Hello I'm new but have joined as I have a question

Godknows

Visit site
Hello I have an Irish Draught who is in his late teens with some arthritus in his hind fetlocks. We just hack now due to the arthritus.

I hope someone can help. I have just aquired a field that the farmer flailed about three weeks ago. The cut grass was not lifted as it was cut late and he just flailed it to knock it down as too last he said for hay. Can you tell me as it is quite thick in parts and I think a while before any grass completely grows through. Will it be alright to turn the horses on to it? If they eat some of the old flailed grass will it do any harm? I know this may sound daft but normally the grass on livery was always topped and never as long or thick. Now its all been rained on I just wondered if it would hurt to let them on it. Some area's we managed to rake up and put in one corner but there is far too much to lift.
confused.gif

Kallibear

Visit site
No idea either but I'd be interested in the answer as I've had this problem!

If not, go and speak nicely to a friendly farmer and ask if there is a way of lifting it - there should be. They'll be glad of the custom.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Horses are usually turned out here on flailed (strimmed) fields within the week. They probably won't eat the cut grass but if they do it wont hurt them. It's like hay that has got wet, not lawn cuttings.

Godknows

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses are usually turned out here on flailed (strimmed) fields within the week. They probably won't eat the cut grass but if they do it wont hurt them. It's like hay that has got wet, not lawn cuttings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flailed is not strimmed or topped. It is chopped finely like grass cuttings so too small to bale as I've already asked the farmer
confused.gif
It's just that it was three weeks ago it was cut so just wondered if anyone knew if it would be ok now its brown (although going black now its been rained on underneath.
frown.gif

daisycrazy

Visit site
Don't turn them out on it - it will be fermenting/rotting and at best will give them an upset stomach or colic. It will also spoil the grass underneath. Gather it up one way or another. If it can't be bailed then a harrow might collect it together - you'd have to lift the harrow at intervals and transfer the pile of grass underneath to a trailer or barrow.