Heated dog bed

cauda equina

Visit site
I live in a cold house with a 12 year old terrier who is sometimes shivery.
He does have bedding to burrow in, but I wonder if a heated bed (I was thinking about the electric ones) might help.
Any advice or experiences please?
Thanks

Bradsmum

Visit site
I too have an elderly terrier who sometimes needs a bit of extra warmth. I bought a Snugglesafe - it's a hard plastic disc filled with, I presume, gel. You put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it retains its heat for several hours when in doors. It cools down a lot quicker when I've used it outside or in the car but certainly does the job and costs around £13.

cauda equina

Visit site
Thanks, I saw ads for those but was a bit wary as he does like to worry his bed; I wondered if the wiring would stand up to being chewed

cauda equina

Visit site
No, he doesn't.
My thinking was that with a heated bed he could regulate his own temperature by moving away if he got too warm, but a jumper is certainly worth a try when it's consistently cold.

Zero00000

Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chew-Resistant-Heat-Electric-blanket/dp/B076KNFK59

My aunt has one like this for her elderly dog, not sure if this is the exact one, but it is 'chew proof' and her dog loves it.

(Edited as added the wrong link)

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
I've got a Back on Track ceramic pad, which reflects body heat back to the body that's producing the heat. I was a bit sceptical til I leant on it for a while - it's really good. I bought it to put over the horses quarters before riding, but the dog has decreed that it is his! If I take it out of his bed, he finds it and puts it back!
He also has a sheepskin rug, which he regularly puts back in his bed if its cold

asmp

Visit site
I too have an elderly terrier who sometimes needs a bit of extra warmth. I bought a Snugglesafe - it's a hard plastic disc filled with, I presume, gel. You put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it retains its heat for several hours when in doors. It cools down a lot quicker when I've used it outside or in the car but certainly does the job and costs around £13.

Second one of these. Bought one for my mum who has a stray cat live at her house. He has a kennel outside in which my mum puts one of these under a blanket and it keeps him toasty all night.