Help and input hugely appreciated!! (dissertation!)

AatHarv

Visit site
Hello, I am doing my dissertation on risk taking behaviour and it's influence on participation in the different disciplines and the level of success within this discipline.

There's hardly and research into psychology within equestrianism and with it being such a high risk sport I think it's an area which will be both interesting and beneficial to us (as riders) to study!!

This link is to a questionnaire which includes a number of questions which will help to measure your risk taking tendencies.

There is a full description of the study on the questionnaire, which can be filled in by those who are competing at ANY affiliated level in BD, BS or BE and are aged between 18-40. All responses will be completely annonymous (all of these terms are, again, explained on the qyuestionnaire itself).

Your input would be greatly appreciated as the more responses I get the more reliable the results I get will be!! The questionnaire should only take a MAX of 10 minutes to complete

Thanks so much, in advance :)

LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CHP8B8W

Any questions feel free to ask!!!! :) :) :)

ThePony

Visit site
Done, good luck with your work!

Might be worth considering your age categories though, people over 40 do compete lol!

AatHarv

Visit site
Hellooo, thank you very much :)

Haha I know this was one of the main issues when I was planning it... There is lots of research into risk taking behaviour in other sports which were aimed at those in their teens, 20s and 30s but nothing on equine and for my research and discussion etc to make sense I needed to keep it within these age categories to make sure they relate to similar studies!!

Otherwise there would have been no age limit!!

Thank you again :)

AatHarv

Visit site
Ahh well thank you anyway for checking!! Soooo annoying that I had to do it like that but needed to fit in with other sport studies as it's not just equine related!! Thanks :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Would have done it but its for people who affiliate. I compete a fair but in Dressage an the occasional bit if jumping but can't afford to affiliate.

AatHarv

Visit site
Oh sorry... Nothing against those that don't!!! Just the same as with the age limits, I had to put definite scales on it so that it's easier to analyse etc. Thanks anyway though!!

Tash88

Visit site
I'm not competing at affiliated competitions yet so can't participate. But I am doing a PhD on the horse/human relationship and equestrianism as a leisure career, and risk is a big part of it. Your study sounds very interesting - if you need any external help/references then feel free to PM me.

AatHarv

Visit site
Why is there an age limit of 40?

Hi, I put that in a few replies back but just because I'm not doing a purely equine related dissertation. I do Equestrian Sport Science and it's related to risk taking in all sports. The studies in other sports tend to be limited to lower age groups and to keep my study relevant I had to do it that way!!
Would have loved to have not had a limit on the age, as that's not how it works in equestrianism and would have definitely got alot more replies!

AatHarv

Visit site
Hello. Thanks very much :) I've found it so hard finding enough on SJ and Dressage... theres lots on eventing though so my research seems a bit unbalanced. Very annoying!!