzywiz

Visit site
Its possible she has ear mites, Fleur had them when I bought her & used to waggle her ears the whole time, she is a mild headshaker too but the nosenet really helps. If she is rubbing her nose, that is one of the symptoms. I would ask the vet to check for ear mites & treat & go for the nosenet & ear covers. Good luck.

traceyann

Visit site
sadly i think you have a head shaker same signs as my horse always around the ears like he has a fly on them. he loves his ears being touched i went to newmarket with mine and everything possible done to ears didnt help he still does it seventeen years later but not when cantering or jumping. I also think it becomes a habit after a while. also i changed to comfort bridle and extra large browband to stop the bridle pulling on the ears tryed all ear cover no better and supplement on the market still no better. hope im very wrong with your mare

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I know what you mean about the ear covers! It's bad enough that I'm a middle aged lady in high viz on a cob (nothing wrong with that), but now with a crotchet ear wotsit too! (I wonder if they do hi viz ones?);)

I have wonderful visions in my head of you riding around the countryside, hi-vized all over, with flashing lights on the cob's ears :D
And... middle aged my bottom!

legaldancer

Visit site
Oh dear! Mine hasn't done it while cantering or jumping yet, but in walk & trot & usually in the school. It's more like she has a fly in them than on them & if you stop she gets better quickly which is why I thought it may be an evasion.

Is yours rideable traceyanne? What measures do you take when riding & does she get better in winter? Mine didn't do this at all until earlier this month, so if it is headshaking i'm hoping that it's at least seasonable.

legaldancer

Visit site
I have wonderful visions in my head of you riding around the countryside, hi-vized all over, with flashing lights on the cob's ears :D
And... middle aged my bottom!

Yes, you'll see me from the fen!

I'm afraid I'm definitely middle aged & that's if I make a century! (You're very kind - thought you meant you had a middle aged bottom:D )

traceyann

Visit site
Yes mine does get better in winter when it gets hot he will do it most. like yours about ten min into riding be carefully mine will do it on the road weather a car there or not which can be scarey.When schooling i kept him busy all the time shoulder in half passes anything to take his mind of it while warming up then cantering. He retired now so dont ride him much when i do just loose rein all the time do not try and strap your horse down they really cant help themself and will lose their balance if you do. good luck

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
It could be an infection, or hayfever that has affected the sinuses.

Have you tried taking brow/nose band off to see if its too tight? I thought mine was a headshaker until his noseband snapped accidentally... no more headshaking.

domane

Visit site

http://www.v-bandz.co.uk/EQUESTRIAN-HI-VIZ-SAFETY/HORSE-HI-VIZ-SAFETY/Fly-Mask-Horse-Safety.aspx
whistle.gif

(PS I'm a grandmother, myself!! :D)

legaldancer

Visit site
Chiro is booked for next week as I wondered if it could be her poll or even referred pain.

It's just that with the nose rubbing I'm beginning to think it could be a form of headshaking.

Splish & Masons mum

Visit site
I bought Mason a new padded, posh bridle, and changed his bit to a slightly larger one (exactly the same but 1/4" bigger) as it looked like it could start pinching.
He hated it, kept shaking his head and tossing it around, so I put the old bit back on new bridle and he was exactly the same.
Put new bit back on old bridle and I had my horse back! I don't think he liked the padded headpiece, I think it pressed on the back of his ears making it uncomfortable.
So now he's back in his less posh one - waste of money!
I know it's not quite the same, but could be worth a try!