Health Checks for Stallions - those that stand them

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Morning, can those of you that stand stallions tell me what health checks need to be done in order for a stallion to be stood. Or should I say what health checks should be carried out?

Many thanks
smile.gif

Amazona

Visit site
They should be swapped for the same diseases as mares have to be before going to stud...
This is only acccurate if the stud is viligent in the fact that all mares then must be tested before arriving at the stud.

sallyf

Visit site
Ours are CEM tested and EVA tested and vaccinated.
All other boarding stallions from either Ireland or abroad are also tested for EIA and all horses entering the property will have been tested for strangles as well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ah, super - not as expensive as I thought then.

(p.s Just doing some research - not doing it myself! LOL)

mealrigghallstud

www.mealrigg-stud.co.uk
We get ours done for EVA and swabbed for CEM - just to be safe, we obviously get all mare owners to have their mares tested for the same - make sure you see the certificates when they bring the mare to you. They also need to be up to date with vaccinations/worming and be insured!
It's amazing how many mare owners object to paying out more money on tests and would quite happily use a stallion that wasn't tested because it's cheaper!!!
shocked.gif
If the mare is worth anything then they will be only to happy to - just mention the cost to them if they did have those diseases - people listen when money is envolved!!!
grin.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine had to be EVA and CEM tested clear, plus have her jabs up to date.

Wasn't expensive, very easily done by just popping down to the practice, we were on our way home again within about 20mins.