Help equestrians of yorkshire ...pontefract,upton area

dorrisworris

Visit site
Hi after a long property search I may have found something suitable in pontefract ,problem is o have no clue what horsey stuff there is around this area . I'm 50 min away from sommerford Park at the min and this was my preference of area to move to but can't find anything . Can't find anything on Google in relation to competition venues, tack shops farm rides ,cross country courses ,bridleways ,livery yards ect but surly there must be some locally ie less than an hours drive ????? Think I found 2 yards but that was it ! Please help me as I don't want to make a mistake as it will be my home for next 20 years at least !

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm sure someone with local knowledge will come up with some answers for you, but I've always fancied moving there so I could join the Ride Yorkshire group. You can find them in Facebook. I'd aim to live somewhere in their catchment area, but then I prefer hacking there days to anything else.

dorrisworris

Visit site
I'm sure someone with local knowledge will come up with some answers for you, but I've always fancied moving there so I could join the Ride Yorkshire group. You can find them in Facebook. I'd aim to live somewhere in their catchment area, but then I prefer hacking there days to anything else.
Hi thanks for that I have joined the ride yorkshire group but haven't found anything relating to the area of Yorkshire...I will keep looking there must be dome horsey stuff round there somewhere closest I can find is Farnley ride but there must be a more local competition venue

kathantoinette

Visit site
I’m in East Yorkshire, but here’s a few places for you to Google;

R&R Country Store
Port Royal Equestrian Centre
Sykehouse Equestrian Centre
Manor Grange Equestrian Centre
Yorkshire Equestrian Centre
Horton Horse Centre
Escrick Park Rideways
Beatrice Stocks Seels (excellent instructor and does various clinics that way on)

Good luck

Hackback

Visit site
I think there are some nice bridleways in the area as some if the endurance PRs I uses to go on incorporated some lovely paths but I'm not sure there's any purpose built long ones, I think rather you would need local knowledge to link them up. There are some nearby reservoirs you can ride round though.

Ride Yorkshire seem to operate mainly in North Yorkshire and the Wolds. Yorkshire is a big county and it could take you a couple of hours from Pontefract to get to some of their northernmost rides. They have some in the Dales that I'd love to do but it's a long way to go from where I live, which isn't too far from Pontefract. I've done a lot of their other rides though.

From Pontefract area you have good links to the A1/M going North or South and the M62 for East to West. It's as easy to travel south to the east Midlands area as it is to get to the north of the county. When my horse manages to be fit and well I go out with the Four Shires Bloodhounds who hunt from Derbyshire up into South Yorkshire. There's also The Highmoor Bloodhounds in East/North Yorkshire but I find it easier to get to the Four Shires meets on the motorway network. They also organise summer rides. There's Endurance GB and Sport Endurance rides in the area and plenty of pleasure rides organised by various groups, including Ackworth & District Riding Club which will be very close to you. They might actually be a really good point of contact for you to find out more about the area.

There's the Northern Racing College where you can hire the gallops - Beatrice Stocks does a speed and fitness training clinic there. Or there's Mick Easterby's (an actual training yard) gallops in the Howardian Hills which are fab, a long straight gallop with a hill in stunning scenery and you can stop for fish and chips at Thompsons on the way home.

Theres nothing like Somerford locally. But you could look at Fair Oaks Farm Ride and Cross Country near Selby which is quite a new venture and being improved by the very friendly and thoughtful owners all the time. There's Epworth where they hold ODEs and you can hire the facilities too. Frickley is another ODE venue which will be close by.

Brodsworth will be close too - it's the slag heap of an old colliery that they turned into a 'community woodland' where riding is allowed, so it's now a big hill of young woodland with loads of interlinking paths going up and down, good for hill and fitness training or just a mooch in the sunshine.

I'm not into competing, I am a pleasure rider and spectator only so there's probably a lot more out there that I haven't thought of.

Good luck with your move!

neddy man

Visit site
Less than an hour from you is Port Royal equestrian and exhibition centre at Holme on Spalding moor with regular events www.portroyaleec.co.uk also Rockwood harriers hold events North of Barnsley less than an hour away see their Facebook page. Also near j37 M1 is www.throstlenestsaddlery.co.uk a large well stocked equestrian shop . Also on Facebook 1/2hour away is Moorhouse equestrian centre Nr Doncaster with indoor and outdoor events. www.epworthequestrianltd.com have an excellent xc training course + showjumping and dressage. Hope you enjoy Yorkshire. If you are looking for a livery yard this may help www.*******.co.uk

Last edited:

dorrisworris

Visit site
I’m in East Yorkshire, but here’s a few places for you to Google;

R&R Country Store
Port Royal Equestrian Centre
Sykehouse Equestrian Centre
Manor Grange Equestrian Centre
Yorkshire Equestrian Centre
Horton Horse Centre
Escrick Park Rideways
Beatrice Stocks Seels (excellent instructor and does various clinics that way on)

Good luck
Brilliant thankyou so much for taking time to reply ! Xx