Health and Safety gone too far?

yaddowshad

Visit site
Its nothing to do with health and safety its personal preferance and every one has the right to choose and shouldnt feel pressured not to wear one if they want to. I saw a horse spook when at halt the rider fell off and cracked her ribs, she wouldnt have been hurt as bad if a body protector was worn.

mtj

Visit site
I'm stunned that anyone would wish to criticise another rider who chose to wear protective gear.

There is a vast difference between someone who chooses to wear a bp for dressage, and compulsory regulation of bp for dressage. Given my horse and i have yet to establish which one of us should be doing the work, heat exhaustion is a distinct possibility if I schooled in a bp. Nevertheless,if I chose to wear a bp for dressage, that is my business . I do wear the bp to hack and jump. Also wear the bp when horse buying - spose the vendors assume I'm a beginner....

I'm another person who would encourage all those that choose to wear a bp to ignore this criticism. Sadly I've seen a hacker stop using hi-viz due to a non hacker at the yard taking the p***. Knowing the non hacker well, it was done in jest and i don't think they thought it would be taken to heart.

Natch

Visit site
OK why so defensive? I AM entitled to my opinion and I AM allowed to discuss my opinion.

Health and Safety affects us all, and I (and it seems many many others) WOULD be affected if they were made compulsory for BD as they have for the PC etc so it IS something to do with me actually!

You can wear what you damn well like - no skin of my nose, I just think that if someone is soooo scared that they have to wear a bp in a bleddy walk/trot test (AND I am not talking about children or adults with genuine reasons) why bother doing dressage!

But Sirena surely you don't think that the people you see wearing them voluntarily for WT tests are going to make BD and all the riding clubs think "My goodness, well if these riders are wearing BPs, we'd better make it compulsory for all dressage riders to wear them whilst competing!" Or have I missed your point?

I don't think you necessarily have to be a scaredey cat to wear a BP in that scenario. And to be honest, why shoudn't someone who is very scared do dressage? Perhaps they are doing it to build up their own confidence, perhaps they do it because despite being scared they actually enjoy it?

In fact, I must be completely missing your point, :)o) because whilst I respect your right to an opinion and to defend it, I still don't understand why you "take issue" (your words) with those who choose to wear them in situations where you would not? :confused: Would you mind elaborating?

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Sure, I don't mind elaborating my point :)

As I said, I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with people wearing BPs for XC, Showjumping or even hacking out. However, if a rider continually wears a BP they will develop no inner core strength and will never learn to use that core stength.

I also said I have no issue with anyone with a genuine need to wear one during a w/t test, either on a scatty youngster or by trying to protect an existing injury to wear one then makes complete sense. I have to say however, that the majority of riders I have seen wearing them are riding horses that are 'extremely steady' to say the least, the riders always look stiff and uncomfortable and many of them ride with hard unforgiving contacts as that stiffness carries on down to their arms, dressage is about harmony between horse and rider, if that rider cannot communicate properly because she/he is strapped into a bp then harmony goes out the window. I will never change my opinion that bps have no place in a test where the fastest gait is a trot performed on a soft surface.

Actually I did not state that bps could become compulsory for dressage, someone else did that - I merely expressed my dismay at the very thought of it!

To whomever asked me about hats (not you Naturally) that is a completely irrelevant question, no I would not advocate people not wear hats - the head is the heaviest and most fragile part of the human body, where do you think most fallers land?

jakkibag

Visit site
Gaah, I hope you never judge me in a test, Im an adult who rides a pony in WT tests with a bp, over my jacket:eek:
In my defence (not that i need one) i wasn't born on the back of a horse;) I didnt in fact sit on one until i was 21, its second nature to me to put my bp on, it makes me feel a bit invincible rather than restricted:eek:
What really grates with me is the suggestion to scrap wt tests, i already feel a fraud for daring to go to DR comps (as a relative novice on a green pony) let alone doing anything other than WT tests even though we are perfectly capable of more:(

At our local EC, WT tests are usually the busiest classes, and these help boost numbers at comps therefore allowing them to go ahead:)

So I may be everything you detest,but i say each to their own and at least i have managed to be in the horsey world, having fun, without having the judgemental b*tchy attitude that unfortunately some horsey people have:D

Ps, my pony is also a bit of an Ed, and i would love to have a pony that is dead from the legs up! (id still wear my bp though!) Maybe one day:cool:

Horsehead

Visit site
With regards to health and safety gone crazy, i'm sure I heard rumours at my college about wearing hat gloves and body protector to... wait for it... muck out :-0 hahaha It would take the students longer than it already bloody does with all that faff!

