Help Advice Bringing in Spooky Ponies

Joyous70

Visit site
My two boys sometimes get spooked at night when being lead in up the track, and i have on one occasion lost them both :eek:

My main problem is my 14.2hh who if spooked can just take off with no notice, and as i know he is capable of pulling me over am wary of him when hes wound up as hes dragged me face down in the mud before :eek:

Whats the best way to handle them when they are wound up? should i use a bridle on my 14.2hh to try and hold him?

I can't bring them in separately, as neither will stay out without the other, its about 10 minutes walk in pitch black, with ditches to one side and there isn't usually any one around to help, plus i worry that if someone did come & help they would get hurt :( asking YO to bring in in daylight isn't an option. So its just me on my own.:eek:

Coffee & Doughnuts to all who got this far :)

Joyous70

Visit site
would any bridle & bit combo do? Im just thinking i could use a spare bridle with no reins & use lead rope attached to a chain on the bridle?

WandaMare

Visit site
Yes i would use bridle (whichever pony is used to) and you could always carry some treats in your hand to keep their attention on you.

When my OH brings my 2 in they can be really naughty. Having the treats to hand seems to really work, I think they would follow him in with no halters on as long as they know he has some food :)

Joyous70

Visit site
Thanks, will try tonight with his bridle on, the problem with carrying treats and leading up 2 ponies is that i'll probably get mugged :rolleyes:

Suziq77 - would be interested in getting a dually for this reason, however, was looking for a short term answer, i.e. as in tonight (sorry - i know i didn't post that originally) but last night they got left out, as they were hoolying around the field like idiots & i knew i would have problems with the bigger one

Joyous70

Visit site
You should always try and take someone with you in case YOU get hurt. Otherwise leave them out until there is someone to help.

Up until 2 or 3 weeks ago I had someone who would come down with me & fetch the lil guy in while i bought monster face in, but they have left the yard, and im usually on my own down there most evenvings.

After the 3rd bronco session up and down the field with his feet barely touching the floor, i decided as i was alone, i was more important than them coming in for the night ;)

Brandy

Visit site
Definately invest in a dually. This worked wonders with my idiotic welsh. I have to say (and will probably get shot down for this) I didn;t do hours of training with it, Ipopped it on and when he started misbehaving, gave a little pull. It worked.

Brandy

Visit site
Meant to add - I was also last down at the yard bringing two in in the dark with no other option.

I thikn the Duallys are differnt colour for different sizes - i have a black one which is fine for my chunky welsh 13.2.

Suziq77

Visit site
I thikn the Duallys are differnt colour for different sizes - i have a black one which is fine for my chunky welsh 13.2.

They are - the black one fits my 15hh warmblood fine too. The red ones are teeny and the blue ones are enormous so I'd day if in doubt get black!

Joyous70

Visit site
I think i will need a black one for my boy he's 14.2hh chunky(ish) type, normally wears a cob size bridle or headcollar.

Where's best to buy one from? and how do they actually work? :eek:

Brandy

Visit site
if you buy a new one you get a dvd on how to use and training to use it.

They have an extra rope across the nose, with a ring at each end, so your lead rope is attached to a ring at the side - this rope is sliding so if you pull the lead rope it tightens across the nose - and releases immediately that you stop the pressure.

Rubbish description!

You can get them second hand off ebay.

My boy is still lively but tend to jog at the side of me now rather than drag me all over the shop!