Heart murmurs

spotty_pony2

Visit site
When the horses had their teeth done in February by the Vet, I got her to check my old boy’s breathing and heart whilst she was there. Breathing was fine, but a grade 2 heart murmur was discovered - definitely Ventricle something was the name she gave it. He has never had any abnormal heart sounds in the almost 19 years I’ve owned him so I was a bit worried but she didn’t seem overly concerned and just said to get it checked annually.

I can’t help but be a bit worried though as I do think he has slowed down a bit these past couple of months. He doesn’t do an awful lot - 2/3 hacks per week. He has had a very active life and loves going out and about but I have to hire a horsebox and with the ground conditions and the weather I haven’t taken him out since October. I am hoping to take him on a pleasure ride at the end of April and if he doesn’t perk up I will know he is about ready to retire/slow down even more.

I’m just concerned with the heart muemir being heard in case this is the cause of it but the Vet did say Grade 2 heart murmurs can come and go and it could be because he hasn’t been doing much exercise that she could hear it.

Just sitting here worrying about it so any words of reassurance or any experiences much appreciated as I don’t have a great amount of experience with horses with them.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Just to add - it is the type where it skips a bit every three beats. There are three beats and then a pause, so it’s not a leaky valve.

ponynutz

Visit site
If the vet has said not to worry about it I wouldn't worry about it. If you are a bit on the anxious side I'd be inclined to talk to vet if you increase his workload or notice his recovery time slows down, or he's ever struggling to breathe or seems to be in pain without lameness or any obvious sign. You'll know him best so just keep an eye and make sure you take things a bit slower if you're planning on upping his fitness etc :)

As with doctors with humans I'd assume vets take heart issues quite seriously and so wouldn't worry if the vet isn't too concerned.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
If the vet has said not to worry about it I wouldn't worry about it. If you are a bit on the anxious side I'd be inclined to talk to vet if you increase his workload or notice his recovery time slows down, or he's ever struggling to breathe or seems to be in pain without lameness or any obvious sign. You'll know him best so just keep an eye and make sure you take things a bit slower if you're planning on upping his fitness etc :)

As with doctors with humans I'd assume vets take heart issues quite seriously and so wouldn't worry if the vet isn't too concerned.

thank you ponynutz. He does seem a bit more lethargic but then he is 25 this year and will naturally slow down at some point - he has arthritis so it is more likely this I imagine with the well damp weather. We saw a horse and carriage a few weeks ago and he had no problem whipping round and cantering down the road away from it doing handstands then so I may be overthinking it. 🫣 I will see how he goes as he does a bit more. I’m not planning on upping his fitness massively but I basically take my lead from him and do whatever he wants to do - if he wants to trot more or have a canter we do but if he would rather walk that is fine too. I will be keeping an extra eye on him though just in case.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
My horse has this. He’s a 16:3, 14 year old ISH. It was picked up 3 years ago when I had him sedated to clip. I was told not to change anything work load wise and it really hasn’t affected him at all. He used to hunt regularly before I had him (I’m not brave enough!) and my daughter regularly jumps him. So if your vet isn’t worried I would try not to stress.

Spirit7

Visit site
My 22 this year 17hh warmblood has had a 2/6 murmur over his right meteral (excuse spelling) valve since he was 6. Semi retired for other reasons and currently giving my super playful 3 year old a run for his money. Listen to the vet x

ponynutz

Visit site
thank you ponynutz. He does seem a bit more lethargic but then he is 25 this year and will naturally slow down at some point - he has arthritis so it is more likely this I imagine with the well damp weather. We saw a horse and carriage a few weeks ago and he had no problem whipping round and cantering down the road away from it doing handstands then so I may be overthinking it. 🫣 I will see how he goes as he does a bit more. I’m not planning on upping his fitness massively but I basically take my lead from him and do whatever he wants to do - if he wants to trot more or have a canter we do but if he would rather walk that is fine too. I will be keeping an extra eye on him though just in case.
Just to say you can really tell how much you care for him - he's a lucky soul! Sending non-anxious vibes for you two :)

Gamebird

Visit site
That's not a murmur, that's an arrhythmia - basically murmurs are disruptions in blood flow caused by leaky valves, arrhythmias are irregular heartbeat patterns caused by disturbances in electrical conduction within the heart muscle.

It sounds like 2nd degree atrioventricular (AV) block which is very common. It generally causes absolutely no problems and as long as the block disappears after vigorous exercise then the horse would not normally even fail a vetting for it.

Britestar

Visit site
One of mine has had this his whole life.
Its like jungle druns in there!

In fact its a good indicator if he's in pain, as it then becomes regular, even when his rate is still low. The vets know that anything over 30 and regular means trouble for him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That's not a murmur, that's an arrhythmia - basically murmurs are disruptions in blood flow caused by leaky valves, arrhythmias are irregular heartbeat patterns caused by disturbances in electrical conduction within the heart muscle.

It sounds like 2nd degree atrioventricular (AV) block which is very common. It generally causes absolutely no problems and as long as the block disappears after vigorous exercise then the horse would not normally even fail a vetting for it.

I owned one with this and he passed a5 stage vetting to be sold at 5 years old. The vet who vetted him said it was extremely common and nothing to worry about as when his heart was put under pressure the missing beat would fill in.

onemoretime

Visit site
When the horses had their teeth done in February by the Vet, I got her to check my old boy’s breathing and heart whilst she was there. Breathing was fine, but a grade 2 heart murmur was discovered - definitely Ventricle something was the name she gave it. He has never had any abnormal heart sounds in the almost 19 years I’ve owned him so I was a bit worried but she didn’t seem overly concerned and just said to get it checked annually.

I can’t help but be a bit worried though as I do think he has slowed down a bit these past couple of months. He doesn’t do an awful lot - 2/3 hacks per week. He has had a very active life and loves going out and about but I have to hire a horsebox and with the ground conditions and the weather I haven’t taken him out since October. I am hoping to take him on a pleasure ride at the end of April and if he doesn’t perk up I will know he is about ready to retire/slow down even more.

I’m just concerned with the heart muemir being heard in case this is the cause of it but the Vet did say Grade 2 heart murmurs can come and go and it could be because he hasn’t been doing much exercise that she could hear it.

Just sitting here worrying about it so any words of reassurance or any experiences much appreciated as I don’t have a great amount of experience with horses with them.

Ive got a old companion pony here who has a Grade 3 heart condition. Ive had her for 32 years and she is now 33 years old. She is checked yearly by the vet when her teeth (she's only got a few now) are checked and it hasn't altered in all that time. It was picked up when she was 6 years old. Doesn't affect her and she still runs about though a bit stiff now due to age.

onemoretime

Visit site

That's what my old pony has got, a leaky valve.

Orangehorse

Visit site
You have heard that owners who are doctors are told never to listen to their horse's heart, although most can't resist and then they hear all sorts of things that would be alarming in a human.

The horse heart is different to a human heart so I would take the vet's advice on this one.

Birker2020

Visit site

the one I went to view last weekend had a grade 1 heart murmur, its of no consequence and was an incidental finding like your horses was.
It was noted on the vetting she did last year but I googled it and found that heart murmurs from grade 3 onwards are considered of concern.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Just to say you can really tell how much you care for him - he's a lucky soul! Sending non-anxious vibes for you two :)

Aww thank you that’s a lovely thing to say! He is my horse of a lifetime - and my first horse that I’ve had since I was 14 so he’s been with me through everything growing up etc and has been a fantastic horse. He owes me nothing and I owe it to him to make sure he is as happy as he can be for the rest of his life. ❤️