Help!!! Big dilemma with my horse :( :( :(

LS1993

Visit site
So, where do I start? I have a 5yo warmblood who, due to rider (me) not being allowed to ride (concussed and not allowed for three weeks) has been put on full livery. He'd had a couple or weeks or so of limited work beforehand due to a few unfortunate situations (seriously feeling like one thing after another atm!)
He's quite the cheeky character so we thought it was a good chance for him to get some serious bootcamp off an actual professional rider (As hard as I try, I'm never going to be as good as the YO-she seriously has a way with horses!).We started on Sunday, and he's been worked very hard every day, as he should be!!
Today I got a call from YO who said he didn't feel right when she was hacking him out. She said he felt sort of bunched up under the saddle and stiff. He wasn't working from behind very much and seemed kind of uncomfortable. Apparently when she had lunged him before he had been fine though. I came up and hopped on and instantly I could tell he wasn't very comfortable. YO then trotted on him to show me further and my horse who usually has a very very floaty trot seemed to have lost those movements. He wasn't lame and he wasn't uneven but just didn't feel or look right. Before I got there they had done all sorts of tests to see if they could pull up the source of the problem but there was nothing. Because he had been fine before he was ridden they suspected it was his back, but again there was nothing obvious.

Now there's a few things we thought it was; it could be a musucular problem but there really wasn't anything you could see without x-raying. It's only because YO and I know the horse well that we knew something was up. Others watching thought they couldn't see anything.
Secondly the saddle he has on is not his. It's my other horse's but fitted him well enough so when we bought him we thought it'd be ok until he filled out a bit. It's never been a problem before but it might be an issue.
Thirdly he could just be a little stiff after having had a few really hard days of work that he's not used to, and just felt a little fatigued.

We thought we'd leave it til Saturday until we exercise again and we'll go from there. However, when I was grooming him later on I noticed he had a fifty pence sized, weeping sore where his girth goes. He's had these before and we put on a sheepskin girth sleeve to let it heal. Since September though he's been back on a very very soft leather girth which was fine until now-perhaps the increased work and increased sweating has induced it. Anyway I wondered whether or not it being painful on his side would make him unwilling to move properly and uncomfortable. Can this happen? He is a bit of a wuss. It seemed possible as when being lunged without tack today he was ok.

Thanks for reading this far, I'd love to know your thoughts about the mystery-ailment!

ridefast

Visit site
Could be hocks, have you done any flexion tests? Have you had a vet look at him? Have you tried a bute trial to see if there's any difference?

spike123

Visit site
girth galls are extremely sore so yes it's perfectly possible that is why he is unhappy. If he is now getting more work than he is used to that would also explain a possible muscular soreness. The sheepskin girth sleeve is a good idea but if you do need to keep him worked then make sure you put loads of sudocreme type cream over the gall and use the sheepskin sleeve. Once healed they say surgical spirit is good for hardening the skin to prevent a re occurance of them. Make sure you let the YO know that he has a girth gall as then she can be extra careful to ensure that he is properly washed down after work

LS1993

Visit site
Could be hocks, have you done any flexion tests? Have you had a vet look at him? Have you tried a bute trial to see if there's any difference?

Don't think it's hocks as he's fine not being ridden. I believe flexion tests were done. As I said he wasn't lame.
Thought we'd leave it til Saturday to call vet. Vet nurse on the yard had a look but couldn't see anything.

As I said it was today so not tried bute trial yet.

Surreydeb

Visit site
Your horse has a girth gall, yes that would make it uncomfortable/ change his way of going. I wouldn't be girthing up / riding again until properly healed, sheepskin sleeve or not - would you wear tight shoes rubbing on an open burst blister?

LS1993

Visit site
He's a chestnut so has veeery fragile skin. I shouldn't have stopped using it but it seemed ok for a while.

I guess I just really want the way of his going to have been changed by the gall, because at least that's a treatable and simple source of a problem that could be much worse.
Saying that, if it is just a case of him just being worked out more than he's used to that's easier to deal with too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
You mention the saddle isn't his, did you get a saddler to check the fit when you got him? Either way I'd be inclined to get the saddler to check tack and have a physio give him a once over just in case he is suffering from some soreness.

LS1993

Visit site
You mention the saddle isn't his, did you get a saddler to check the fit when you got him? Either way I'd be inclined to get the saddler to check tack and have a physio give him a once over just in case he is suffering from some soreness.

