Headshaking, WWYD?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry you are having this problem.

My old gel was a headshaker. Sadly it was a chronic trigeminal nerve case and there was nothing could be done. Sorry, probably frightening you. But at least with yours you know that a nose-net helps.

re. Magnesium. It didn't help mine, not at all. It was recommended by my vet, just to try it. Neither did acupuncture - all that did was make my poor old girl mortally afraid of needles, I'd never do that to a horse again. Salt Therapy? You could try it. I didn't get to try this with my mare, tried it with my pony who has asthma, and frankly it wasn't giving me the long-term relief for her I'd hoped for so I discontinued it. But you might find it helps yours.

Basically, with headshaking, you can spend a LOT (and I mean a lot) of money to try and find a reason/diagnosis. You may decide you want to go the vet route and spend £££ on diagnostics, or whether to persevere with perhaps riding in a full-face net (including ears covering) and see if that helps. You may also need to look at getting teeth checked, and consider bridle & bitting. An anatomical bridle or even a bitless bridle might help.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

ecb89

Visit site
Supposedly it calms the nerves in the face
There is a train of thought that headshaking, and the firing of the nerves is caused by salt imbalance.
The flush of grass at this time of year, and therefore changing mineral levels can make it worse.
I'm severe cases, removing horses from grass completely has been shown to have huge benefits.
Thank you :)

GypsGal1718

Visit site
Luckily she seems very unbothered by it, she is totally fine living out and she only does a couple flicks once/twice a day otherwise she is fine