_MizElz_

Visit site
To whomever asked me about hats (not you Naturally) that is a completely irrelevant question, no I would not advocate people not wear hats - the head is the heaviest and most fragile part of the human body, where do you think most fallers land?

That would be me :)

I brought up the subject of hats because, using your reasoning, the people who have offended you so much by wearing their BPs for their walk and trot tests are evidently riding horses that are so dead to the leg, so immune to sudden gusts of wind, so perfectly behaved and dopey that they will never, ever cause their rider to fall...so surely hats are not a necessity either...? ;)

I am all for everyone having the right to voice their opinions. I personally would not wear a BP for dressage - I dont wear one for SJ either - but I have done in the past, when I've felt that I've needed it. I never used to wear a BP out hacking, but having actually been wearing it on the day when my horse and I happened to be hit by a lorry, you will rarely see me out on the roads without it now. I'm sure my core muscles must be suffering a bit from being propped up so, but hey - I'd rather feel I'm doing all I can to protect myself!

I feel sorry for all the people you have offended on this thread - those who are perhaps lacking in confidence, and for whom a Walk and Trot test is a huge achievement. Not only is there an implication throughout this thread that W&Ts are pointless and to be scorned by anyone who takes competition seriously, but those people who do actually feel more confident and comfortable in a BP are now going to be worrying that people are sneering or looking down their noses at them. Not fair.

eahotson

Visit site
My son used to ride and race motorcycles.He thinks that safety wear in riding is a joke!Having said that BPs and when to wear them is surely a personal choice?If it makes you feel safer, happier etc. why not? Are you hurting anyone?

Horsehead

Visit site
Gaah, I hope you never judge me in a test, Im an adult who rides a pony in WT tests with a bp, over my jacket:eek:
In my defence (not that i need one) i wasn't born on the back of a horse;) I didnt in fact sit on one until i was 21, its second nature to me to put my bp on, it makes me feel a bit invincible rather than restricted:eek:
What really grates with me is the suggestion to scrap wt tests, i already feel a fraud for daring to go to DR comps (as a relative novice on a green pony) let alone doing anything other than WT tests even though we are perfectly capable of more:(

At our local EC, WT tests are usually the busiest classes, and these help boost numbers at comps therefore allowing them to go ahead:)

So I may be everything you detest,but i say each to their own and at least i have managed to be in the horsey world, having fun, without having the judgemental b*tchy attitude that unfortunately some horsey people have:D

Ps, my pony is also a bit of an Ed, and i would love to have a pony that is dead from the legs up! (id still wear my bp though!) Maybe one day:cool:

Well, I think you're cool anyway because I also only began riding at the tender age of 21! I think it's good if it gives you confidence, it's like a security blanket, which maybe in time can be shed, but if it makes you feel safe, go with it!!

xxx

Spudlet

Visit site
Well said MizElz:)

This kind of post simply reminds me why I just don't do competing - I just get on and enjoy riding without the bother of being judged by everyone and their dog! And I do it wearing whatever the hell I want to:D

Natch

Visit site
Sure, I don't mind elaborating my point :)

As I said, I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with people wearing BPs for XC, Showjumping or even hacking out. However, if a rider continually wears a BP they will develop no inner core strength and will never learn to use that core stength.

I also said I have no issue with anyone with a genuine need to wear one during a w/t test, either on a scatty youngster or by trying to protect an existing injury to wear one then makes complete sense. I have to say however, that the majority of riders I have seen wearing them are riding horses that are 'extremely steady' to say the least, the riders always look stiff and uncomfortable and many of them ride with hard unforgiving contacts as that stiffness carries on down to their arms, dressage is about harmony between horse and rider, if that rider cannot communicate properly because she/he is strapped into a bp then harmony goes out the window. I will never change my opinion that bps have no place in a test where the fastest gait is a trot performed on a soft surface.

Actually I did not state that bps could become compulsory for dressage, someone else did that - I merely expressed my dismay at the very thought of it!

Ah, so (I think) you're saying that you can't get true communication and harmony when you're wearing a BP?

