Height estimate on yearling

Tabsy

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum but have been an avid reader for some time before making an account.
I’m having a bit of a crisis and am looking for some advice!

I bought a yearling recently and I have measured him at 12.1 and 1/2. I was just wondering what sort of height estimates I can be looking at? Bit worried because I can’t ride anything smaller than 13.2, so I’m praying he’ll be taller than that as he is quite fine!

He does still have more leg than body, and I’ve done both string tests which put him at around 13hh when mature which doesn’t make sense to me since that’s only 3inches away?

thanks for replies in advance! ?

Tabsy

New User
Visit site
Unfortunately I don’t have any history, and a blank passport. He was more of an “I went to see another horse and came back with a malnuourised baby” situation. Didn’t intend to get him but he was so skinny and frail I couldn’t leave him behind.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well then don't worry, he will grow to the height he grows to. If he ends up being too small for you, you will have given him a good start in life and he can be shared/loaned/sold as you decide.

windand rain

Visit site
Unfortunately its the luck of the draw my foals and weanlings (all m&m) have been well fed on balanced food and been fully grown near enough from late 2 year olds they get bigger by filling out but don't go up much more than half to an inch. If yours hasn't had a good start it will grow longer. Gelding grow longer than entires and it depends on parental rate of growth too