Help and advise worst 2 weeks ever

miss_bird

Visit site
Hi folks
Hope you are sitting comfortably this will be a long one.
2 weeks ago 2 year old gelding cant retract his penis and all swollen, having to massage every day and pop it back in and hold it in place, 2 weeks later less swollen but still not going back.
nearly 2 weeks ago laminitic mare wearing heart bars had most of her sole cut away and prob gonna end up having a reasection.
end of last week after bloods taken on another mare, think she has malabsorbtion syndrome, having a glucose test on monday.
tonight 5 week old foal has broken her leg just above the fetlock so in a splint, now have to wait for monday for x-rays.
so come monday laminitic having hospital plates on, other mare having a glocose test, gelding may have to have penis stitch in, and foal having x-rays.
so if any of you have had horses with any of the above probs, please can you let me know the outcome, preferably with good news or i may just have to go find the nearest motorway bridge.
Thank you all kindly

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
None of the above but good grief, what bad luck! It sounds as though they are all having a 'Who Can Have the Worst Illness/ Injury' competition. Hope they all recover soon. And stay away from them motorway bridges..

Angelbones

Visit site
Good grief - sounds like a week on my yard :(

It seems to be a sad fact of life that the more horses you have the more likely you are to have more problems - how depressing.

We have 9 on the yard at the mo, and only 2 are able to be ridden for one reason or another, and believe me we do take good care of them. I have months some times that make me not want to carry on and wonder why on earth I'm doing it.

I have no experience of any of those injuries but just wanted to say keep going, hopefully things will work out and you'll be onto sunnier pastures before you know it. Chin up hun x

0ldmare

Visit site
Oh no, poor you, what a horrible time you're having!

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of any of those but very best of luck for Monday!

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Gosh, I am sorry. Cannot help with any of the above as i have not experienced it first hand. However, i do feel for you. Definitely having a stroke (or thump!) of bad luck at the moment - hopefully things *can* only get better.

The only thing I can say that when something is not right my best friend becomes google - and I research like crazy.

Best of luck to you and your lovely horses. Hopefully they will be well soon. XXX

amy_b

Visit site
a foal on my yard broke a bone in its foot and made a full recovery and another 6 yr old mare broke her fetlock and made a full recovery. good thing is with foals they have 3 years to recover.... I'm sure s/he'l be fine.
keep smiling :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh hun, have a hug.

A friend's gelding is having he same penis problem. Been at the vet's for three days now. It went very, very cold and swollen and he couldn't retract it. It's warmer now, but more swollen. The vets are thinking a kick did it.

As to the others, just sending thoughts and be well soon wishes.

Nettle123

Visit site
What an awful time you are having !.

A mare of ours had a resection on both front feet at the laminitis clinic. It saved her life and we had her for another 10 years after recovering, she came completely sound. Hope things improve for you.

kerilli

Visit site
crikey, big sympathy for your horrible run of bad luck, that's horses though, it sounds as though you're having a few years' worth of crap shoved into a 2 week period. just keep on keeping on, as they say. hope everything recovers well and you don't have to see a vet for ages after this lot are sorted.
only one i have some 2nd hand experience of - a friend's stallion had a similar problem with its penis after a kick, and made a full recovery.

miss_bird

Visit site
Well had xrays today and not looking good, RVC want £7000 to fit pins and plates on the foal, and as much as it upsets me i just do not have that money to spare and the only other option is the one i am trying not to think of.
Thankfully my vets are just superstars and are trying to find anyway they can to sort the problem.
The gelding went throught the cold and swollen part but with many days of massaging and popping it back in it has gone down, the vets at new market think that as there is a nerve in the hind quarters that attached to the muscle that helps the penis retract some how the nerve has got damaged, now just hoping that it is bruised and not broken.

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
For someone whos just had a particularly long run of bad luck culminating in my JRT getting run over, you have my heartfelt sympathies. I do not have any experience of all the ailments but I am sure some folk on here will be able to offer some advice. Its just terrible when things just keep piling up like this and all I can say is try to slow down, and give your self time to do whats necessary and try to cut back on the not so important.

I always find bad luck like this comes when I am rushed or stressed in some way.
Maybe you can look back and see if that was in anyway a contributing factor.

I know my dog took himself over the garden wall to his death, because I was stressing about the prospect of riding my youngster again, and was distracted, and did not notice the dog was gone until I heard the phone ringing to tell me he had been hit.
Best wishes and hope this soon passes and that all your animals recover quickly.

Rosehip

Visit site
Huge sympathy from me, I havent had 1st hand experience of any of the problems, but know 2 or 3 horses who have had resection and all have recovered well, hope that is of a little comfort to you :(
With regards your geldings penis, my colt had the reverse problem, in that he couldnt put his out, and was discovered to have skin forming on the 'folds' that had to be cut.... he has gone on to be absolutely fine, so hopefully your boy will be ok too. It might be an idea to put his problem in 'Vets' and your foals break problem in the Breeding section, I got a huge amount of help in there when I was having problems with my broodmare, and the breeders dont often venture in here.
Sorry Im not more help, sending you some hugs and a slug of sloe gin instead x

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Crikey what a nightmare for you :(
I hope your vets find a solution for your foal - and that the nerve damage is only temporary - it really does make you wonder why we do it sometimes doesn't it - i'm sending you huge healing (((VIBES)))
Kate x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry I can't help with experience of any of those treatments but I can certainly offer sympathy, having been in the position of having multiple animals needing the vet at once, several times - usually on Bank Holidays!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so sorry that your horses are having such a terrible time, it must be so awful for you. I wish them all the best of luck in their recoveries. I have my fingers crossed that the vet comes up with a good solution to help the foal's leg.

miss_bird

Visit site
Vets are being fab, they just rang to say they are all working at looking into seeing if the op is viable.
They will have to hire in all the padding for the stable to make operating room, an anethasist (sp) as Pridle will be under for a long time and the fact it will be a small animal vet doing the op assisted by an equine vet.
It will be a complete first as this op has not been done before outside of a hospital so they want to make sure that it has more than a 90% chance so she is not just a test and it goes wrong, if it is done they want to make sure it is all for Prides welfare.
So back to fingers crossed for monday.
Thanks again for all your support

Ravenwood

Visit site
Terribly sorry to hear of all these awful things going wrong for you and your horses :(

What an agonising weekend you are going to have but all fingers crossed here for a successful outcome xx