Help - Calling all folk with traditional/heavy cob feathers

Mucking out - still

Visit site
That's the horse, not the owner ?

Through almost all of the 16 years we've had our cob, he's had his legs clipped. He gets 'cob knee' quite badly. All four legs get greasy, dandruff and left alone, it collects in any crease and can become sore and scabby. Over winter we left his legs and he now has a lovely set of very thick feathers which we'd like to keep, so long as we can keep them dandruff-free. I've been combing them daily and think I'm keeping them clear, but I know it's really hard to spot areas before they become a problem.

What do you do to keep the legs dandruff and sore-free?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I can't and I've tried everything. These days, I largely leave their legs alone. The more I mess with mallenders/sallenders, the more sore I make their legs. Left alone, they can look a bit unsightly but they cause no pain or lameness. My horses are on no sugar/alfalfa etc, so diet isn't a factor. One of mine has hyperkeratosis and gets really cruddy lower legs. I had her sedated once, clipped her to the bone and spent hours scrubbing off the yellow, cheesy crud. I will never have hairy cobs again. Ever. Don't even start me on mites either.....

Highmileagecob

Visit site
A shampoo containing selenium. I use Selsun 2.5% and it keeps old Dobbin itch free. Ideally, start with a full body bath, right down to the soles of the feet, leave on for ten minutes, then rinse well. You can probably get away with scrubbing legs from knee/hock to soles on day five and day ten. This will break the life cycle of any mites that may be present. Watch like a hawk for symptoms flaring again, or signs of itchiness, and shampoo again as soon as seen. Be careful to avoid any broken skin when shampooing.
Selsun can be purchased from the internet, and Selsun Blue is a weaker version that doesn't always work. Good luck!

nagblagger

Visit site
My mare has the mite injection from the vet as still very 'unsure' of her back legs being brushed etc (still work in progress), the other has frontline on his feathers - touch wood- appears to work. Haven't washed or used creams etc.

SEL

Visit site
3 with feathers for my sins. One was fully clipped for a lameness work up in Feb and her skin wasn't too bad underneath, but it's getting very scabby as they grow back

If you can wash without a meltdown then I used to do a monthly wash starting with heads & shoulders (Selsun is probably better), then 2nd wash would be a dog flea shampoo then 3rd was a rinse with an ivermectin based solution to kill off any mites. Comb through a conditioner afterwards.

Dog spot on (1 pipette per leg) also helps stop any mites feasting on the loose skin.

I'm having the final one with full feathers sedated on Fri though because he's biting his legs.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Join the Mallanders and sallanders groups on Facebook.

Essentially,.feed a low sugar diet and id avoid alfalfa too .
Don't wash excessively,.just wash to get rid of the lose scabs and use a mild shampoo.
Then moistiruse daily with something oily like Farrier M&S cream or Barrier Heel to Hoof cream. The trick to managing this is moisture so you'll need to use the creams every day. The M&S cream will initially make the area greasy but once it's under control , you can move onto something water based , like Nivea or Aveeno. But you'll need to moisturise every day

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Heel and feather mites in horses live and feed on dead skin. They do not burrow into live skin, nor are they blood feeders. It is difficult to see how the mite injection can possibly work. If you remove the food source, you will remove the mites.
If you are able to power wash the stable floor, or give it a good scrub, this will flush out eggs that may be lurking too.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Heel and feather mites in horses live and feed on dead skin. They do not burrow into live skin, nor are they blood feeders. It is difficult to see how the mite injection can possibly work. If you remove the food source, you will remove the mites.
If you are able to power wash the stable floor, or give it a good scrub, this will flush out eggs that may be lurking too.
This is my pet hate , people using strong chemicals that will do nothing for the mites when there are very effective treatments out there ! (Farrier mite spray and shampoo are my go-to)

planete

Visit site
This is my pet hate , people using strong chemicals that will do nothing for the mites when there are very effective treatments out there ! (Farrier mite spray and shampoo are my go-to)

Interesting. My vets will not use the injection. They prescribe Ivermectin pipettes which have proved very effective for us and I keep the area thoroughly moisturised. Full feathers still in situ, no itching.