Hello - I'm new (ish)

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Hi,

I've been lurking for a little while and made the odd post but I have never really introduced myself so I thought I would say hi. I've been a member of an american horse forum for ages but I wanted to get a more English perspective... I've found the HHforum really informative so far!

I own one horse (in my sig). I saved up for years to buy her and she is my pride and joy. She is only 15.2 but she has a huge personality that makes me laugh. She throws more tantrums than my teenage sister! Although she can be very naughty, I love her to bits and she has taught me more about jumping than any horse I've ridden before. We mostly do showjumping at the moment because that is the Big Thing on my livery yard, but I'm going to have a go at some BE next season which should be fun - if we can get the dressage together...

I work part time on a Yard as an instructor/rider which is great because it means I do almost no yard work... just teaching and riding! I don't have my AI yet, but I'm working towards it and riding lots of different horses is really helping. Any advice on the PTT would be most appriciated.

Well, you will probably hear quite a lot from me in the next couple of weeks because I came off a friend's unbacked 4yr old 3 weeks ago and fractured my spine. I've only just been able to sit at a PC and I can't ride or drive yet so I am Very Very bored lol. .

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and please feel free to share your life stories etc and say hello. I have lots of time to read replies
wink.gif
wink.gif

siennamum

Visit site
hi there, your horse looks lovely. There's a good SW contingent here and we are a sociable lot, so welcome
grin.gif

Whereabouts in the SW are you.
Accident sounds nasty. I now make it a rule to do no more crash test dummy type activity - leave that to you young ones
tongue.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum! Your horse is gorgeous! Im very bored too I broke my ankle and collar 11 weeks ago and Ive got another 2 months off work, very bored!!

BBs

Visit site
Welcome!

Bootiful horse you have
smile.gif

I hope you recover quickly from your injuries! - this place should keep you entertained until you get back riding again
smile.gif

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
that owl hole looks like Stockland Lovell...??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, round 1 to the English boards! Yep, the pics were taken at Stockland Lovell fun ride. I'd not done any XC on my horse before so it seemed a good opportunity to have a play and just jump whatever took our fancy. 'm guessing you have ridden round there - it's cool isn't it?

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Hey, my livery yard is on the Somerset/Devon border just off J26 of the M5 right up on the Blackdowns. I've only been here a couple of months (before that I was working on a yard in Chepstow). I grew up in Somerset but I didn't know the Blackdowns at all (wrong side), everyone on my yard is so friendly though, I already feel like an old timer up there.

Hmmm, accident was pretty shocking, I don't think I'll be taking on any more nutters for a while - it brings it home to you just how dangerous horses can be. Can't wait to get back up on mine though :)

Where in the South West are you based?

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Ugh, it sucks doesn't it. I quite enjoyed it for the first 3 days (apart from the being stuck in hospital not allowed to get out of bed part) because it was a bit like a holiday lol. I'd really been needing one of those!

But I am SOOOOOO bored now. How did you do your injuries? 4 months off work is a long time.... I'm guessing you can't ride either? Poor you.
frown.gif

They told me I could try riding again after 6 weeks... so thats only 2.5 weeks to go. I'm counting down the hours.

piaffe

Visit site
Ohhhh hello! another somerset person!
grin.gif

Sorry to hear about your injury. *sighs* some people will do anything to come on HHO!!!!!!
grin.gif
wink.gif

KatB

Visit site
Yep did it as my first PN this year!
smile.gif
Fabby course, and she looks like she's eating the fences up!! Where abouts in Chepstow were you working? I was working bout half an hour away for a few mnths this year......

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Whose yard in Chepstow were you at

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric Winter's yard. I did just under a year there as a working pupil. I learnt loads there but I wasn't very happy...

I used to keep my loan horse, Bob, in Bristol on a working farm in St Werburghes. I used to hack out all over Per Down, through Eastville Park etc. It was amazing. Noone can ever believe that I used to keep my horse in the middle of the city but we used to hack round the roundabout by Ikea in rush hour... how we didn't die I don't know but it was fun!

