Heartbreaking news

*Sahara

Visit site
Had the vet out today about Rupert's scouring, turns out he's got a 50/50 chance of being pts. He has become very dehydrated, we've got some fluids down him and he's munching on sloppy food, vet has also taken blood samples to see what his protein levels are like but because of his age she is not optimistic about recovery. She also said there is every chance he could collapse on me tonight :(

I am just so emotionally drained I don't even have the energy to cry.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so sorry what a shock to hear that from your vet, did she not think he may have been better to be admitted into an equine hospital if there is a chance he could collapse was nothing else mentioned as to what it could be?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
How awful, OP. Do you know what has caused it? My mare was terrible on haylage. I tried everything but it was pure liquid coming out. Nothing made a difference until she was put onto hay. Could your horse be reacting to something he's eaten or is it an illness of some kind? Can he not be cross tied with a drip? My sister's horse had massive internal bleeding caused by a kick to his stomach but he survived by being treated firstly with a blood transfusion from another of my sister's horses, and then a drip was set up and he stayed on it for several days. These things can usually be done in situ.

Shady

Visit site
Oh Sahara love that's terrible news, i'm so sorry , wish i was over there for you, i'll keep everything crossed that the vets find the cause and Rupert pulls through. Sending massive hugs to you and your family. Angie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Sahara

Visit site
I am so sorry what a shock to hear that from your vet, did she not think he may have been better to be admitted into an equine hospital if there is a chance he could collapse was nothing else mentioned as to what it could be?

The only thing she did say was admitting him to a hospital to put him on a drip, unfortunetly that would cost me thousands, which I don't have :(

*Sahara

Visit site
Oh Sahara love that's terrible news, i'm so sorry , wish i was over there for you, i'll keep everything crossed that the vets find the cause and Rupert pulls through. Sending massive hugs to you and your family. Angie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Angie, I'm not doing very well with life am I. :(

LD&S

Visit site
So very sorry to hear your news, I hope you manage to get some fluids into him, what about apple juice in water? I've read some horses love it. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Lots of *vibes* for Rupert, I really, really hope that he pulls through.

hugg.gif
Thinking of you both.

horselady

Visit site
I am so very very sorry to hear your news, I know that absolutley nothing could help at the minute but thinking of you and I think that your horse knows you love him. Animals can always tell when you really care, love really is the best medicine and You seem from your post like you love him very, very much.

*Sahara

Visit site
I am so very very sorry to hear your news, I know that absolutley nothing could help at the minute but thinking of you and I think that your horse knows you love him. Animals can always tell when you really care, love really is the best medicine and You seem from your post like you love him very, very much.

He has been with us for 27 years, wonderful pony, very loving and even though he's a stallion he's very gentle.

horselady

Visit site
He has been with us for 27 years, wonderful pony, very loving and even though he's a stallion he's very gentle.

I am so sorry that is a long time to build up a bond with an animal Let us all just really hope that he will carry on living for a very good few years.

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site
So sorry to read your post Sahara. I can imagine how heart wrenching it is after your long friendship with him. I hope he pulls through.

On the Hoof

Visit site
I'm so very sorry to hear this and it has brought back painful memories for me if last summer. For my mare we created a water buffet lots of different buckets , peppermint in one, got her apple bobbing in another, we syringed electrolyte into her twice a day .. Just do everything you can and I will be rooting for him .. Blimey I'm crying now remembering my mate who stopped eating aswell , can the vet tube him to get water in .. It's not pleasant but if he cannot go into horsepital for a drip it might be enough to pull him round . Have they taken blood and poo samples ? Big hugs and will be thinking iof you xx

honetpot

Visit site
I am going to be blunt but I hope in a kind way. The vet was telling you something and in your distress you have you haven't really taken it in. Its time to let go. I can not imagine anything more traumatic than a dehydrated horse unable to stand, at 27 years he has had a good innings.
Before someone says how callus I am I have been though this last year, with a mare in foal who I had since she was two, its hard but sometimes you just have to let go. Still upset.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I am going to be blunt but I hope in a kind way. The vet was telling you something and in your distress you have you haven't really taken it in. Its time to let go. I can not imagine anything more traumatic than a dehydrated horse unable to stand, at 27 years he has had a good innings.
Before someone says how callus I am I have been though this last year, with a mare in foal who I had since she was two, its hard but sometimes you just have to let go. Still upset.
Surely if that was what the vet was really meaning she should have made in crystal clear?
I'm not saying your not right but that I believe vets need to be to the point and obvious.
Op, so so sorry to hear this xx

Schollym

Visit site
Have they identified what is up with him? My elderly pony had liquid pouring out her, she was diagnosed with colitis. She was put on codeine and we had to feed soft hay, fibre nuts any thing that would slow her gut down. She is back to her old self. We had it happen again but got it early this time.( several months after her previous attack)

*Sahara

Visit site
I'm so very sorry to hear this and it has brought back painful memories for me if last summer. For my mare we created a water buffet lots of different buckets , peppermint in one, got her apple bobbing in another, we syringed electrolyte into her twice a day .. Just do everything you can and I will be rooting for him .. Blimey I'm crying now remembering my mate who stopped eating aswell , can the vet tube him to get water in .. It's not pleasant but if he cannot go into horsepital for a drip it might be enough to pull him round . Have they taken blood and poo samples ? Big hugs and will be thinking iof you xx

The vet did tube him so he has gotten fluids down and he is interested in eating his sloppy mash which is a good sign, they rang back a while ago to say they couldn't get any results from the blood (apparently vet must have messed it up) so are coming back tomorrow morning to do more bloods and a poo sample.

*Sahara

Visit site
He's 29 and he has had a wonderful life but it's such a shock and at a bad time for me, he was totally fine and then this, I lost my dear Arab at 31 in 2015 and it's brought it all back.

ozpoz

Visit site
So sorry to read this - grass pellets soak down very well and would help with re hydrating, and if he is eating hopefully he will pull through. Awful for you, keep strong. x

Shady

Visit site
Thanks Angie, I'm not doing very well with life am I. :(

Don't ever think that sweetheart, i know you from the great chats we have and your love for ALL your animals and your amazing mum defines you as a person i love knowing, everybody on here understands completely where you are right now and sadly it is the price we all have to pay at some point for choosing to share our lives with animals that we love , how lucky yours have been to have somebody like you in their lives for so long. xxxxxx