Heather Moffett FlexEE Saddles - reviews/ anyone selling

Horsekaren

Visit site
This is a kind of follow on post from my last saddle post.

I'm having issues with my boy changing shape but not gullet size so i am struggling with my TG cob saddle. He is flat backed. At present it is slipping to the right and my boy just doesn't seem to be comfortable in it.
As a cheap first trail and error shot i was wondering whether to try and pick up a HM saddle second hand.
I posted the other day and a couple of helpful people shared their experiences with them but i'm just wondering if by having it in the subject line of my post might attract a few more HM users.

I know a few people have mentioned about them tipping the rider forward, i am a bit of a tipper on my TG but i'm not sure if that is me or the saddle. I know some saddles claim to make the rider sit in the correct position and as i am not too set in my ways nore the master of a chair seat i wonder if this might actually suit.

Has anyone else out there tried or owned one?

A few people have recommended Smart Solution saddles but after a expensive year of vet bills i don't have a huge budget.

webble

Visit site
I have had a few, the original prototype, the second generation and a finesse and found the finesse tipped me forward and barce on my stirrups, however the others didnt. I currently have a pheonix which I adore and have no tipping or bracing issues, I used to have a vogue and will be getting another when pennies allow. You can pick up a second hand pheonix for around £300-500, have a look on facebook

I used to have a solution which the horse liked but I found it really put me in a chair seat and wasnt that comfortable either but that could be because I was used to the set back stirrups and memory foam seat of HM saddles. I also didnt think the quality of the leather was a reflection of the cost

Last edited:

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have had a few, the original prototype, the second generation and a finesse and found the finesse tipped me forward. I currently have a pheonix which I adore and have no tipping issues, I used to have a vogue and will be getting another when pennies allow.

I used to have a solution which the horse liked but I found it really put me in a chair seat and wasnt that comfortable either but that could be because I was used to the set back stirrups and memory foam seat of HM saddles

Did you ever try one of the pre gullet ones? I'd love to know why they changed to include a gullet. I'm wondering if its worth a try, i have found a good priced VSD one and been in touch with a fitter but im not sure if a newer one would be better.

I have never ridden in anything other than a tree so im keen to find out as much about them as possible before splashing out but reviews on line are quiet limited.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
I have a pregullet flexee and a vogue, have ridden in a finesse as well. I loved the finesse but feel very secure in my pregullet as well. Vogue I love but everyone else who rides in it hates it, feel insecure. It's definitely not as stable as the pregullet, out of all that one is the most stable. Pregullets are easy enough to fit, just make sure it's not been on a mega wide horse before him as they stretch that wide and don't go back. Finesses again very easy to fit, and shim. I hope I don't offend anyone on here who might be a fitter for them, but the one I saw fit for my friend was a total scam, 40 odd quid to roll a lip balm down the saddle seat and shoved blue sticky pads under it for an unknown reason. After care isn't great, wouldn't expect much input from heather herself with fitting advice or anything. But tbh so long as you can see the balance and follow the advice on the website for pregullets, they're easy enough to do yourself.

BBP

Visit site
I have a Flexee finesse. As above I had zero assistance from the HM team with regard to fitting. But I do love it. It’s mega comfy for long hacks and puts me in a far better position than any saddle I have tried before. I used to tip forwards and feel a bit unstable in it but I think it’s because I didn’t engage my core. Now I am more conscious of my core, shoulders and head position and have stuck with it on some fairly interesting acrobatics. I don’t love jumping bigger fences in it, 2’6’’ (in old money!) is plenty, I think the set back stirrup bars don’t assist your security over a big fence.

Most important to me was that my horse instantly moved more freely, lifted over his back and all the ridden posture issues I had been having with him vanished once I started using this saddle. So I was hooked!

loz9

Visit site
I have a gulleted FlexEE & like you had only ever ridden in conventional treed saddles. Initially I had one fitted to 2 of my horses (both wide & flat backed), but have since maintained the fit myself. I was lucky enough to be left a saddle on trial for a while before buying so knew it was the right saddle for us.
My previous saddle was also at TG cob & I have found my position is significantly better in the HM. The TG tipped me forward & gave me a bad back, I'd always thought it was just me!

