Heartbroken - Emergency Colic Surgery

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
I know exactly how you're feeling, I've been in an almost identical situation. My boy had surgery for epiploic entrapment in 2014 and was not recovering well after the op. He didn't pass droppings for days and the vets were telling me to prepare for the worst. Suddenly one morning after visiting him for what I thought was the last time the day before, he suddenly perked up and passed droppings. This was days after the op, so please don't give up yet! He took months and months to heal, he then had an MRSA infection in the wound, so I gave him almost a year off and have only really started riding again now, but he made a full recovery and has never been happier. Everyone said I was mad for throwing money at him but it was totally worth it, I have my boy back now :) Sending love and lots of luck!!
Brilliant story xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
Evening all.

Thank you all for the lovely messages.

He had another tiny poo over night and he did shows signs of colic around midnight but turned into nothing. Saw him this morning to be greeted with one very perky fresh pony who dragged me across the yard and onto the grass.
He's off all drips and painkillers and is showing signs of improving everyday. Still a long road ahead as he still hasn't been introduced to hay etc yet so I'm sure it will be another week at the Vets but I really think we have crossed that "touch and go" stage.

Lots of love x

Oh I'm so happy to read this - you must be SO relieved (not to mention tired!).

P xx

Ferns Magic Breeze

Visit site
Good Morning all,

Sorry for lack of update iv not been well but i had the most amazing news last night!! PERRY CAN COME HOME TODAY :D 10 days ago i thought i lost My Boy for good but as the Vet said to me yesterday "He is on hell of a fighter" hes lost over 150kg in weight so is looking very poor in himself but nothing thats lots of TLC cant fix! Thank you for all your vibes and thoughts x

amandaco2

Visit site
Good Morning all,

Sorry for lack of update iv not been well but i had the most amazing news last night!! PERRY CAN COME HOME TODAY :D 10 days ago i thought i lost My Boy for good but as the Vet said to me yesterday "He is on hell of a fighter" hes lost over 150kg in weight so is looking very poor in himself but nothing thats lots of TLC cant fix! Thank you for all your vibes and thoughts x

Amazing news, I'm so happy for you x

PolarSkye

Visit site
Good Morning all,

I am so, so happy to read this - you must be over the moon!

P

Luci07

Visit site
Brilliant news..so pleased for you. The weight drop is normal. Years ago my horse had surgical colic..a growth had swung round and strangled part of his bowel. His weight drop was sudden and dramatic..I walked past him initially and this was a horse I had then owned for 6 years and kept on DIY. We fed X 4 small feeds a day (using every favour owed) and after a slow start he put it back on. He was also colicing at Liphook but the vets through he would be more settled st home as was always much better after a visit. Enjoy your weekend. My boy carried on in rude and glorious health till he was 26.

Ferns Magic Breeze

Visit site
Horses!!

Unfortunately Pear took a turn for the worse Sunday Morning so he was rushed back up around 1am Sunday Morning. Vets did rectum exam which showed no signs of Impaction reoccurring (thank god)

Just spoken to Vets now and he has had another really good night bright and perky, passing droppings eating and drinking again :D They think it was just a slight blip maybe trapped gas but he will stay at the Equine Hospital for another 2 Weeks now just to be on the safe side due to him being a older pony.

Thank you once again for all the well wishes and comments xx

claracanter

Visit site
Have just read the whole thread. What highs and lows you are having with your special pony. I hope you are getting the rest you need and am keeping my fingers crossed for the best outcome

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Haven't been on here for a while and only just seen this thread. One of mine has had 2 colic surgeries - at 19, pendunculated lipoma, when he had 3m small intestine removed, a resection and displaced caecium. Was in horspital for 10 days (no belly bands back then, so just 35 staples in the incision). It took him a good 24 hours to poo. Was totally fine for 6 years (returned to competitive work etc), then had the same thing again at the age of 25, had another surgery - the lipoma had grown back, but nothing removed this time. Again about 24 hours to poo. Ready to come home after just 4 days, then suddenly the bacteria migrated from his gut to his hock (they think) so got a massive hock infection! Had 2 further GA's within a few days, which was a big challenge for a 25 yo, arthroscopies, plus 6-8 standing hock flushes. This time the colic was not as life threatening as the hock. Ended up 3 weeks in hospital.
He'll be 29 in May and is still a feisty old sod.
Finger crossed yours makes a full recovery too.