Hello Scotland

klthomason

Visit site
Our family is moving to Scotland this summer after living in Canada for 5 years where my twins (now 13) fell in love with riding. My husband will be attending University of Edinburgh to work on his PhD. We're drawing a big circle around the city and trying to determine the best place to live for maximum horse life. Would love suggestions. Thank you!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Horsey life is abundant….research good riding stables for lessons and try to live near them..my knowledge is Stirling area further west but there are plenty of members here who can steer you in the right direction.

Loubidy

Visit site
Depends what you consider a good horse life! Borders is really good - through summer all the towns do common rides however the roads are very windy so it depends how much you need to commute.

I'm Falkirk which is a brilliant location for going to things with really easy access to venues but the area I'm in good livery yards are all full or DIY yards changing to full livery.

But really depends what you consider "good".

Reactions: TPO

Oreo&Amy

Visit site
Our family is moving to Scotland this summer after living in Canada for 5 years where my twins (now 13) fell in love with riding. My husband will be attending University of Edinburgh to work on his PhD. We're drawing a big circle around the city and trying to determine the best place to live for maximum horse life. Would love suggestions. Thank you!
I have family in Edinburgh, I’ll ask them for advice. There is beautiful countryside right outside the city so I’m sure you won’t struggle to find something. Will get back to you if they know anywhere! X

Oreo&Amy

Visit site
My aunt says Thornton stables/livery is good- I’ve never been and don’t know about it so can’t say personally but worth looking up :)

klthomason

Visit site
Horsey life is abundant….research good riding stables for lessons and try to live near them..my knowledge is Stirling area further west but there are plenty of members here who can steer you in the right direction.

We've arrived and are looking at various places to rent. Stirling might be a possibility. What good riding stables might be there? Would love a place where my girls can make friends, have lessons, and keep horses.

tyner

Visit site
Welcome to Scotland!
Give yourself some time to find your feet, for me moving here it did take some time to find out where we wanted to live and where ticked the boxes when it came to price, convenience and amenities.

You might find Stirling a bit of a hike from Edinburgh Uni so it depends how convenient you need to be.
If you are set on Stirling, Lux https://m.facebook.com/people/LUX-EC/100025890141611/ has a good reputation but I've not been there myself.

What I've found is that everything horsey in Scotland is quite different than what I grew up with in the US. It's even a lot different than what I experienced in England. Things are much more relaxed here than what I am used to.

I'd suggest to give yourself some time to visit a lot of places and get to know people. Make it an adventure for your girls to visit as many places around to find a good fit for you. A lot is done on Facebook or by word of mouth and very little is available online so don't be afraid to out yourself out there and let people know what you are looking for.

It took me a long time to find a good livery yard with nice people, but still not totally settled here. Best of luck and enjoy Scotland.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Hi kithomason…if the Phd is full time I definitely think you should be close to Edinburgh and not live Stirling way…I know it seems very close given the long distances travelled in Canada but in inclement weather it doesn’t take much to stop trains running and close motorways.
However if you do choose Stirling area I’d start riding at Wellsfield, find your feet and expand from there. When you need to find a livery yard use Livery yards in Central Scotland website to help or put another shout out here. I have used a few livery yards in the area..LUX being one.