Healthy treats?

{97702}

Visit site
For a variety of reasons I never feed my dogs treats, but now I think it would be useful to have them as a training aid for Marty. Are there any good quality ones around, which can be easily carried in a pocket?

I would use kibble but I want something different/exciting/interesting for them as it’s going to be for training, and none of them are hugely food focussed - I can find a lot of rubbish quality ones which seems counterproductive if I’m wanting to feed them a quality diet!

skinnydipper

Visit site
JR do pure meat treats, they come in a variety of flavours. I buy the sticks which you can easily break up into whatever size you want and are easily carried in a pocket. Not too smelly or greasy but I do use a small food bag. Ebay are usually cheapest.
11-flavours.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
JR do pure meat treats, they come in a variety of flavours. I buy the sticks which you can easily break up into whatever size you want and are easily carried in a pocket. Not too smelly or greasy but I do use a small food bag. Ebay are usually cheapest.
11-flavours.jpg

Ostrich??!! Do dogs actually like ostrich? 😄

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I can second the JR pure range. I cut them up small and use as a training treats, the dogs go mad for them! You can also get them in Pets At Home for convenience (if theres one near you!) but not sure how they compare on price.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Hollings Fish Sprats-small enough to give as many as you like, and mine loves 'em! But obviously a bit whiffy :)
I cut these up into half inch lengths as training treats. A friend used to make liver cake which is like catnip for dogs but unfortunately she is no longer with us and I do not know her recipe.

{97702}

Visit site
My mum cuts up liver into very small chunks and bakes it in the oven so it is crispy.... the dogs love it, sadly I loathe liver and can’t bear the smell when it is cooking 😱

TGM

Visit site
I use the Nature's Menu Dog Treats which are meant to be 95% meat. They are a good size, I usually use them whole, but you can break them in half if you want to eke them out. Our whippet finds them more exciting than kibble (although would prefer chunks of burger). They come in handy sachets that make them easy to carry in a pocket - I bought the bulk pack which contains 12 sachets.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My mum cuts up liver into very small chunks and bakes it in the oven so it is crispy.... the dogs love it, sadly I loathe liver and can’t bear the smell when it is cooking 😱

You can do the same in the microwave in a minute or so. Or you can use tuna. If you google liver treat there will be a recipe, but I'm sure I used to just chuck tuna, and flour in a bowl, mix it and nuke it.

BrianB

New User
Visit site
If you've got the time, then there are plenty of wholesome and inexpensive treats you can rustle up. I've come across recipes for sardine flapjacks and pumpkin and peanut butter biscuits which rouse my dog from his slumbers to see what's cooking! But as I said, it's a matter of finding the time.

MuddyTB

Visit site
You can do the same in the microwave in a minute or so. Or you can use tuna. If you google liver treat there will be a recipe, but I'm sure I used to just chuck tuna, and flour in a bowl, mix it and nuke it.
This is brilliant. Looked it up on internet...tuna, an egg and flour then 5 mins in mwave.
The hounds are very happy :)

Moobli

Visit site
11-flavours.jpg

I like the look/sound of those. I’ll give them a shot.