Heat in hindleg (no other symptoms)

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Brought my mare in from the field today, she was fine, much as usual, happy, walking well. I took her rug off, groomed her and when I reached her near hind, found it was quite warm. No swelling, no lameness, no reaction when I touched it, just heat. I thought it could be mud fever - she's a white stocking on that leg and has had mud fever in it before - or possible a hidden little cut, so I bathed the leg with hibiscrub. Is there anything else (more sinister than mud fever) that could cause this?

Birker2020

Visit site
Brought my mare in from the field today, she was fine, much as usual, happy, walking well. I took her rug off, groomed her and when I reached her near hind, found it was quite warm. No swelling, no lameness, no reaction when I touched it, just heat. I thought it could be mud fever - she's a white stocking on that leg and has had mud fever in it before - or possible a hidden little cut, so I bathed the leg with hibiscrub. Is there anything else (more sinister than mud fever) that could cause this?

A 101 other things, I wouldn't ride for the time being and see how she goes, if she is still lame get the vet out. That said there are some tendon issues that can often cause a horse to become sound quite quickly even though swelling, warmth is there and if you ride there is a danger you could cause real damage.