Help! Does my horse have Ulcers..

SophW1898

Visit site
So my horse’s behaviour when cantering/jumping has changed all of a sudden. He will do one/two jumps fine then gets himself in a state and rears:( he doesn’t seem completely right so I’m wondering if it’s ulcers. Stupidly I took him to a hunter trial, travelled him for 50 minutes and then competed without feeding him first and it’s since then his behaviour especially when jumping has changed.. his spooking has also become more severe and he grinds his teeth on his stable occasionally. He is an 8yo Connie so could just be testing boundaries I guess but not sure whether it’s worth scoping him to rule out ulcers…

HeyMich

Visit site
Your horse isn't testing boundaries, he is clearly in pain of some sort. Whether it's ulcers, joint pain, muscular or something else is a question for your vet. Let us know how you get on.

SophW1898

Visit site
Thank you :) I know he definitely needs the vet I just wanted some other opinions before I went down the route of scoping/x rays etc! He’s now booked in for scoping next week??

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Some people are very wary of scoping, it's quite invasive and effectively makes the ulcers worse because of the starvation. Those that feel this way would feel a 100% ulcer friendly, supportive diet, and see what change they get. Some people (not the same some people necessarily :D) would also say that the wavy line you can get at the lower rear part of the ribcage (the edge of the fly-flicking muscle layers) can be super pronounced in horses with ulcers, and Kerry Ridgway had a pressure point test for ulcers.