Height estimate

bluebear

Visit site
I have been looking for a horse for a while, and have come across a beautiful 19 month old cob x Clydesdale she's currently standing at 15hh what height do you think she might make.

I can't currently string test because I don't have her yet.

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

_HP_

Visit site
Alot will depend on the height of the parents but even then you can't be sure.
My Clydsedale cross was 14.3hh at 2 and is 16hh at 6. String test says she has another hand to go but we'll see.
Her Sire is17hh and her Dam 16.2hh

bluebear

Visit site
Alot will depend on the height of the parents but even then you can't be sure.
My Clydsedale cross was 14.3hh at 2 and is 16hh at 6. String test says she has another hand to go but we'll see.
Her Sire is17hh and her Dam 16.2hh
Thanks HP actually not sure about her sire or dams height, neither is the lady selling. So hard to judge from that respect.

_HP_

Visit site
I'd think that unless the cob was tiny, that this horse would make at least 16hh if he is 15hh at 2

The Trooper

Visit site
You need to remember, alot of these heavy breeds don't stop going up until around 8 and filling out until around 10 (From experience and what i've been told by breeders).

I bought Bonnie last June as a 17.2hh 6yo and my RI is convinced she has to be atleast 18hh now, i'm not convinced so when asked i say she's 17.2hh until someone shows me otherwise as people who say their horses are taller than they are annoy me :D

bluebear

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That's a very good point about not finishing their growing until 8 years approximately.
So if I get her I could end up with a giant lol 😂

Leo Walker

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That's a very good point about not finishing their growing until 8 years approximately.

Or she might only grow another inch or 2. I bought 13.3hh 2yr old, both parents 15hands. He made 14.1hh on his tiptoes!

bluebear

Visit site
Yeah also a good point leo. Will have to wait and see, but the responses I've had give a good base line to go on, I was looking for something that would make 16hh so should hopefully get that at least

Nudibranch

Visit site
I'd say 16hh minimum is virtually guaranteed. The smaller cobby types often finish up sooner but draught breeding can keep them creeping up for years. I had a Shire x who was 17.3 and still filling out at 7. He was 14.2 at 1, 16.1 at 2 and 17.1 at 4 but still grew 2 more inches after 4.

bluebear

Visit site
Thanks 16hh is exactly what I was looking for don't mind if she grows taller though.
I suppose it also depends if she has more cob or Clydesdale in her though by the way she looks I think you can see more Clydesdale in her