help/advice around looking for a companion

princessa81

Visit site
hi guys need your help...im in the middle of trying to convince my husband that our tb needs a friend as he lives alone at present. he is happy as larry in my eyes but i feel as horses are herd animals with need for company/grooming/play that longer term he needs a bit of company. does it need to be a horse? what out goings other than some form of insurance/farrier/feed is needed?

he isnt isolated as he lives in the farmers back garden/field with 2 donkeys across the field, and cows and goats across the other fence. he is always found grazing with a family of deer at the bottom of the field, but i wonder if he needs more equine company or is this menagerie of animals enough for him?

my husband and i would both love more horses but it is the cost that is worrying him as he is well aware that we cant just re home a garden ornament and forget about upkeep eg vet,feet,and feed, with the added cost of field rent for another equine impacting on the grass.

thanks in advance
x

PandorasJar

Visit site
Why not chat to the farmer about having a couple of his cows in with the horse? Great field management, horses will graze grass better with cows in and there's company.

Failing that sheep? They tend to be used as scratching posts :D

Pan

princessa81

Visit site
Pan thanks!

unfortunately it's not that simple as the farmer we rent field from also rents his fields to other surrounding farmers. the land owner/farmer/our land lord doesnt actually have any of his own livestock so if we were to take a cow from another farmer we would still need to pay for the animal eating the grass/impact on field...that make sense? : (
fortunately as we have a great relationship with land lord we might be able to come to another arrangement for a horse/companion/field ornament.
it's more about the financial impact that i need to convince my long suffering but very supportive hubby : )

Elizabeth
x

Dawng

Visit site
Perhaps someone local has got an old or young horse that would keep you horse company and they could share your grazing costs too?

princessa81

Visit site
Dawng! how would i go about finding out as i am not in the horsey world and not in a yard. i always kept myself to myself so no contacts.

thanks
x

PandorasJar

Visit site
Post an ad in local tack shops/country stores etc offering grazing for a fair rate :)

Do a nominal amount to cover maintaining the field. Also get a contract in place, always worth it!

ponypilotmum

Visit site
You could ask farmer if you could share your field with another owner, that way you won't have costs. Advertise in local tack shops.

You could also try the blue cross etc as they often have companions for loan.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have two hardy companion ponies (welshies) and they cost next to nothing on the grand scheme of things. However of course, you need to be sure you have that money there for them.
Remember though, that a new addition might bond very strongly to your horse and if you intend to ride your horse, could end up being more of a hassle than a help ;) Been there... :D

princessa81

Visit site
I have two hardy companion ponies (welshies) and they cost next to nothing on the grand scheme of things. However of course, you need to be sure you have that money there for them.
Remember though, that a new addition might bond very strongly to your horse and if you intend to ride your horse, could end up being more of a hassle than a help ;) Been there... :D

this has given me food for thought! im seeing things from an other angle.

amy may thanks for that but i think they are in lincs and i am in glasgow... im trying to work out logistics sensibly as in some one closer to home as i know how much it is to travel a horse : ( Buzz cost a fortune to bring from England!

i actually saw an ad on tv last night that made me cry (not difficult at mo as im a hormonal wreck!) it was for rehoming abused donkeys. i love donkeys.

i have a lot to think about with regards to costing the whole venture out. im speaking to farmer/land lord tmrw to see what he says.

thanks all for ure help

Elizabeth
xx

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
What about these donkeys...if yours can see them and all the other animals and seems happy to you then maybe he's ok on his own?

...just off to get my tin hat!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have a chestnut gelding that is obsessed with my grey mare. He goes nuts if they are separated (even though there are two other horses still with him) so I've been working on the problem. I've been parting them for a few minutes and building up the time that they are apart up slowly. It's really working and he does now believe that she will come back, but still neighs when she first goes and neighs when she returns. However the mad galloping while shouting desperately for her has stopped.

I've had two horses kept together with no others before and again you have to build up the length of the separation slowly. I stabled the one left behind with a haynet and a weaving grill on the door. After two weeks I was able to go for an hours hack with no trouble. A few months later I could leave the one left behind in the field and apart from the odd neigh, they got on with grazing. :)

princessa81

Visit site
What about these donkeys...if yours can see them and all the other animals and seems happy to you then maybe he's ok on his own?