SpottyMare

Visit site
I have a pregullet flexee dressage that I'm thinking of selling - mainly because I really need an 18" rather than a 17".

Otherwise I love it. It feels secure, puts you in the right position and my welsh cob goes really well in it.

Interestingly, I wasn't quite so in love with the flexee GP saddle, as that tipped me forward.

Iwantakitten

Visit site
I had a second hand gulleted fleexe on mine a couple years ago. Put me in a fab position but the horse HATED it. After the third ride he simply refused to move in it. It was quickly sold for slightly more than I paid for it.

NZJenny

Visit site
I purchased a second hand fheonix vogue out of curiousity, and hmmm .... mixed. Despite asking for fitting help via the website, I got no answer, so not a great reveiw on that.

I also found that it tipped me forward and it sat very low on the horses spine.

It was a 17" and I was told that they are a big 17", but I would say not. I usually ride in a 17.5" and the 17" was too small for me.

I didn't hate riding in it, but found it hard to love.

I purchased it out of curiosity, paid too much and lost money when I sold it. Would I have another, no.

Smooshy

Visit site
I have the pregullet flexee dressage. I found it didnt work for the combination of horse/ rider. The horse decided that it was an absolute no (no trying again after that decision) and too bulky for me to be secure. It was originally bought for the shim/tree system, which did seem to work well, but cannot tell you as to how it stands up to work. So alot of money down the drain for it to go into storage.

Anyone fancy an 18" brown dressage?

Last edited:

Casey76

Visit site
I have a pregullet 18" dressage, my horse turned into a stumbling wreck, so it has only ever been sat on for 40 mins.

I wasn't prepared to "let it settle" as he was so uncomfortable with it in the first place.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have the pregullet flexee dressage. I found it didnt work for the combination of horse/ rider. The horse decided that it was an absolute no (no trying again after that decision) and too bulky for me to be secure. It was originally bought for the shim/tree system, which did seem to work well, but cannot tell you as to how it stands up to work. So alot of money down the drain for it to go into storage.

Anyone fancy an 18" brown dressage?

There is a HM secondhand tack page on FB, there seems to be a lot changing hands on that sight, Im sure someone will want it :)

Can i ask what your horse did to express they didnt like it? did they just not move as nicely or a bit of an episode.

Smooshy

Visit site
Daily episodes. He would arch his back and shuffle forwards, then start bouncing/ bucking on the spot when asked to move forward. Was tense/tight behind and under the saddle. Tried again the next day, he went backwards. Normal saddle on and off he went happily. Gave it a few days to try again but tried to bite me when tacking up and point blank refused to walk out of the yard inhand. Very out of character! Another saddle on, out we go as normal.

TBH he is very particular about what he will and won't work with saddle/ pad wise (saddlers nightmare!) but could never get it right for him to work nicely. Been on for about an hour in total, but scrapped it before he broke it or injured someone.

I like the idea behind it, but would have to be very desperate before trying another HM saddle for this horse.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Daily episodes. He would arch his back and shuffle forwards, then start bouncing/ bucking on the spot when asked to move forward. Was tense/tight behind and under the saddle. Tried again the next day, he went backwards. Normal saddle on and off he went happily. Gave it a few days to try again but tried to bite me when tacking up and point blank refused to walk out of the yard inhand. Very out of character! Another saddle on, out we go as normal.

TBH he is very particular about what he will and won't work with saddle/ pad wise (saddlers nightmare!) but could never get it right for him to work nicely. Been on for about an hour in total, but scrapped it before he broke it or injured someone.

I like the idea behind it, but would have to be very desperate before trying another HM saddle for this horse.

My horse does a bit of what you have mentioned in his TG, he was worse in the wintec cantering on the stop but that didn't fit at all. He was better in the TG for a while but it seems ok for a month then doesn't feel right again.

Smooshy

Visit site
My horse does a bit of what you have mentioned in his TG, he was worse in the wintec cantering on the stop but that didn't fit at all. He was better in the TG for a while but it seems ok for a month then doesn't feel right again.

