Headshaking in stable

Jillian

Visit site
For the last couple of days my mare has been shaking her head in the stable, also resting her nose on the side of stable wall. She is happy for me to touch her ears and face. When I lead her out she is still nodding her head a bit but as soon as I let her go she gallops off and starts eating. I have watched her and she does not seem to be nodding her head in the field
confused.gif
Could this be the start of pollen allergy ? Any ideas please

spaniel

Visit site
What bedding/hay are you using and do you have shafts of sunlight coming into the stable that might be triggering the reaction. Headshaking generally stops/decreases when horses are brought indoors but what you describe does sound like a reaction to me.

Jillian

Visit site
Stable completely in the shade, she is on chippings but always has been. She has soaked hay . A couple of times last week when I turned her out she did hold her head to one side and then back up before galloping off, I dont know if its related to this problem
confused.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Sounds like she might be allergic to something...but agree it is odd that she is better outside...unless you're turning her out later on when the pollen has died down....
Are you using a new fly spray, or anything?
S
smile.gif

CJ1

Visit site
My boy starts itching his nose the moment he comes in for the night. It could be that the pollen is starting to fall back to the ground after being up in the air for the day. Much like hayfever sufferers, morning and evenings are worse. And if he is grazing all day the pollen isnt floating near his nose as much.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Mine is allergic to pollen and is at her worst late afternoon...doesn't seem so bad at 2ish so maybe yours has a little bit of hayfever.
Try beconase (2 sprays in each nostril morning and night) - makes them sneeze more when first applied, but does help.
Take care
S
smile.gif