Help - Bob's rehabbed and working but...

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I'm terrified of the injury re-occuring. The bone chip has dissolved, the swelling is down but a bit of scarring which I'm assured is not going to interfere and the suspected suspensory branch injury seems fine. *He's jumped over wheelbarrows onto concrete, rodeo'd round the arena with me for kicks ;), when loose he's been galloping, bucking, leaping, rearing, spinning, skidding to halt - spin then off again etc with no problem. He's done approx 12 weeks work, starting at walk, progressing to trot and canter and has jumped a few times over last 2 weeks. All fine, vet saw him on monday and is happy with progress and said to just kick on.

I'm wondering when will be safe to start jumping proper tracks again (and at what height?), then when to go out and compete. He really does seem fine and if there was a problem, I'd have thought with all his antics it would have flared up, so should I just return to normal (as per his fitness) or keep on just doing bits at home? He was jumping Discovery before this.

Also has anyone any tips on fittening a horse that wont hack out? I used the gallops before but not sure thats a good idea now, or am I being silly?

Agh!

Tea/Coffe and double choc chip maryland cookies are on offer. Thanks for reading!

Starbucks

Visit site
I'm kind of in a similar position, vet said 3 months re-hab after check ligament injury which I did but because I didn't get him rescanned I got a big slating on here... so left him another 2 months (nothing exciting goes on in Feb and Mar anyway) before doing anything "fun".

I'm starting my plans now! He's been ticking along so I jumped him the other day (little stuff) and I'm going to do some hacks with lots of cantering and probably 1 or 2 more jumping sessions and then my plan is to take him unafill SJ a week on Sat, then reg him BS for the sat after. Then I'm hoping to do my first event in June, after more fittening work. :)

Think you've just got to go for it!

Starbucks

Visit site
Oh and on your last point - I'm an irresponsible rider and we used to gallop everywhere which caused issues in the winter when we could only walk/trot in our gallop areas!! We've had a couple of buggering off moments but I think he's a better mannered horse now!

Put something in his mouth that you can hold him in and have a canter. ;)

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I'm kind of in a similar position, vet said 3 months re-hab after check ligament injury which I did but because I didn't get him rescanned I got a big slating on here... so left him another 2 months (nothing exciting goes on in Feb and Mar anyway) before doing anything "fun".

I'm starting my plans now! He's been ticking along so I jumped him the other day (little stuff) and I'm going to do some hacks with lots of cantering and probably 1 or 2 more jumping sessions and then my plan is to take him unafill SJ a week on Sat, then reg him BS for the sat after. Then I'm hoping to do my first event in June, after more fittening work. :)

Think you've just got to go for it!

Ok I'll just grit my teeth and try not to go bald with worry! lol Here's hoping we have happy, healthy horses this year (and the next ones too)! :D

I just wish I could do more for fittening than school work, but he just isnt safe to hack out. :(