Headshy Horse

moodymare1987

Visit site
Well after the whole feed issue changing my horse and making him impossible to get in the field and just general behaviour change. I can catch him in the field now if i get a leadrope round his neck but still bad with his head.
I am now having problems getting even a headcollar on in the stable and bridle. I have no idea why the sudden change in behaviour. He jumps out of his skin and backs up into the corner of the stable. He has always been a little funny on his right side of his face but this is the worst I have even known him. I was going to lunge him yesterday but couldnt get his bridle on and was being quiet with him. Just about managed a headcollar on.

Quite frustrating really as worked so hard to get him to lower his head to have bridle on etc never been an issue. Always been headshy but its like we have gone back 10 000 steps in no time.

Any suggestions as it cant be ideal for us both.

Shay

Visit site
Have you had a vet check his sight? Or might he have something in his ears which hurts?

be positive

Visit site
Have you had a vet check his sight? Or might he have something in his ears which hurts?

This and get teeth checked as well, unless something has happened to him to cause the change in behaviour it will nearly always be a physical reason.

moodymare1987

Visit site
There is nothing I can think of that has happened to him. But there has been a lot of workers at the yard so Couldn't be sure. For me to not be able to get a headcollar on is very unusual and especially in the stable and even bridle saying that. Usually lowers his head for you to put it on. It was only a couple of month ago he had his teeth done.
Just very unusual for him. I am going to ring the vet and see what they suggest. If they can't find anything not sure what route to go down.

billylula

Visit site
Our pony was like this for a good few months when we first got him. Plenty of turnout and simple non sugary feed plus a calming balancer has made the world of difference and he's not like it any more.

Laika

Visit site
I was going to suggest the same as the above. It may be a case that they need their teeth checking over as they associate the action of putting a head collar on to having a bridle and therefore a bit in their mouth. Equally, if they're experiencing sight problems, the tack of visual awareness could be scaring him and that could be why he's backing away.

If only they could talk to us! Where is Dr Dolittle when you need him?

EDIT: after seeing your post, in 2 months he could still have something worth checking over. It's definitely worth calling your vet/dentist to be safe :)

moodymare1987

Visit site
I was going to suggest the same as the above. It may be a case that they need their teeth checking over as they associate the action of putting a head collar on to having a bridle and therefore a bit in their mouth. Equally, if they're experiencing sight problems, the tack of visual awareness could be scaring him and that could be why he's backing away.

If only they could talk to us! Where is Dr Dolittle when you need him?

Tell me about it I wish I knew. It is as the headcollar comes up to the side of his face on the right that he worries And steps back.

moodymare1987

Visit site
Thank you I have the vet ringing me back today so going to get them to check him over. Just know this is not my horse at all.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We had a Police horse who was regularly checked, but one day I noticed a faint bad smell so got the vet out and he had in fact cracked a tooth and it had gone bad underneath. You could not really see it from in the mouth, and we caught it early enough that the bone was fine once the tooth was extracted.

The vet reckoned he had simply eaten some grass with a stone in and bitten down on the stone (no known trauma to the head). Easy done!

moodymare1987

Visit site
We had a Police horse who was regularly checked, but one day I noticed a faint bad smell so got the vet out and he had in fact cracked a tooth and it had gone bad underneath. You could not really see it from in the mouth, and we caught it early enough that the bone was fine once the tooth was extracted.

The vet reckoned he had simply eaten some grass with a stone in and bitten down on the stone (no known trauma to the head). Easy done!

Ah really. did his temperament change aswell? Will def be getting the vet to have a look anyway.

Red-1

Visit site
Ah really. did his temperament change aswell? Will def be getting the vet to have a look anyway.

He had been a bit fussy in his mouth when ridden and awkward about the bit for a couple of days. We had a course running at the time and initially I thought it was students learning who had maybe not been as slick in bit insertion and use. When I went to do a re-teach in bridling for them and the horse I noticed the smell and therefore called the vet.

