Healing a Laser Wound - Photo Story

Old Bat

Visit site
I just thought this might be of interest to some of you...some pics are a bit gory, though...

Amy's young mare reacted badly to a fly bite last year with a hard lump on the side of her withers just where the point of the saddle tree sits. Vets advice was to leave well alone but monitor closely. It stayed calm for a couple of months then suddenly flared with soft oedema swelling around it so it was injected with steroid and calmed down again so the mare could be ridden for about a month over Christmas until it flared again mid January.We then trotted for a needle biopsy which came back largely ok but with a few inconclusive cells. Vet's advice was to remove by laser rather than cutting and stitching on the offchance that the inconclusive cells could possibly be nasty. The laser removal is much more reliable when dodgy cells are involved.

We had the surgery at the end of January, and the wound, which was about the size of a 50p piece, was covered with dressings which were removed and changed every two days for a week. At the end of the week the wound looked exactly the same as at the beginning!

1Day74thFeb_zps8ac9ff5a.jpeg

We then decided to try Equaide as a healing agent as the wound could have been an excellent candidate for proud flesh. Horribly expensive but I wouldn't be without it in the medicine cupboard now.

After two days..

4Fri7th_zpsf26b282b.jpg

Two more days..

6Sun9th_zps9dfd4b48.jpg

A week later after the first scab fell off...

913thFeb_zps53e53e86.jpg

Two weeks later after the next scab fell off..

1026thFeb_zps343d30a7.jpg

The next two weeks later...

1113thMarch_zpsf67af806.jpg

And twelve days later at the beginning of this week.

13Tuesday25th_zpscc819e09.jpg

Once the lump was biopsied it proved to be quite harmless! Its a long haul and Amy is managing to keep the mare halfway fit by riding her bareback with me lunging her once or twice a week...hopefully we'll be able to saddle up within two to three weeks.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Wow!

My friends mare had a sarcoid lasered off her face. The wound was really quite large and very deep, about fist sized. It looked awful for about 6 weeks, then all of a sudden over a couple of weeks it just healed up and disappeared! It really is amazing.

Angelbones

Visit site
I've been a huge fan of Equaide for ages and have tried to push its charms on here for a while but nobody seemed up for it - and then this!! How did I know you'd be the one eh? Stunning results, so glad it's all worked out, and that Amy will be partying again soon :) xx

Angelbones

Visit site
I keep mine in the fridge - doesn't seem to go off. If it dries up you just add a bit of water and mix it up. It's only a small tub so if you had an accident and needed it, you'd probably not end up with loads hanging around.

Angelbones

Visit site
They have excellent service, usually turns up the next day. They've even sent me some before I paid once when I was in a panic, away from the computer and without my purse!

glenruby

Visit site
I'd expect any wound to have healed after 7weeks to be honest, regardless of the Equiade. Also very very rare to get proud flesh on any part of the body except the limbs. Glad the lump was of no consequence.

Matafleur

Visit site
I had multiple sarcoids lasered off a horse last year, the wounds were all very deep and extremely gory to look at. The biggest was probably about the size of my fist. I'm surprised that the vet had you keep the wound covered as I was told to just leave completely alone, I could use a bit of blue spray if the flies were getting to it but otherwise just left it. I have to say that despite looking awful the wounds all healed very quickly and all but the biggest had healed to very shallow scabs after 5 weeks.

I think the laser treatment is brilliant and would certainly use it again. But I'm also not entirely convinced that the Equiade would have made any difference based on my own experience.

Really glad your mare has healed nicely and that she'll be back in action soon :)

Old Bat

Visit site
Its interesting to get the feedback, thank you. The idea of posting was not simply to promote Equaide, though I was very impressed, but to share my fascination of wound healing. It would have been lovely to have had a control experiment! I agree with the principle of leaving uncovered but think there were two main problems here...one was having a clipped horse in winter and the need to rug..albeit lightly... and also the situation of the wound...although on the side of the withers the muscle bed underneath the skin was moving backwards and forwards with every single forelimb and head movement so delaying the wounds own sealing process, and dust and bedding could easily have got trapped under the skin surface around the wound.