Where do you keep your horse in Bristol?

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ome people will do anything to come on HHO!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help it, I just need the attention
wink.gif
crazy.gif

I gew up in Langport so I know Yeovil. Actually I passed my driving test in Yeovil so I have a real soft spot for the town!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Which yard were you at? I went to David Broome's a couple of months ago cos I was grooming for my boss's kid at the juniors for Wales and the West. His place is AMAZING, I counted about 7 arenas at least and there were a good 800 looseboxes. He even has his own Derby bank.

Plus they have a bar on site - thats my kind of equestrian centre.
smirk.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I work in St Paul's so am amazed that you kept a horse just down the road.
Know the Winter's place, been there a couple of times.
Keep horses on the A37 at the moment, just outside Whitchurch.
Am moving them to Queen Charlton on Saturday, so still local (I live in Knowle)

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I got Bob from horseworld in Whitchurch so I know it a bit.

Yeah, it is amazing where I used to keep Bob. It was pretty run down but we had about 3 acres and a big american style barn... there was almost no turnout in winter because we needed to save the fields but in the summer it was alright.

We were very rough and ready though, noone clipped, noone schooled, we didn't do shows etc... we just hacked out mostly. I left because I wanted to learn more and get a bit more competative.

Good luck with the move BTW.

KatB

Visit site
I was on the border of the Forest of Dean, working for a NZ event rider..... David Broomes is gorgeous, we went SJ there a few times, a proper yard!! We were actually there on the juniors weekend!! Lucky you grooming the full weekend! It was absolutely sweltering if I remember rightly?! Our horses were going mental at the pony madness!!

jcberry

Visit site
hi! welcome to the forum, hope you get better soon!
laugh.gif

I havent had any serious injurys yet *touchwood* just the bruising lol,

Your horse looks brilliant, really good jumper!! xx

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
It was an amazing weekend - I LOVE ponies so I just spent the whole time cooing over them. Especially the ones that could barely see over the big stable doors and you could just see little noses as you walked past. Too cute lol

I recently qualified my horse for Winter League at David Broome's so I'm hoping to be there again in April. My friend and I are going together plus pretty much everyone at my yard goes as it is one of the big party events of the year. I can't wait!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
thanks
blush.gif
She is much better than me at jumping. On the XC course, i just tend to sit still and try not to get in her way lol.

Well, I think bruising can be just as painful as broken bones. Out of all my injuries from the last fall it is the pulled ligament in my hip that really hurts. Broken spine isn't really bothering me LOL. My instructor said the trick to riding is to keep the horse between you and the ground. This is definately where I went wrong !!!
grin.gif

KatB

Visit site
Lol! The atmosphere was pretty impressive, and we were only there the sat. Couldnt believe the volume of ponies there!! We felt very out of place with our eventers tags on hats, and all the grooms seemed to look glam all the time??!! Loved it though!

Wow, very envious about getting to champs there, can imagine will have some serious fun....

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
's not that impressive... we just jumped a double clear at 2'9 and 3' and we were in
blush.gif
blush.gif
But it is the first thing I've ever qualified for in my entire life so I'm pretty chuffed lol Also quite excited at the prosepct of all the drunk men in the bar on the Saturday night??? ...

I don't know where you were standing but is wasn't near me! I wasn't glam at all. I had a pair of very old jodhpurs on (the ones that have somewhat suspect holes in the seat) and a fleece jumper... Also I was hungover, unwashed and generally unlovely
wink.gif
Still had a wicked time though!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Hi,

I have a Whippet too and am now and trying to decide whether to get another one or try a Weimaraner as someone on my livery yard has one and he is gorgeous!

I've also got a KWPN as shown in my pic but I'm a beginner and so can't tell you about any competitions I've won unfortunately - wish I could!!!!!

Annie