Helmet struggles

Visit site
I recently got a Charles Owen helmet for showing because my instructor recommended that I not show in a dial-back helmet. I have to really shove it down to get it on my head, and it gives me headaches after 5 seconds of wearing, but at the tack store the employees said it looked like a great fit. I wore it for about 30 seconds there and my head was slightly sore for the next 15 minutes.

I ride hunter jumper so I have to get it all in my helmet, and I have really long hair that I am very attached to. People I have talked to think it might be because my hair is preventing a good fit, but I just can't cut it. My next show is less than a month away and it might be too late to try to get a new one now, plus I don't have the money for a new one and I probably can't return mine since I took the tags off.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help with this? I would really appreciate some advice.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Does it fit without your hair in it, because it sounds as if you are trying to put your hair up in your hat?
If so it won't fit, instead or your hair in a bun and a net for a neat finish

Skib

sites.google.com
I wear my hair in a plait. So does ym. It hangs down my back . About your hat , one should try them a bit longer, but the foam does compress over time and they get looser.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I hope that I am correct. I *think* the OP is in the US and hunter jumper is a competition that we don't have here in the UK. From what I have read, it is the fashion to wear your hair up in your hat but also pulled over your ears for this competition. I also read that Charles Owen representatives despair about that fashion because of the way that it negatively alters the fit of the hat.

No idea what the answer is except to wear you hair out of the hat like it is designed. Maybe you could ask on the COTH forum which has many US forum members?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I hope that I am correct. I *think* the OP is in the US and hunter jumper is a competition that we don't have here in the UK. From what I have read, it is the fashion to wear your hair up in your hat but also pulled over your ears for this competition. I also read that Charles Owen representatives despair about that fashion because of the way that it negatively alters the fit of the hat.

No idea what the answer is except to wear you hair out of the hat like it is designed. Maybe you could ask on the COTH forum which has many US forum members?
Completely agree with all the above.

OP, you'll need a size bigger if you want to adhere to current style with hiding all hair except small side bangs, which then the hat won't fit as it's designed to.

Can you not break out and become an ambassador for hats to fit and hair to be best in a bun?
Good luck!

Visit site
Does it fit without your hair in it, because it sounds as if you are trying to put your hair up in your hat?
If so it won't fit, instead or your hair in a bun and a net for a neat finish
Sorry I don't really understand what you're trying to say but it does fit pretty well without all of my hair in it but it is painful if I put my hair in

Visit site

Yeah hunter jumper is kind of a US thing, I didn't realize this was a british website. However it's not a fashion thing, I am required to wear my hair all the way in the helmet for competition, and my riding instructor specifically recommended the brand Charles Owen... I would so love to wear my hair down long though :(

Visit site
I wear my hair in a plait. So does ym. It hangs down my back . About your hat , one should try them a bit longer, but the foam does compress over time and they get looser.
Ok thanks, but i am not allowed to wear my hair hanging down my back for shows, it has to all go in the helmet, but I don't think the foam could ever compress enough to actually make it comfortable with my hair in it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ok thanks, but i am not allowed to wear my hair hanging down my back for shows, it has to all go in the helmet, but I don't think the foam could ever compress enough to actually make it comfortable with my hair in it.
Charles and Owen hats are not designed to be worn with your hair in them. They are an English make and here we would show with our hair in a bun at the nape of our neck. If you are trying to put your hair into the hat so that it doesn't show at all, then you are going to need a bigger hat. The amount of hair you have will dictate how much bigger the hat needs to be.

Visit site
Charles and Owen hats are not designed to be worn with your hair in them. They are an English make and here we would show with our hair in a bun at the nape of our neck. If you are trying to put your hair into the hat so that it doesn't show at all, then you are going to need a bigger hat. The amount of hair you have will dictate how much bigger the hat needs to be.

Hmm... I was wearing my hair all in the helmet when they fitted me at the tack shop, and even though I mentioned that it was painful but they thought it was a great fit.

Visit site
https://forum.chronofhorse.com/t/hair-out-of-helmet-in-hunter-ring/760901

This thread might be helpful.

Is it your trainer who won't allow you because the impression I get from the linked to thread is that it isn't in the rules that riders have to tuck their hair up into their hats?

I am competing in an IEA show and I'm pretty sure that in most english disciplines you can wear your hair in a bun, but I think that for IEA at least it has to be all in the helmet, or at least that's what my trainer says, but I am not totally sure. I didn't mention it at first but this is also my first show ever and I don't know a ton about horse shows.