Heartbroken

Muddy_wellies

Visit site
Last week I lost my 25 year old horse, he’d been with me for 17 years. He’d been there through all the big changes in my life, marriage, babies, new jobs, husbands long working away stints, he’s was always a constant. He gave me constant love, some one to confide in, gave comfort and routine. It was very sudden, he was looking great for his age. I went to his stable last Tuesday morning and he was saturated, in visible pain, when he seen me he gave a huge high pitched whinny, he went down. It felt like ages waiting for the vet to arrive, I knew already it was some kind of colic, and not a colic that could be fixed. He was withering about in pain. The vet confirmed what I thought, he had no sound what so ever from his guts, the vet tried an injection to relieve any gas, it wasn’t working, I asked the vet to put him down, seeing him in so much pain was awful. I now feel lost. I miss him so much, my head wants the routine of feeding and mucking out. Thankfully we are in the middle of lambing so that’s keeping me busy. I’m sorry I came here to let it all out, my poor family and friends must be fed up of me. I can’t work out where to go next. I know I’ll never replace him, but I can’t imagine never having a horse to love.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sorry for your loss.

I have been where you are now. I had my lad from a yearling. He was the last stallion from my parents stud. Like you he was my constant for 22yrs and was PTS due to a kick in the field.

It will take time. In my case a lot of time. It was 7 years before I bought another pony for myself, but I was lucky in that I had my daughters horse to care for but was never without a horse to care for.

Take care of yourself. X

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh god, I am so, so sorry @Muddy_wellies ?

I won't say 'I know exactly how you are feeling' because everyone is different. I do understand what you must be going through, as I lost my horse of a lifetime in virtually identical circumstances.

It is such a terrible shock - please be kind to yourself.

And don't apologise for posting on here - we are all ready to lend a virtual shoulder to cry on and give out lots of virtual hugs whenever they are needed. X

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Wow what a awful experience, I lost my mare to a traffic accident when she bolted out of her field at 8pm on Xmas eve 2012, it was horrendous I had her from a foal and was hoping to grow old together she did have a lovely life and died aged 20, we still don’t know why she left her field mates and bolted through the fence onto the main road, non of the other horses went with her so we can only assume it was some sort of pain related flee as when we went to her field in daylight there was lots of patches were she had obviously been rolling. I waited 6 months then had a horse on loan the livery owner kindly kept my space available until I had decided what to do, and Barney was perfect so bought him and he’s amazing hopefully when his time comes I can do the kindest thing also, take a little time out then look for another horse there are lots of nice horses out there, I have been very lucky with Barney

Annagain

Visit site
Oh god, I am so, so sorry @Muddy_wellies ?

I won't say 'I know exactly how you are feeling' because everyone is different. I do understand what you must be going through, as I lost my horse of a lifetime in virtually identical circumstances.

This, it was even a Tuesday morning and I'll never forget that little whinny.

I'll just add that, while at the time the shock was awful and added to the grief, as that subsided, I took comfort from the fact that he hadn't suffered for long (he had eaten all his hay so really can't have been in pain for long) and he never experienced that long, slow decline I'd seen other horses go through. I really hope you feel the same in time.

Birker2020

Visit site
Last week I lost my 25 year old horse, he’d been with me for 17 years. He’d been there through all the big changes in my life, marriage, babies, new jobs, husbands long working away stints, he’s was always a constant. He gave me constant love, some one to confide in, gave comfort and routine. It was very sudden, he was looking great for his age. I went to his stable last Tuesday morning and he was saturated, in visible pain, when he seen me he gave a huge high pitched whinny, he went down. It felt like ages waiting for the vet to arrive, I knew already it was some kind of colic, and not a colic that could be fixed. He was withering about in pain. The vet confirmed what I thought, he had no sound what so ever from his guts, the vet tried an injection to relieve any gas, it wasn’t working, I asked the vet to put him down, seeing him in so much pain was awful. I now feel lost. I miss him so much, my head wants the routine of feeding and mucking out. Thankfully we are in the middle of lambing so that’s keeping me busy. I’m sorry I came here to let it all out, my poor family and friends must be fed up of me. I can’t work out where to go next. I know I’ll never replace him, but I can’t imagine never having a horse to love.
so sorry for you loss, its so horrible when you are in an emergency situation. I lost my horse in June last year after having her for 17 years, it seems such a huge loss but time does heal, so does having another. And I knew it was the best thing for her too, which helped.

Take some comfort from the fact you were with him at the end. Big hugs x

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm so sorry. When you have had them for a long time they are such a big part of your life and your routine often revolves around them. If I were you, I wouldn't even think about what to do next until lambing is over and then consider how much you want that routine back. Do you miss riding, as well. If you do want those things as part of your life, it will be time to start looking around for another horse. Or you might prefer to wait, everyone is different.

babymare

Visit site
I am so sorry and please give time to grieve. You will never replace him but in time you may feel ready to take on another. You will know.Take care of yourself

Last edited:

Muddy_wellies

Visit site
Wow what a awful experience, I lost my mare to a traffic accident when she bolted out of her field at 8pm on Xmas eve 2012, it was horrendous I had her from a foal and was hoping to grow old together she did have a lovely life and died aged 20, we still don’t know why she left her field mates and bolted through the fence onto the main road, non of the other horses went with her so we can only assume it was some sort of pain related flee as when we went to her field in daylight there was lots of patches were she had obviously been rolling. I waited 6 months then had a horse on loan the livery owner kindly kept my space available until I had decided what to do, and Barney was perfect so bought him and he’s amazing hopefully when his time comes I can do the kindest thing also, take a little time out then look for another horse there are lots of nice horses out there, I have been very lucky with Barney
Gosh this sounds awful, it must of been very traumatic for you.

Muddy_wellies

Visit site
This, it was even a Tuesday morning and I'll never forget that little whinny.

I'll just add that, while at the time the shock was awful and added to the grief, as that subsided, I took comfort from the fact that he hadn't suffered for long (he had eaten all his hay so really can't have been in pain for long) and he never experienced that long, slow decline I'd seen other horses go through. I really hope you feel the same in time.
My horse had also eaten his haynet, it’s the one thing that I find comforting.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Lost two to colic myself, one was entrapment the other the stomach had stopped passing food through her gut. It is horrid way for them to sufferer. you did the right thing for your beloved boy. Thoughts and virtual hugs sent your way.