...just off to get my tin hat!

well that's what we (me and OH thought) but just wanna make sure he is being fulfilled and not missing out...he pals up with the family of deer to graze (out of sight at bottom of field) and i usually find him standing next to the cow and goats when we arent there....
actually if u want a laugh??? when i school him at bottom of field the cow,goats,and deer all watch at fence! the funniest bit is when he misbehaves and throws me off the cow always lets out a massive MOOOOOOOOOO! lol

ihatework

Visit site
Why not offer a cheap retirement livery? My retired horse is a companion, help the person needing a companion out of a hole, my horse gets treated like a king for a moderate monthly contribution from myself.

princessa81

Visit site
I have a chestnut gelding that is obsessed with my grey mare. He goes nuts if they are separated (even though there are two other horses still with him) so I've been working on the problem. I've been parting them for a few minutes and building up the time that they are apart up slowly. It's really working and he does now believe that she will come back, but still neighs when she first goes and neighs when she returns. However the mad galloping while shouting desperately for her has stopped.

I've had two horses kept together with no others before and again you have to build up the length of the separation slowly. I stabled the one left behind with a haynet and a weaving grill on the door. After two weeks I was able to go for an hours hack with no trouble. A few months later I could leave the one left behind in the field and apart from the odd neigh, they got on with grazing. :)

thanks faracat....again another angle to see it from. definately got a lot of foot/home work to do x thanks again
Elizabeth

princessa81

Visit site
Why not offer a cheap retirement livery? My retired horse is a companion, help the person needing a companion out of a hole, my horse gets treated like a king for a moderate monthly contribution from myself.

how would i go about finding these people who have retired horses looking for a companion home?any ideas?
thanks again
Elizabeth
x

asommerville

Visit site
u go do a wee trip to a certain dealer not far down the road from glasgow and pick up a poor wee soul for next to nothing....thats tempting me at the mo

mightymammoth

Visit site
the offering cheap retirement livery is a very good idea, failing that why don't you contact a charity such as blue cross? They have loads of companion horses/ponies and you only ever have them on loan so if your circumstances change you can give him/her back. I think they will also help with costs of the loan horse ie if they take medications here's an example of a lovely native that's looking for a home (if the link works) http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2584-104592/2/poppy-2.html?

princessa81

Visit site
the offering cheap retirement livery is a very good idea, failing that why don't you contact a charity such as blue cross? They have loads of companion horses/ponies and you only ever have them on loan so if your circumstances change you can give him/her back. I think they will also help with costs of the loan horse ie if they take medications here's an example of a lovely native that's looking for a home (if the link works) http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2584-104592/2/poppy-2.html?

thanks Victoria....im looking at blue cross as we speak!

Elizabeth
x

EmmaC78

Visit site
If you are on Facebook there are quite a few horse groups in scotland. You could advertise on there to see if anyone wants to share your grazing.

WHW have a charity rehoming place near Aberdeen and are always looking for companion homes.

princessa81

Visit site
If you are on Facebook there are quite a few horse groups in scotland. You could advertise on there to see if anyone wants to share your grazing.

WHW have a charity rehoming place near Aberdeen and are always looking for companion homes.

hey emma what are the groups called?il go have a look. i hardly use facebook and im not in the horsey world so dont have any contacts.

thanks again
Elizabeth
x

EmmaC78

Visit site
There is one called Equestrian Scotland, another called Horses for Sale in Scotland which is for general horse adverts. A few of the riding clubs local to you also have pages - like Strathendrick - so you could put a post on there. If you can't find them PM me and I can give you a hand as I am in most of the local FB horsey groups.

princessa81

Visit site
There is one called Equestrian Scotland, another called Horses for Sale in Scotland which is for general horse adverts. A few of the riding clubs local to you also have pages - like Strathendrick - so you could put a post on there. If you can't find them PM me and I can give you a hand as I am in most of the local FB horsey groups.

Emma you are a star....im gonna go have a mooch just now and see if i see anything x
Thanks again
Elizabeth
x