Help, advice needed on arsenic poisoning...

soph21

Visit site
Yesterday afternoon my friend brought her horses in from the field and her horse was sweating in several places- partly down his neck, his flanks and his rump and bum. They weren't galloping around or anything.
When she went to tack him up he stood at the back of the stable looking sorry for himself, but we only went out for a quiet walking hack at 7pm.
I text her earlier and asked if he was OK today and she just rang me to say that he's been the same this afternoon but won't even let her brush him, he's dribbling a bit too.
I've tried doing a google search on arsenic poisoning in horses and can't find anything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks xx

soph21

Visit site
She just asked me to look it up and I thought you guys would be able to tell me the symptoms, she has got a big waste mound in her field.

xx

D

Donkeymad

Has the horse been licking or eating from the mound, and how long has he been in the field. Arsenic Poisoning is a cumulative poison and needs to be literally eaten to have an effect. I'd just call the vet.

soph21

Visit site
Her OH saw him eating up there today, they have been in that part of the field for about a week. He seems very sedate and quiet. She said that when she went to brush him he was showing the whites of his eyes, which is very unlike Ted, he loves being brushed etc...

D

Donkeymad

It's in our land down here and the mound is probably from mining, hence the arsenic problem.
Sophie, I don't think one week is enough, unless he has been stuffing himself with it.

Edited to say - just read Gemima's link, doesn't sound like it at all.

jewel

Visit site
i've seen a couple with arsenic poisoning and they have gone very skinny very quickly. the field the gypsy use to use up united road is full of it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So just to get this right....

Horse came in from the field, not looking himself.

Stood in the stable, not looking himself.

Your friend rode him, not looking himself.........

I wonder at what point she'll decide to get the vet
frown.gif