hello and new to the world of horses

Greenmonkey1806

New User
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone.
I have recently moved to a property just outside of Lampeter, It is 23 acres and has a purpose built stable block consisting of 11 stables and 4 loose boxes.The property has various paddocks all with stock fencing. I am in the process of getting quotes to clean the barn and remove rubbish left by the previous owners and add additional hard standing and a drive way to the stables. In the meantime I have been asked by someone locally if I would consider having 11 Shetlands/mini shetlands grazing on the land. They are more than keen to rotate between a few fields. My question is if I were to do this how much would I charge, anything to be aware of, do's and donts etc

windand rain

Visit site
It is usually £10-15 per week per head around here. Sometimes done by acreage so £20 per acre per week if not done per head
do
make sure fencing is shetland proof they are notorious for escaping
make sure the grass isnt too much for them
insure yourself against claims for injuries if they escape
have a contract drawn up with anyone who uses your land and make your wishes crystal clear
dont
take on looking after them
let anyone run up debt
dont let anyone do things on or to your land that will annoy or upset you
forget to choose your liveries carefully and dont let them bully you

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Take at least 1 month rent as a deposit, plus 1 month rent, if they cant find the money, dont let them come.
As above, full contract needed.
Secure fencing required, as land owner you will be liable for anything getting out on others land or the roads.
Fo you want to allow liveries to bring friends, family, pets etc? Park their transport?

Greenmonkey1806

New User
Visit site
Take at least 1 month rent as a deposit, plus 1 month rent, if they cant find the money, dont let them come.
As above, full contract needed.
Secure fencing required, as land owner you will be liable for anything getting out on others land or the roads.
Fo you want to allow liveries to bring friends, family, pets etc? Park their transport?
I have already said that I am not keen for a lot of people on the land wandering round, and said I do not want dogs running around either as I have farmers around me. With regards to transport until there is hard standing in place they will have to park just outside ( it is a private lane) any recommendations on where to get a contract drawn up or are there templates online I can use -

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have already said that I am not keen for a lot of people on the land wandering round, and said I do not want dogs running around either as I have farmers around me. With regards to transport until there is hard standing in place they will have to park just outside ( it is a private lane) any recommendations on where to get a contract drawn up or are there templates online I can use -
Some templates here to sample
https://www.*******.co.uk/hub/jump-to-template-livery-contract/
Info to think about listed here https://www.tds-saddlers.com/information/basic-livery-contract/

JackFrost

Visit site
Check that the 11 shetlands do not include any stallions or colts. If so, it becomes imperative they don't get out.
Make sure they are all reasonably civilised - they may be small but you do not want to feel terrorised on your own land.

If you don't already know, find out why they are kept - pets/ business of breeding/ other. Some councils can fuss about business rates applying - just a word of warning. Be clear about your situation.

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
Hello - i'm not far from you (other side of Brechfa). I would have a look at where the ponies are kept now, just to make sure you are not inviting trouble.

I inherited tons, literally tons of rubbish, and got Clearabee in to move 20 cubic metres of the worst stuff. Worth every penny as it was grim stuff. A local groundworker and his digger shifted the metre deep muck from the barns. He also took 8 tons of hardcore and masonry.