Help dealing with stained feathers

Elanorg

Visit site
Hi

I have a traditional mare mare with a huge amount of feather, a good bit of white on the bottom of 3 legs. Problem is I can't get them actually white, no matter how much I scrub they are still yellowed.

So far I have used fairy liquid, normal horse shampoo, purple shampoo and liquid Daz! Still a yellowish colour. I used to show coloureds and traditionals years ago, never had a problem getting them white and they were all turned out as normal in whatever conditions.

Also, does anyone have any advice for stopping the ending up with dreadlocks through winter? I used to wash often and use a hairdryer to get dry but simply don't have the time for that these days. Would using pig oil weekly be enough?

Thanks

Elanorg

Visit site
No chalk, just trying to get rid of the stains. I've never had to use chalk before, always managed to get them sparkling white without. Occasionally I've used sawdust but that was when I was doing county level. I just want them to look a bit less manky.

Llee94

Visit site
Smart grooming deep purple shampoo is amazing! It may take a few washes if the stains are really bad but they get feathers, tails and bodies sparkling white.

Elanorg

Visit site
Smart grooming deep purple shampoo is amazing! It may take a few washes if the stains are really bad but they get feathers, tails and bodies sparkling white.

Is this a lot better than the Wahl diamond white purple shampoo? That's what I've been using.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
A combination of purple washing up liquid mixed with vanish crystals to make a paste is what I use on the hairies. Pop on and leave for 5 mins then rinse thouroughly and wash with cowboy magic