You really could not see the crack, it took the vet to gag him and grasp the actual tooth to be able to see it. As I said, no trauma signs on the face at all.

moodymare1987

Visit site
I hope it is something like that and can be sorted. If its not his ear his eyes or teeth I have no idea :( just know he is not happy

moodymare1987

Visit site
Well vet has been, he is losing sight in one of his eyes. I had a feeling as I could see it wasnt quite right but with him being even more headshy than usual I could not get near plus I am not a vet.
A bit gutted for him given he is only 12 years old :(

be positive

Visit site
What a shame but at least you have an explanation and should be able to work with him to try and regain his trust in being handled.

moodymare1987

Visit site
thank you guys, I am sure can help him adapt and get him back to his usual self. I was hoping a tooth tbh but can deal with this. They did ask was I insured which I am as there could be an operation to help. But I said I dont want to go down that route unless it makes enough of a difference for him. Do not want to do anything unnecessary.

Red-1

Visit site
thank you guys, I am sure can help him adapt and get him back to his usual self. I was hoping a tooth tbh but can deal with this. They did ask was I insured which I am as there could be an operation to help. But I said I dont want to go down that route unless it makes enough of a difference for him. Do not want to do anything unnecessary.

I guess there is no rush, insurance would normally cover you for a year. I had a mare who had an operation on her eye as she had a cancerous growth from the eye down into the tear duct, it healed surprisingly quickly. A bit gruesome with a tube going through her eyelid (as a means to medicate and wash through), but she adapted to that very quickly, and it was only there for a few weeks. When you have had time to draw breath I would ask for a face to face discussion with the vet so you can get the facts and make a decision once the emotion has lowered.

moodymare1987

Visit site
I guess you are right. Thankfully it is not a growth as such. They are going to ring me once has spoken to the vets where he would go regarding the operation and whether it would be worth it for him and make any difference. Thankfully it is one eye and he will adapt just back to basics getting him back to how he was. He has always been headshy and always will be just have to manage it a bit more now and think more for him.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well after the whole feed issue changing my horse and making him impossible to get in the field and just general behaviour change. I can catch him in the field now if i get a leadrope round his neck but still bad with his head.
I am now having problems getting even a headcollar on in the stable and bridle. I have no idea why the sudden change in behaviour. He jumps out of his skin and backs up into the corner of the stable. He has always been a little funny on his right side of his face but this is the worst I have even known him. I was going to lunge him yesterday but couldnt get his bridle on and was being quiet with him. Just about managed a headcollar on.

Quite frustrating really as worked so hard to get him to lower his head to have bridle on etc never been an issue. Always been headshy but its like we have gone back 10 000 steps in no time.

Any suggestions as it cant be ideal for us both.

The new livery that is coming is head shy and she had a special bridle made up that can be easily dissected to get it on the horse. In the past another one her was ok if you put the pole piece over her neck and then put the nose bit on then slide the strap up the neck and do up. My mare is head shy to the point of throwing her head back when horses swish their tails on hacks, that I have to live with but lots of handling around her face etc has made her less shy.

Sorry just read your up date, and sorry he is loosing his vision - but he will adapt, is the other one ok?

moodymare1987

Visit site
The new livery that is coming is head shy and she had a special bridle made up that can be easily dissected to get it on the horse. In the past another one her was ok if you put the pole piece over her neck and then put the nose bit on then slide the strap up the neck and do up. My mare is head shy to the point of throwing her head back when horses swish their tails on hacks, that I have to live with but lots of handling around her face etc has made her less shy.

Sorry just read your up date, and sorry he is loosing his vision - but he will adapt, is the other one ok?

I am going to have a look at a bridle that makes it easier for him so he doesn't need to worry. Anything to make life easier for him. Yes his other eye is fine thankfully, I am better today I just did not expect to have him losing vision in his eye. Even the vet said its uncommon in horses this age. But we will manage. I need to move yards soon anyway as one I am on is going up for sale. So going to find a slightly smaller yard for him, going to see one at weekend that has airy stables and he will be at the end of a block which will suit him so does not have people passing him from all directions.

Just thinking how to do bridle for the time being without causing too much drama.