Heeeelp! New boots won't zip up!

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm devaststed (alright, very very sad) that my new boots arrived today and don't fit. I'm the maximum end of the calf width stated (wide which is 40 - 43) and I've measured the internal circumference with a dressmakers measuring tape and it measures 40. I thought there would be more give in the calf which would stretch to fit me. Alas, I can't get the flipping zips up as the elastic is so strong. I could cry. I'm so reluctant to send them back as they were the last pair in a sale and were half price, and I'm on a diet. They are Mountain Horse Sovereign and are lovely soft leather. Is there any way to get them to stretch so that I can actually do them up? Is this normal for new boots?

Shay

Visit site
Try rubbing the zip with a graphite pencil - 2B if you have it. The graphite makes the zip easier to pull. I think WD40 might to it - but be careful not to spray the pull or you won't be able to get a grip on it. If you need more leverage you can hook something like those huge paperclips through the zip pull to give you better grip - but be sure that the zip won't pull free of the leather. Careful too not to catch your skin in it! They will soften over time. The old fashioned remedy for new tight boot leather was neatsfoot oil - but I don't know if there is something more modern.

Cob Life

Visit site
For the first few times in my new boots I got someone else to pull the zip up and wore them at home to stretch them, I tried the mountain horse but found the calf came up smaller than the size said so got tredstep Donatello instead.

Try putting on thin leggings instead of jobs as well and wearing them at home, it might just give you that little extra room you need to do them up until they stretch.

oldie48

Visit site
One of my legs is very skinny as a result of an injury so I buy to fit my skinny leg and wear the other boot indoors but not over breeches. I also get someone to pull the zip up for me so I can squeeze my calf into the boot. It is horribly painful at first and my leg throbs but eventually the leather stretches and I can wear them normally but I do have to be patient. Result is I have two boots that fit my legs perfectly. I hope it works for you.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Well I got into them!! We got brutal with the elastic. Honestly, both husband and I nearly blew a gasket trying to do it (not to mention broken fingers) with his head right up my a&se poor chap. But they have been on now for a couple of hours yay!! So I'm extremely happy with my £149.99 MH Sovereign boots from Ardmoor. Cheers Ardmoor, I'll certainly be back :)

Annagain

Visit site
Well done - for the first few times until they've stretched, do them up sitting on a dining room chair with your straight out and supported by another chair the same height. This is the position in which your calf is at its slimmest. Also wear a pop sock or thin tights underneath to stop you catching skin and to give a smooth profile against which the zip can move.

Can you tell I've had this experience too?

Stiff Knees

Visit site
I'm devaststed (alright, very very sad) that my new boots arrived today and don't fit. I'm the maximum end of the calf width stated (wide which is 40 - 43) and I've measured the internal circumference with a dressmakers measuring tape and it measures 40. I thought there would be more give in the calf which would stretch to fit me. Alas, I can't get the flipping zips up as the elastic is so strong. I could cry. I'm so reluctant to send them back as they were the last pair in a sale and were half price, and I'm on a diet. They are Mountain Horse Sovereign and are lovely soft leather. Is there any way to get them to stretch so that I can actually do them up? Is this normal for new boots?
Have you tried shaving your legs? I always find that gives me an extra inch or two. ?

Cowpony

Visit site
They may not be as small as you have measured. Dressmaking tapes stretch.

I have had the same problem as you. Bought a beautiful pair of Tredstep top of the range gaiters for £50 a few weeks ago. The only width they had in the right height were 12" . I was sure they'd be fine...... Three weeks later and I can now get them on in under 10 minutes! ?

OdinsMum

Visit site
Pull on the elastic to make it more supple, it’s generally stiff on new boots

PaintPonies

Visit site

Absolutely not normal. They'll never fit you. You need to send them to me straight away - I'll send you my address and expect them shortly, thank you ;):D

Muddywellies

Visit site
Pull on the elastic to make it more supple, it’s generally stiff on new boots
That's exactly what husband and I did in the end. We've got industrial injuries today from all the pulling and pushing and heaving! Honestly, pulled muscles in arms and really sore fingers! Pmsl! It must have been quite a sight, both of us battling with these darned boots. But oh the joy when we got them zipped up. :)

McFluff

Visit site
Thread a long lace through the zip (closest hole to the boot) and use that to pull the zip up at first. It's what they do in hope valley for customers trying on new boots.
This. This is what the Ariat rep showed me to do. Used it for the first week or so then all worked fine. Good luck. It’s such a pain being broken in by boots.

shirl62

Visit site
I can only commiserate..I have short legs and small feet and wanted a pair of Ariat Bromont boots. The ladies ones were way to long so i bought a pair of the junior bromonts (wide)...It took me ages to get the zip up and were probably a tad long. I decided to buy a second hand pair which had already dropped in length a bit and zipped up fine. I didn't realise that kids had such skinny legs..my calf is only 30cms!