Headshaking or am I paranoid?

J&S

Visit site
My New Forest mare used to do this when a bit annoyed, she had a lot of Arab in her breed line.

SEL

Visit site
When the microcob was struggling to breath last year she had a proper head shake under saddle - I think she was trying to dislodge that soft palate or something. Believe me if you've got a head shaker you'll know it! The vets were keen on keeping her in work then (we were still investigating) but it got so bad I got off and walked her 2 miles home because she wasn't concentrating on where she was putting her feet she was so distressed and I thought we were both going to hit the deck.

Ridden bitless now we still get the odd head toss, but that is usually you are making me work hard and I'm a bit tired / hot / fed up. It isn't the incessant flicking up and down that she was doing last year when she was obviously distressed. She will also do the sassy head toss in the field and I was paranoid for a while until I realised it was either when they were being bouncy or my dominant mare was moving her on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The local Highland stallion did that all the way up a 300m fence line the first time I rode each of my horses past his field. A running L'Oréal "because I'm worth it" advert ?

CI, easier to say than do, take a deep breath, thank your lucky stars for a healthy mare and a lovely foal and stop looking for problems to take the place of the ones you were worrying about before he was born. I mean this from a good place, I understand what it's like to have a need to worry forward.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, happy now after your posts. I'd written an article for HHO about headshaking a few years ago, and I've been wondering about this behaviour for a wee while, to be honest. I've never seen a horse toss its head as much as she does. Googling "head tossing" or "head flicking" or whatever just takes you to a f*ck ton of websites about trigeminal headshaking, which isn't reassuring.

Lois Lame

Visit site
In that video, she only does it once. Would you guys worry if it's fairly repetitive (under certain conditions)? I've never seen a horse do that as much as she does. It occurred more frequently a few days before she foaled, and she does it more often now than in pre-foal days.

I believe she is asserting herself.