Heatstroke in dogs at home,event or in a car.

somethingillremember

Visit site
Sorry . We are so not use to seeing that bright orb in the sky that we can easily forget that we are wearing a Tshirt and shorts but the dog is still in Winter woolies !

Parachute

Visit site
Sorry . We are so not use to seeing that bright orb in the sky that we can easily forget that we are wearing a Tshirt and shorts but the dog is still in Winter woolies !

I agree, my border collie got heatstroke last year in Filey, luckily not as bad as Woofy and recovered after a few days inside! Unfortunately some dogs aren't so lucky, and I certainly learnt my lesson!

humblepie

Visit site
Whilst it wasn't that hot there were a couple of dogs in the back of a car at Badminton yesterday. Did have the tailgate left slightly open but did seen a little unfair.

somethingillremember

Visit site
Parachute ..I thought that as well , yes I dont know the signs for heatstroke so the more people that are aware of the signs the better . I guess it may also make us think of our horses in the heat as well to some degree , at least they can sweat all over their body but cannot pant only huff and puff . When I get too hot I have a banging headache so again worth remembering if its hot and horse seems abit off. I have hand towels soaked in water which I put over their poll area to help cool them down when in a stable or trailer .... not often needed in UK tho !
Humblepie .... I often wonder why people take dogs to events then leave them in a car . I was a fence judge and there was a car parked near and I could see a couple of dogs in a car , ok the window was open and it was cool but the dogs stayed in the car all day . No-one came back to the car to let them out or check on them from 11- 4pm .... nowt as queer as folk !

Last edited:

stargirl88

Visit site
awful :(

I know certain breeds are more prone to heatstroke, as are those that are overweight etc. But I wonder if there is something else that contributes?

If that dog was in the shade for under 15 minutes in less than 20 degrees as she said, it doesn't seem right that the dog responded like that? Esp with it being a lean collie.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I always wonder why people keep dogs hairy when its warmer........surely having them clipped out would help with this and keep them cooler. I was told years ago that apparently in SA they don't use cvollies as sheep dogs because of their tendency to die from heat exhaustion/sun stroke as they are soooo active....they use German Shephards instead - clipped out ones.

Our old Schnauzer always got a clip once the temp was up as she would get very hot very easily.

Rose Folly

Visit site
I'm so paranoid about my dogs (who tend to always travel with me) getting heatstroke that even if I go into a shop in the local village I leave the windows right down and the car unlocked so that IF anything happened to me, people would be able to get them out. And I NEVER leave them in the car at an event. They stay with me and we stand/sit in the shade. and I always carry a bottle of water (for them, not me)

All comes from being at Badminton years ago and seeing them breaking the windows of a car to get a dog out. It made a lasting impresssion!!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Never did see the point of trawling a reluctant dog around all day,getting overhot and trodden on..why?As for leaving it in a car..do you know they must be complete morons.Leave it at home in peace.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Dogs with double coats should never be clipped as it affects their internal temperature control and they get even hotter.
If you feel a double coated dog on a hot day, the temperature close to the skin is much cooler because of the air thats trapped

We are walking ours at 5 am at the moment to avoid the heat, and it will get even earlier as summer progresses.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
It's not really been that hot here in the South West yet, but at my OH's vet practice they have already had their first dog death from a hot car of this year. Sadly, there will be more to come. Why do people take their dogs out for the day and then leave them in the car? The dogs would be much happier left in a cool room at home. But don't leave your dogs shut in a conservatory all day if sunny - he also had a dog last year that died after getting locked in the conservatory with no shade or escape from the heat.

Billabongchick

Visit site
MrJay I am glad I read your post about double coats; it was on my list of jobs for today to clip/cut my hairy border collie's coat due to him doing longer walks out riding with me (didn't have a horse last year so shorter walks then) and my other half moaning about shedding but having now read up on this I will just be giving him a good strip out and belly trim. Thanks

somethingillremember

Visit site
I very rarely take my pack with me if its warm , even if Im going to be away all day . Id rather come back to poo or destroyed furniture than a dead dog !

MagicMelon

Visit site
How horrid. So glad I watched this as being from a non-dog family and now the proud owner of a 4 month old labradoodle (my OH is the dog person!), I wouldnt have known what to look for - although I do know of course not to leave them in cars etc.

My only concern with this video is if they knew it was heat stroke why on earth, rather than videoing it, weren't they putting the dog in a cold bath for example?!

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have seen first hand dogs die from heatstroke even after intensive veterinary treatment, during my time as a vet nurse, and it is awful.

My pooch has been used to coming out with me all day since I started up my pet care business back end of last year, and is now pulling some serious sad faces when I am having to leave her behind at home for a few hours... but I would much rather that, than the alternative...

tankgirl1

Visit site
I thought that , cold bath or hosepipe ... maybe they were waiting for the Vet ?

The vet should have told them to try and cool the dog down gradually then if it was heatstroke, and if it was fitting then they should be keeping as calm, quiet and dark an environment as possible rather than filming the poor pooch and trying to stroke it.

Sorry but something about that video doesnt seem right...

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I too found it somewhat disconcerting that the owner was filming the dog, especially where the dog was trying to get into the house. We had a horse with poor temerature control, we cold hosed and put cold towles on her poll on the day she appeared to be disoriented from the heat. I did take a picture of her wearing the towel, BUT that was after she started to come round, before that I was too occupied with trying to sort her out to be considering taking pictures or films!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
We crate our dogs when we go out, and during winter the crates are in the conservatory as it's nice and cold for them, but we've had to move them out of there as it's now much too warm for them.

Bbc - you are more than welcome and it sounds like you've found a happy medium :)

somethingillremember

Visit site
It would be nice to think that people will see the video and think on about what they do with their dogs when deciding to take or leave at home . Or do we pray for cold wet summer! I wonder which one is in reality is going to happen !!!! ??? LOL

christine48

Visit site
I thought it was odd to be filming while that was going on, I'd be trying to cool the dog down while waiting for the vet to arrive.

somethingillremember

Visit site
I thought it was strange as well , when my horse had colic I wasnt filming it , it didnt even cross my mind to do so , but the dog was def stressed and tongue was a dark colour .

Spit That Out

Visit site
My only concern with this video is if they knew it was heat stroke why on earth, rather than videoing it, weren't they putting the dog in a cold bath for example?!

My thoughts exactly. I understand the message the OP is trying to put across but whilst waiting for a vet I'd be doing everything I could to cool the dog, not grab my camera and film her dying...I find that a bit bizarre and disturbing.

My dog suffered heat stroke after spending the day running on the beach and drinking sea water...we took 4 ltrs of fresh water and provided shade on the beach but he still collapsed, it was terrifying. We wrapped him in cold towels, put him on the front seat of the car and opened all the windows, fans on full speed and drove straight to the vets. He's fine now but I can understand how easy and common it can be but at the time I was doing everything I could think to help him did I think I should be recording this to make. YouTube video!?!

Noodles_3

Visit site
Made me cry watching this video! :( especially because the dog looks so much like my collie and she is a total numb nut who doesn't ever keep still and always wants to play!

It's a very good warning video though.