Help a hunt virgin!

muffinino

Visit site
Please, no arguing in this post.

I've just broken in a 14.2 trad cob I have on loan, just started on canter work, jumping on the lunge and am hoping to do some shows next year. I live in Cardiff and he is stabled in Rhiwbina (on Wenallt Road for anyone who knows the area). I would love do do a bit of hunting with him over the winter and have got the names/contact details for the local packs so don't need their details so much as a bit of advice.
I've never hunted before (though have jumped x country) and obviously he's green so is it a good idea to take him as it'll be new for both of us? What worries me is I don't really know the 'rules' of hunting and even though I know the theory of what happens, I haven't experienced it and don't want to look a fool! As I don't know anyone who hunts in the area (not sure if people on my yard would want to come) I won't have anyone to guide me.
Another problem is that I don't have transport so might have to hack to the meet - does anyone do this? For anyone who knows the area I can reach Caerphilly mountain from the yard, though it takes a bit of time, and as far as I know there's a Caerphilly and District hunt but not sure where they meet. Do people ever share lifts to meets? It's so annoying not having transport! I should be able to scab a lift to shows but I don't think anyone on my yard hunts so that's no help.
Any advice/help appreciated.

muffinino

Visit site
My apologies to anyone who reads this and finds it less exciting than they hoped!

Some of these questions may seem strange to experienced people but I would really like to try hunting have no contacts/hunting background so am struggling a bit.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
First step would be to give the secretary a bell and find out some decent meets that are ideal for newcomers. He/she can usually find a 'babysitter' for you who will guide you for the day, they might even be able to help you find a transport share or guide you towards meets within hacking distance.

http://www.btinternet.com/~countryside.webservice/ - this is a map of hunting in Wales which shows the territory allocated to the Caerphilly and other local hunts. Not as good as Baily's version but it will give you a handle.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
Hun, its a great idea taking him out, Hunting was the first thing my Horse did after we broke him in and he was sooo good! Defiently take him, and dont worry about not knowing anyone you will make friends, and yes i have hacked to meets before! xx

Fairynuff

Visit site
First of all contact the people who actually own the horse and ask them permission to take him hunting. Not all owners are happy that their horse is hunted for various reasons. If they say yes then go. Best place for you both is at the back of the field. Explain your situation and try to find a "plodder" to keep you company. Make sure your brakes are working! If you really have to do it then enjoy it.Good education for a youngster. Mairi :crazy:

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I used to live not far from Caerphilly and there are quite a few hunts round there which are good for youngsters. Most of them hunt up on the hills with minimal jumping and not a lot of hooning about. I used to hunt with the Gelligaer Farmers - never jumped a single thing all season (was boring when on a nice one, but felt a huge sense of relief when on a breaker).
It will bring on you and your horse tremendously and should really cement your partnership, you definetly ought to make the effort and go.
Ring the hunt secretary and have a chat, there will be someone there who will help you out on your first day and im sure after that you will have made freinds with pretty much everyone. Im sure someone will help with lifts, if its convenient for them.
As for hacking to meets, I regularly do this. I have a few horses that I wouldnt hunt otehrwise, and the majority hack home in the dark.

Sage

Visit site
Sorry Muffino, read post as "Help hunting a virgin" Posted by Muffanyone, must get some new glasses and reorganise my Favorites!