Hector and Kermit do Henbury

Baydale

Visit site
Bit of a dull report as I didn't even get to don my Kermit outfit (thanks ISZ, that name has well and truly stuck now!)
mad.gif

After a 4am start we turned into the v narrow lane to the event to find a traffic jam, and heard that there was only one tractor pulling everyone in. So we sat and waited, moved a bit, waited some more, moved a bit more, and an hour and 40 minutes later were towed onto the field.

Dressage was running an hour later than the times you'd been given, so we walked the course. The wettest bits were fences 5 to 14, and there were 26 in total. They hadn't started when I walked it but it didn't look too bad, although it is a long old way round, even on good going.

Walked over to the dressage warm up, wishing I hadn't put his white boots on (think liquid mud, ground we were just sinking into), and I joked with someone about the state of one of the arenas already.....turned out that was my arena, and I had 8 mins to get ready to go in as the one before me had just started.
shocked.gif
Couldn't find any warm up that wasn't bottomless, so walked around a bit (as AN's horse pulled a shoe off just trotting round), then did a bit of medium trot on the way over there and in I went. Little fat Hector is such a happy little chap at the mo, and behaved like it was perfectly normal to be doing twiddly bits in fetlock deep mud, although some bits of the arena weren't too bad. It's comical on the video, as he's trying so hard in the 10m circle to left shoulder-in but it's like he's stuck in quicksand. He soldiered on, and even managed a very camp shake of the head in medium canter, bless him.
tongue.gif
I had no idea how the judge could/would mark them in that going, but I was chuffed he tried for me. Turns out I got 30.4 which was about 4th or 5th.

The showjumping had been moved from last year and there was water sitting on the old arena, but the new one was again, bottomless. They'd shortened it from 9 to 7 fences, then later I heard them announce they'd taken the first part of the double out and anyone that had had that down would have their penalties removed. By the time I went to warm up there was a crowd of people on the bank by the arena, watching the spectacle of us competitors trying to leave the fences up. I did half a dozen fences to warm up as it wasn't much better outside, then went in. H tried really hard, and I did the four stride related distance on five - it was like jumping out of treacle so no way was I going to move him to try and get the four. WellI'm sure he must have farted as he went over the second part as I heard it plop on the floor.
wink.gif
Then the next fence was one that everyone was having down, so we kept them company and did the same. I was tempted to gallop on a bit but I knew he would hate that so I sat him on his bottom and he pinged the next one, and was really cute through the treble, so got 2 time penalties. Oh well, and sorry if I'm boring you, but he is such a conscientious little horse and will try and try for you, so I was really pleased with him for giving it his best shot.
smile.gif

On the way back I was chatting to a girl who had just finished her xc, and she said yes, it was v deep up until fence 14, and she'd gone steady thinking it would get better after that but it didn't, and was still v deep and v holding. I mulled it over and decided I would have a go but pull up if he wasn't happy, but then a timely phone call from my friend whose boss was there, relaying info about pros that had not even got their horses off the lorry, that I reconsidered and decided not to run him. I could hear a quiet "yay" from Hector, as he'd decided that Cheshire's grass is way better than ours at home and that he'd really like to be a dairy cow
laugh.gif
, so he proceeded to drag my OH around for half an hour, sampling it all.

He's gone so well lately and is really making me feel like he's going to keep progressing up the ladder, so I really didn't want to ruin his confidence for the sake of a run. If I needed a qualification then maybe I would have considered, but there's always another day isn't there?

Cookies and cocoa (sorry, I finished the wine earlier
blush.gif
) if you got this far.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Sounds like a good day and you made the right decision
smile.gif

Im amazed how wet the ground is everywhere its still hard where I am
confused.gif
and MK was just perfect today, although they did have to take a fence out in th emiddle of the course due to it being to wet
crazy.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Sounds like you made the right decision, no point in setting him back, there will always be another day. (I don't want you spoiling him for me
tongue.gif
grin.gif
)
The ground at Eland today was lovely, had a couple of nice sunny, windy days this weekend tho and its very hilly and well draining there. The yard at Glos resembles a swamp!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sorry your visit was such a farce!
I cannot believe the TD didn't pull the plug on Friday because of the transport problems there would be alone; I bet their balls will be in the mincer now!

dollface

Visit site
I was there fence judging and can confirm how wet it was!
They delayed the dressage by an hour due the problems getting everyone in, was really awful conditions

KatB

Visit site
Hector told me he wants flippers before you amke him go anywhere near bottomless ground again
wink.gif
Definitely the right decision
grin.gif
Fancy doing Draycott at the weekend?!
tongue.gif

ElleJS

Visit site
Very very wise decision. How awful was it. The SJ was chaos!! Getting in was chaos!!

I had to run my mare (was desperate for a run before Burghley) and she ended up 3rd because of her good SJ round, and I went fairly early XC, even she struggled with the mud and she is a mud lark!
The ground by the end was AWFUL! W/D my other one after SJ as had 12pens- she just got completely stuck in the mud but tried so hard.
My other horse I made a bad call, as she has missed 3 competitions in the last 6 weeks I thought I would go round steady as a schooling round. But she hated it got to fence 14 and it was a bog, we were held just before it and when she went she scrambled over it so I just pulled up- wish I had withdrawn.

Always another day like you said!

Hattikins

Visit site
Well done! Shame there was no chance to don the kermit outfit
smirk.gif
but very sensible to leave it for another day
grin.gif
You're having a fantastic season with H - we're all aspiring to your dizzy heights
grin.gif

Baydale

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I made the right decision as he's not the most confident horse and as they say, "you shouldn't go the well too often" (or something like that!)
wink.gif

I wish they had cancelled it, although I did feel for people trying to get a last run in before Burghley, and Spring Hill was maxed out with extra peeps from Highclere's cancellation so it wasn't as if anyone could go there instead.
frown.gif

ElleJS I heard the commentary as you were going round and it sounded like it was all v smooth; at least the special one got the run she needed.
laugh.gif

KatB Rent-a-Jockey or RidersRUs is available next weekend, v reasonable rates (bottle of rose and a packet of chocolate buttons).
laugh.gif

k9h

Visit site
Just found your report a bit of a sad but very wise one!
Glad H enjoyed his grass he wonders if you can make it a new competition how much grass you can eat!! More his style!!
As you say there is always another day!

Baydale

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What about going down to Gatcombe on Monday?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm working unfortunately. I've entered Lt Downham in 3 weeks so it won't hurt him (or my bank balance!) to wait until then.