Never having watched a variety of riders with and without BPs ride a WT test, perhaps I'm not so well qualified to comment, but I do wonder if the facts that they are wearing BPs and are stiff aren't necessarily directly related ;)

I don't agree that you can't get true communication and harmony in a BP, because I don't see any evidence which supports that statement :) I suppose it would depend on whether the BP allows you things like freedom of subtle movement, a naturally balanced spine and doesn't infringe on arm movement. I must admit my old BP falls rather short on those things, but I rather hope technonogy has evolved since 12+ years ago...? :D

SusieT

Visit site
I fail to see why it is any business of yours what they choose to wear for their own peace of mind?
those doing walk and trot are more likely to be nervous.
I wonder if the internet had been alive when hats came into play would people have been posting things like this?
Just showing yourself up as a bit of a snob here imo.
(and fwiw-I don't do walk and trot tests or anything of the sort not necessarily see the point in them-but some people do, and them pays their money as it goes..)

SusieT

Visit site
ps-must watch the next big event to admire the stiffness the riders have on the xc as influenced by their very restrictive body protectors..and how their hands are hard due to being restricted etc.
If it applies to one area of riding-it would apply to them all. Some people feel restricted in bp's, some don't. When you are used to wearing them, they become like a second skin.

TinselTurkey

Visit site
I always wear mine for shows and at home because I have always been taught to wear one no matter what and my mum would not let me ride without it.

once its on it really does not feel like its on and it does not look that bad if it matches your jacket.

Baisically your saying saftey concious (sp) riders should not ride which I find a little harsh. Anyone can ride BP or not it is a personal choice. One thing I can't stand is people looking down on people wearing bp.

I did not realise it caused this much of a problem to people who don't wear them.

blitznbobs

Visit site
TBH I'm old school and don't wear a back protector unless I have to (don't own one at the mo actually) but if people choose to wear them then don't have a problem with that either... actually I think it's more appropriate at low level dressage than high level. (I would think it was odd if a Grand Prix was ridden with a back protector as I would expect at that level the rider to have good glue... but then some of those horses are nutters so maybe I'm wrong about that to)

Blitz

suestowford

Visit site
However, if a rider continually wears a BP they will develop no inner core strength and will never learn to use that core stength.
I don't get this comment at all. What has a BP to do with core strength or lack of it?

Well I have a fat arse so that's what I usually land on! It must be my heaviest bit.

I would just like to say how relieved I am to read of other people using BPs instead of a sports bra! I have found sitting trot so much less painful since I started wearing a BP.

olop

Visit site
I agree!
Last week whilst at a show I was asked by the organisers why I wasnt wearing a BP for jumping!
My horse is a saint & would never do anything & the class was 2ft. I was up against PC kids or ladies wanting a confidence boost & it seemed like I was the only person not wearing one.
I hate wearing BPs (one of the reasons I dont "do" XC) as I find them so restrictive!
To wear one in a walk trot test IMO is ridiculous & its beggars belief as to why they want to ride in the first place!

niagaraduval

Visit site
I wouldn't and personally never wear my BP bought it for a XC lesson and never wore it again or atleast not more than twice. I can see the need for them but I just don't wear one. Even when jumping I never ever wear one or hacking.
They are big and bulky, no matter what one you buy, some people like that it makes them feel secure, I personally hate it. They actually make me feel closed in and I really hate it. I hate being shut in something it's bad enough with the strap on my riding hat let alone a body protector.
In hot weather they are just a nightmare.
And like said, If they feel that insecure in a walk trot test that they feel they have to wear one maybe they shouldn't do the test at all...
I am all for them otherwise, I just wouldn't wear one myself. Don't mind others wearing them, but I agree that in a walk/trot test it's a bit OTT.

j1ffy

Visit site
Not read all the replies, but here's my tuppence worth!

I agree that wearing a BP on a steady horse in a w&t test is very OTT and it would be highly depressing to see BPs compulsory for all dressage comps but I'm fairly sure that won't happen (though I'm ready to eat my words, the world is H&S crazy IMO). However it's ultimately about personal choice so, each to their own. Plus maybe the horse isn't always that steady ;)

However I don't think you can say that a BP automatically means that the rider will be stiffer and I think the impact on core stablity would be minimal. Sirena, you mention that the riders in the BPs in the W&T test were stiff however I would say that if they felt the need to wear a BP on a steady horse, they are probably inexperienced or nervous riders who would be stiff in any situation!

Re: core stability, no BP that I have worn would support the core stability muscles as these are primarily around the abdomen, where the BP is usually cut back a little to allow movement. They may support your spine and back muscles though.

Serephin

Visit site
However, if a rider continually wears a BP they will develop no inner core strength and will never learn to use that core stength.

Balderdash!!

Sorry but all your arguments or so called 'reasons' are totally a matter of opinion, they don't have any basis in fact, and come across as very snobby.

