Heavy Weight Turnout

Polotash

Visit site
Premier Equine... my TB mare has the 1680 denier 450g filling one with integral neck. It's going into it's 7th winter and still looks like new, and she wears it 24/7 for about 4-5 months. Oh, and at £90 it was a bargain, think they're about £120 now but still cheaper than lots of other makes.

Britestar

Visit site
Also agree PE's, but I would also layer than just go for a really heavy one.

Layering traps air and keeps them warmer.

Last winter when it was hitting -12 here (with no wind) I used a PE 450 with a full neck, with a 200g full neck under rug and 100g regular neck rug underneath. Horse is a skinny TB, fully clipped and was out for between 9 and 12hrs a every day. He was never cold.

brown tack

Visit site
Also agree PE's, but I would also layer than just go for a really heavy one.

Layering traps air and keeps them warmer.

Last winter when it was hitting -12 here (with no wind) I used a PE 450 with a full neck, with a 200g full neck under rug and 100g regular neck rug underneath. Horse is a skinny TB, fully clipped and was out for between 9 and 12hrs a every day. He was never cold.

That's what I do, my tb was fully clipped and then 2 days after ripped opened his shoulder, then lost so much weight it was unreal, he went from a lovely covering to a hatrack in about 3 days. He had a Belmont weatherbeeta stable rug on 400g and a PE 450g on top of that, lovely and warm. I hated him having that weight of rugs on but any less and he stood shivering, both fitted fab and when he was feeling better just the PE one was used. It was -19 at most nights at our yard I couldn't believe it!

I highly recommend both rugs

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks everyone and interesting as I looked at PE but kind of wrote them off as not long lasting because of the rice!!! Good to know they last as I am fed up of rugs not lasting.... The worst being a Requisite I bourght years ago.... I went down to the field and mare had totally ripped it off only leaving abut if trim and the buckles around her neck!!!

MarleyandDarcy

Visit site
Thanks everyone and interesting as I looked at PE but kind of wrote them off as not long lasting because of the rice!!! Good to know they last as I am fed up of rugs not lasting.... The worst being a Requisite I bourght years ago.... I went down to the field and mare had totally ripped it off only leaving abut if trim and the buckles around her neck!!!

I have (or had!) a Requisite rug with that very same look!! LOL

VivaLaBlack

New User
Visit site
That's what I do, my tb was fully clipped and then 2 days after ripped opened his shoulder, then lost so much weight it was unreal, he went from a lovely covering to a hatrack in about 3 days. He had a Belmont weatherbeeta stable rug on 400g and a PE 450g on top of that, lovely and warm. I hated him having that weight of rugs on but any less and he stood shivering, both fitted fab and when he was feeling better just the PE one was used. It was -19 at most nights at our yard I couldn't believe it!

I highly recommend both rugs

I've aways gone for Weatherbeeta and I've never had any problems. They've always fitted my mare well, done the job and lasted quite a while, IMHO.

http://www.cybercheckout.co.uk/horse-rugs-turnout-rugs/

This is where I mostly get my rugs from :)

Bugly

Visit site
Premier Equine... my TB mare has the 1680 denier 450g filling one with integral neck. It's going into it's 7th winter and still looks like new, and she wears it 24/7 for about 4-5 months. Oh, and at £90 it was a bargain, think they're about £120 now but still cheaper than lots of other makes.

Me too! Mine (same as the rug above) is now 6 years old, and I've just sent it off for its first wash a re-proof. Amazing as its never clung onto the dirt and its had some serious use. Just love these rugs, well made, wear well and you never in any doubt that your pony is snug as a bug inside!