No, but we had someone to check it who has 50 years+ experience with horses and fitting saddles and honestly I would trust more than a saddler.
We planned on getting the saddler out soon anyway. We'll definitely get the physio if it continues.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Girth galls are painfull. He could also be stiff from increased work also. But I wonder if infact he tied up?

That was my first thought but couldn't remember the 'new' name for it so kept quiet, it would account for the stiff, bunched feeling. Trouble is I think its one of those things that unless you have seen it you wouldn't recognise it immediately.

LS1993

Visit site
That was my first thought but couldn't remember the 'new' name for it so kept quiet, it would account for the stiff, bunched feeling. Trouble is I think its one of those things that unless you have seen it you wouldn't recognise it immediately.

We did wonder about him being tied up, and it could still be tied up. His back legs were certainly not as happy as his front legs. But he did not seem to be in much pain and his back felt as supple/soft as ever...

Corner Mad House

Visit site
What struck me was that I would get a chiropractor or osteopath in to check him out if you have not already done that. Horses can do silly things in their stable as well as when turned out and if he is young and not particularly strong then he can easily put something out. Am speaking from experience here!

MS123

Visit site
Sounds as if he's stiff due to the increased work, that combined with the girth sore he's probably feeling a little under the weather. I'd definitely get a physio out to check him over, get a saddler out, then wait until the sore has cleared up (then continue to use the girth sleeve).

My mare was exactly the same a few weeks ago, one day was absolutely fine working well, the next was just "off". Had the physio out and she'd slightly strained her muscle due to increased work-load. Few days rest and she was back to normal... I really wouldn't worry! :)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Spike123 said most of it, he's got a girth gall which is very painful and the fact he's been put into serious work which from you have said he didn't have before, so I should think his back and everything else aches like mad. Has nobody thought about building him up slowly workwise.

Bantry

Visit site
Considering his age and the increase in work there might be a splint on the way. In the early stages it can be not enough to make them lame but enough to make it feel like he's lost some of his movement.

Now there's a few things we thought it was; it could be a musucular problem but there really wasn't anything you could see without x-raying.

A good physio would be able to find any obvious problems before you get into xrays. Is there any chance he could have been cast at any stage?

The girth gall could well be enough to make him feel choppy and short.

Finally considering his age keep a close eye on the saddle, they can have overnight growth spurts and begin to broaden in width. Saddles can quickly start to pinch which will definitely effect his movement.

LS1993

Visit site
Ok, I may have mis-lead you a bit with my wording. He's not doing work that he's not done before; he's had intensity with me but I don't usually have the time to do it with him every day. The difference now is that he is working hard every day. Don't worry, he hasn't gone from light hacking to two hours of cantering over night...!

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Kamfira, please read your post again. He's gone from you couldn't do it with him every day-------To he's working hard every day, so really he has gone from light hacking to 2 hours cantering over night....!

LS1993

Visit site
Kamfira, please read your post again. He's gone from you couldn't do it with him every day-------To he's working hard every day, so really he has gone from light hacking to 2 hours cantering over night....!

*facepalm* Reread my post, I don't see a problem with what I said.

When I rode him myself he would have a mixture of intensities throughout the week depending on the time I had. It varied between half an hour of schooling on time-limited days to over an hour of schooling or going for long, gallopy tiring hacks on days when I had more time. I couldn't do that everyday. Since going on full livery he has had at least an hour of schooling every day.

Bantry

Visit site
*facepalm* Reread my post, I don't see a problem with what I said.

When I rode him myself he would have a mixture of intensities throughout the week depending on the time I had. It varied between half an hour of schooling on time-limited days to over an hour of schooling or going for long, gallopy tiring hacks on days when I had more time. I couldn't do that everyday. Since going on full livery he has had at least an hour of schooling every day.

We maybe interpreting some of what you're saying incorrectly, but an hours daily schooling is a lot for a 5 year old!

LS1993

Visit site
We maybe interpreting some of what you're saying incorrectly, but an hours daily schooling is a lot for a 5 year old!

I guess I'm including the lunging we're doing as well in that hour, which is more to let him release a bit of that extra energy. Definitely don't think I'm being very clear right now, it's getting late and I'm stressed about this and all sorts of other things, so losing track of articulation!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Well at the risk of you having to hit yourself in the face again, I too will say that this seems to be too quick an increase in his work load for a five year old. I would also question the ability of the YO if she didn't notice an open girth gall!
This young horse is likely to end up soured if this regime continues IMO