Heave lines but no respiratory problems

Lottee77

New User
Visit site
Very elderly pony, fit as a fiddle until 4 weeks ago when suddenly very uncoordinated behind. Fell over twice, then very reluctant to move. Vet came twice in 2 days, then again after a week abd again after another fortnight. Very quickly improved, abd attempted a canter round the field yesterday. But, she has developed heave lines. I'm not sure exactly when as she is VERY hairy but I'd say with in the past few days.

I can't find any info about what could cause this other than "heaves" COPD etc. Any ideas?

Shes still a bit wobbly behind but doesn't appear to be I'm pain - not lame, perky and happy as ever.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Anything that makes a horse tense the abdominal muscles will give the appearance of a heave line ,it’s a classic pain sign .
So ,back pain ,neck pain some sort of tying up /azoturia incident pain from internal tumours ( I have seen that myself) and lots more it’s a long list .
For sure something is wrong .

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Are you sure it's a heave line? I have seen some ventral oedema cases look quite similar in hairy ponies - give the underneath her belly a prod and see if it's squishy and indentable (like memory foam). Either way it's worth speaking to your vet about it again, fingers crossed.

Lottee77

New User
Visit site
She does have cushings, and was tested to check 2 weeks ago, all OK, medicated with half prascend daily. No sign of infection, not anaemic.

Whether it's heave lines or not - I don't kniw, you can't really see them as such. I could but no one else could see it because if the hair. You can feel it very easily, very pronounced. Feels hard.

Her temperature has been fine, no increased heart rate, no sweating, no obvious sign of distress, other than the hind legs being off. Isn't always fully locking her offside hind fetlock when standing. Knows where her legs are if tgat makes sense.