Therefore I shall happily continue to wear my BP wherever and whenever I please, safe in the knowledge that I don't give a rat's fat a*se about what you, or anyone else, for that matter, thinks!

badgerdog

Visit site
I don't think wearing a bp is OTT if the rider feels more secure and happy riding with it. I know some nervous riders who never ride without one but I wouldn't judge them and say 'what's the point of them riding at all'. Peope enjoy their horses and riding in different ways.

I personally only wear one when doing a hunter trial as I find them very restrictive and don't like them but I would never slag anyone off just because they want to wear one!

mimbulator

Visit site
I wear mine for working in but take it off when i go in the ring for my class. Only due to the fact that it is very uncomfortable to wear over my hacking jacket, and i dont think the judges want to be picking me up when i pass out and fall off due to heat stroke. I always ride in one but i wish that they were cooler.

Last edited:

dougalhorse

Visit site
Afternoon all. Scanned through some interesting points of view. Surely it all comes down to choice????

~also - to the person who posted:

"If someone would invent one which allowed me full range of movement and wasn't too darn hot I'd wear one more often - most, if not all of my falls have been when I least expected them!"

Well there is one. Its called a KAN body protector. Don't take my word for it - you should try one.

Also - think w/t tests should be abolished!!! Prelim 4 is boring enough.

Happy riding!!!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Balderdash!!

Sorry but all your arguments or so called 'reasons' are totally a matter of opinion, they don't have any basis in fact, and come across as very snobby.

Therefore I shall happily continue to wear my BP wherever and whenever I please, safe in the knowledge that I don't give a rat's fat a*se about what you, or anyone else, for that matter, thinks!

Well goodie for you!

Yes, it IS my opinion but your comment shows you know nothing about core muscles! So I will explain to you. Every single rider should have strong core muscles, it is those muscles that enable you to 'hold' yourself and not sit like a sack of unbalanced potatoes. If a rider does not have enough strength in their core, they tend to use too much hand, both to balance on and steer. If you are continually strapped into a BP, you do not use those muscles, therefore they never get any strength to them.

I have said on several occasions, the ONLY issue I have with bps is when they are used in a WT test, they make the rider stiff and you cannot ride a decent test when you are that stiff - and believe me I have seen enough of these riders to know.

You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine, I also don't give a rats arse what you think !

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Well goodie for you!

Yes, it IS my opinion but your comment shows you know nothing about core muscles! So I will explain to you. Every single rider should have strong core muscles, it is those muscles that enable you to 'hold' yourself and not sit like a sack of unbalanced potatoes. If a rider does not have enough strength in their core, they tend to use too much hand, both to balance on and steer. If you are continually strapped into a BP, you do not use those muscles, therefore they never get any strength to them.

I have said on several occasions, the ONLY issue I have with bps is when they are used in a WT test, they make the rider stiff and you cannot ride a decent test when you are that stiff - and believe me I have seen enough of these riders to know.

You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine, I also don't give a rats arse what you think !

But surely your issue with a body protector making the rider stiff would apply to any level of test - therefore if you have an issue with body protectors being used in walk/trot tests, you should have an issue with them being used for dressage full stop.
Also, if as you claim they prevent riders developing their core muscles and this is detrimental to their riding then surely you should be against wearing of body protectors for most riding activities. After all if someone rides in a body protector then takes it off when they come to do their test they will not have had the opportunity according to you to build up their core body strength.

As long as someone is enjoying themselves then I couldn't care less whether they are wearing a full suit of armour or a pink bikini and feather boa. It's a shame that people can't just live and let live.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Only the cheapest of BPs are totally rigid. Most of the more modern ones don't prevent you from moving! When I wear my BP I don't feel any more rigid or held together. If I did I would wear it for everything!!

Sparkles

Visit site
I don't even hunt in a body protector or XC tbh [unless it's specified you have to...but even then, nothing a baggy jumper doesn't sort out!].

Health and safety to me, is hat on head....and maybe tack on too!

If the kids or anyone fall off, get back on, tell me why it happened and don't do the same mistake again lol.

Maybe I'm a bit simple though lol...

ETA - not generalising anything or saying 'this is how things should be' blah blah blah. Just me personally! I used to have to wear mine most of the time. Now after 3 years of not having to, habitual to not wear it. I just don't like wearing them really, too hot especially in summer and I don;t like the 'butch' look they give you. Vanity maybe.....so be it.

I can however, think of a top showing judge who wears one or a back brace similar, from a previous accident. So not dismissing them at all. I just out of habit don't wear one anymore.

Last edited:

pastie2

Visit site
Well goodie for you!

I think that you are right, I am now, thanks to you, going to do Pilates(sp)