Hello Dolly....

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
They are a nightmare. There must be a better option?!

I'm probably wrong, but I imagine that the rider who first came up with a breastplate without the martingale part, was someone trying to get on a stopper without hot water.

In case you're talking about the stoppers that goes on the reins, I've seen these https://www.evoequine.co.uk/store/p263/Easy_Remove_Martingale_Stoppers.html

Otherwise, for the stopper that goes on the martingale itself, there doesn't seem to be any other options. According to the HHO threads I've seen on the subject, best way to get a stopper on requires hot water, and 2 lengths of string/baler twine.
Put the stopper in the hot water awhile. Pick it up, thread one of the strings through the stopper, and tie it into a loop. Repeat with the other string.
Put a foot in one of the loops (or make a friend hold it/put it around a sturdy fence post), grab the other string in one of your hands (use something to protect your hand), and pull upwards. Use your other hand to get the leather parts through the stopper. A bit of grease on the leather might help.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
She's looking brilliant AE, you must be so proud of them both.

they are both little stars, thats some pony!!!

She is a very special pony. And just such a lovely personality too. Friendly, affectionate and so willing and clever. In the clip you can see her coming in way too fast to the skinny and just sorting her own feet out to get herself in a good position to jump. Katie rides well but when she does miss, Dolly just jumps them out of trouble. She's great.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Two hoofpicks and a chest-expander type of manoeuvre if there is help to post the buckle end of the reins through or baling string - one end looped round your foot and same exercise. I am interested to learn of the Cavallo gel ones!

ETA Super pony/rider combo there. Really lovely to see 'forward and going' and rider confident that they are!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
This pony ??!

She has stepped up to BE90 at Eland and Bradwall and gone double clear both times. She has qualified for the Science Supplements Area Festival at Frickley in June. And that means the dreaded Clipper Corner!! So exciting.

So, so proud of them both.Screenshot_20210418-175935_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210418-175629_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210503-085151_Gallery.jpg

Widgeon

Visit site
Wow....very impressive! They're looking great! Will keep everything crossed for you all between now and June - here's hoping for a straightforward run up to the Area Festival. I know nothing is ever straightforward with horses but you can hope.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
This gorgeous pony continues to be a superstar.

Katie did not go to the Frickley Festival of Eventing in the end. We had realised (in fact we were misinformed by BE!) that U18 BE90 double clears did not count towards your 2 DCs to qualify and she did not do any open 90s as she wanted to target the U18s competitions. She was qualified for the 80 from 2 double clears last season but it did not really fit in with other stuff so we withdrew her and entered an NSEA National Champs qualifier instead. And she came 3rd as an individual in a huge class to qualify individually for Champs.

She has also been selected as reserve rider for a 3 day event at Bishop Burton in the U18 BE90 team. With Covid about and horses being horses, she may yet ride....

She is just the loveliest character too. A dream, dream pony.

safe_image.php

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
So now it's Bye Bye Dolly. What an incredible 3 years we have had. She did her first viewing last Sunday for a tiny 10 year old. 4.5 stone after a Sunday dinner! I honestly did not know if the girl would be overhorsed though she is a very good little jockey. But Dolly did not put a hoof wrong. She dealt with horses galloping up and down the fence line, a gale, puddles in the arena. But she just ignored all that and popped sweetly and calmly round a 50/60 course with fillers. I was so proud of her I literally cried! I so wanted them to have her as she would have stayed on the same yard as Lottie and Amber. But she was well over budget and I had people fighting over viewing slots who had already said they would pay full asking price. And they did not need anywhere near that much pony power anyway. So much as they loved her, they decided to 'be sensible' and walk away. So she had her 2nd viewing today and they adored her. Put a deposit down there and then to stop the viewing tomorrow and have her taken off the market. Obviously we have the vetting to get through which is always nerve wracking but then - assuming all is well - she will be heading to Devon. At the moment I am just anxious she passes as she does need to go. Once she has passed and it's really real there will be many, many tears! She has been a dream pony from start to finish.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That sounds sad but great, AE. I would imagine with her record that she's either going to reduce Katie's student debt a fair bit or help a lot towards all your recent vet bills.

Yes Dolly has certainly earned her keep! But she has not sold till she has passed so I am keeping expectations firmly in check till then.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Always sad to see a much loved member of the family move on, but you wouldn’t have taken the deposit if you didn’t feel they would be a good combination.

Lovely family. Really nice quiet rider. Mum is a PC instructor. Ponies all live at home. I saw pics and videos before they came up and it is horsey heaven.

Squeak

Visit site
Fingers crossed for the vetting, it's always a worry even when you've never had any lameness or issues with them.

It sounds a lovely home for her and I found that helped a lot when selling a loved horse.

J&S

Visit site
I am just wondering if Dolly's real name is Sea Breeze? If so she is really close to me. Just saw a post on FB. Maybe a complete coincidence but these thrilled new owners match your description.