I wouldn't want to say if it would or wouldn't work for yours. I think they are marmite saddles IMO. If you can, I would see if you can trial one. 'Technically' it fitted really well, but to him it did not fit at all. I wish I could have trialled one and saved alot of money. Mine has his saddles refitted every 4-5 weeks as is so particular so can tell when it is or isn't right so can tell from the start if it will not work.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I love my vogues. Had them on 4 of my own horses with no objections and at 3 people have borrowed them to try on theirs and subsequently bought their own. They may not suit everybody (what does?) But they'll always be my starting point.

BlackRider

Visit site
I've got a flexee finesse which I love, I've had it a couple of years, and used it on 2 different horses.

I did buy a solution before getting the finesse - and it caused issue with my horses back, despite being professionally fitted.

The flexee rides like a treed saddle, and is very comfortable, I've got the VSD.

Equi

Visit site
Contact heather herself she is very good at getting back to you and talking you through it and finding a close fitter.

Do be aware that different ones have different weight limits, and a weight over that will effect the way the saddle fits in an adverse way (hence why they were unsuitable for me, which heather was quite truthful about to me)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A client bought one and had a fitter out to fit it, it was secondhand.

The horse was not very good the first time she used it so she waited for a lesson.

I hated the way it sat so high off the horse, the horse was usually soft and helpful, but in this saddle he was tense, snatchy. I had a ride on it and felt very uncomfortable. I suggested she send it back.

The fitter would not have it back. No comeback at all.

We went back to the plastic saddle she had before and the horse was fine.

I don't know the credentials of the fitter, it was not Heather.

It was a waste of money, but that may or may not be the saddle's fault, but that was my one experience.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I like the Vogues and some of the older treed and treeless saddles of HMs. Not convinced by the FlexEE though-they do seem to sell easily so not a risky purchase. customer service is notoriously poor.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Contact heather herself she is very good at getting back to you and talking you through it and finding a close fitter.

Do be aware that different ones have different weight limits, and a weight over that will effect the way the saddle fits in an adverse way (hence why they were unsuitable for me, which heather was quite truthful about to me)

We never got as far as trying the HM saddles, as the customer service was so poor on initial contact that we decided that we couldn't rely on the after care.
We bought Solution which we and the horses really like.

paddy555

Visit site
I bought a SH phoenix. I found it difficult to ride on, didn't feel very safe and it put me up very high. Quickly stopped using it as I found it had given the horse a sore back and in 15 years he had never had any back problems from saddling. It may have been OK for riding in an arena but I hated riding out on it.
Sold it and lost a lot of money. The person who bought it thought they had got a bargain and they had as it was in nice condition. I was just happy to be rid of it.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Our second hand HM FlexEE VSD saddle arrived.
For the first time in a year he didn't mind being girthed :D we have never used a dressage girth before, i purchased the Pro Choice one which was recommended and i must say i will be using these going forward, couldn't believe the difference.

Gave him a little lunge in it this morning and had 2 mins walking and trotting and he seems rather happy with it (didnt want to do anymore until fitter has been).

Cant wait to have it fitted on Monday :D

As you can see he was rather relaxed this morning :p
30743094_10156680442729063_2033863745632993280_n.jpg

I also liked the position it put me in, i just have to bend my bloody elbows!!! we were just chilling at that point to see how he took to the feeling of me on his back with a soft tree :)

30742870_10156680442734063_5109159981400195072_n.jpg

TigerTail

Visit site
We were put off wen we realised that they are made, at least in part, in India.

Heather couldnt get them made in the uk without the price becoming nuts, the vast majority of saddles are made overseas now. The Vogues are the flagship of the range hence their price tag, but thats what ive had on my horses since Ive had them and not had any back issues at all - I struggle to ride in anything else these days!

The flexEE's dont suit as many types of horses as the vogues do imo and because they do have fixed parts people need to remember to keep an eye on the horses shape changing affecting the way the saddle fits and altering it accordingly. A good cheaper option to the vogue and a nicer alternative than the wintecs for me as the stirrup bars are in a better position.