HELP! First Common Ride

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
So, in the next few weeks I'm going to be doing a common ride on my share pony with my friend and her share pony and I am in a total panic! I have no clue what to wear or anything. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the sort of dress code and also what goes on at the rides themselves? It will be my first ever common ride, and I am super excited, but also really nervous :p. What do I need to take? What do I need to be prepared for?

Sologirl

Visit site
Oo which one? I always wore a black jacket, long boots and light jods but that's because it's all I have lol. As far as I know the dress code varies a bit, some wear tweed, some black/navy, and I've seen bright pink jackets at the Edinburgh ride! They are so much fun and very addictive lol - might see you on a couple! X

Sologirl

Visit site
oh and on the 2 I've done, it was just a case of keep in line, don't go too close to the horse in front, hold on tight during the canters/gallops and wave to the crowds! :) x​

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Take your bravery and a strong bladder ;)

You can wear tweed or black jacket - long boots or short boots and gaiters. Cream jods are the norm. You don't have to be dressed to nines, but smart.

I went on the kelso one years ago on a hired pony. It was a blast!

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Take your bravery and a strong bladder ;)

You can wear tweed or black jacket - long boots or short boots and gaiters. Cream jods are the norm. You don't have to be dressed to nines, but smart.

I went on the kelso one years ago on a hired pony. It was a blast!

Haha! I'll be sure to take my strong bladder ;). I was going to buy a pair of white jodhs if I could find any and maybe just a light jacket

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Do you think it would be fine to wear like just a zip up waterproof jacket? I don't want to go spending loads of money on a show jacket etc. when I'll most likely never use it again.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I've done them for nearly ten years.

Take a neck strap and if you can a small knapsack with a bottle of water spare bits of bridle/stronger bit and layer your nether regions in Vaseline ;) also clip a lead rope to your saddle.

Stay far away from those wth red ribbons, stay off peoples butts and listen to the marshalls :)

Daisystar

Visit site
Hiya! I'm doing currie too :) did it last year and it's great fun! It a nice steadyish ride and everyone is really friendly. I think it's a relly good first common ride :). I just hope the weather stays dry lol

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Hiya! I'm doing currie too :) did it last year and it's great fun! It a nice steadyish ride and everyone is really friendly. I think it's a relly good first common ride :). I just hope the weather stays dry lol

Yay! Awesome. So glad to hear that :p. I am super excited xD! Hopefully we had weather like yesterday, it was beautiful. A bit of a breeze would also be nice though.

Daisystar

Visit site
Quick question guys, are beige jods okay to wear? Or do you have to wear like white ones? Also is a black jacket and a shirt okay?

Yeah that's totally fine, that's pretty much what I will be wearing :) it will be good if weather was like yesterday, def not wanting it like today lol tho I did go for a wee 2 hr hack tonight :-D

Sologirl

Visit site
Yeah that's totally fine, that's pretty much what I will be wearing :) it will be good if weather was like yesterday, def not wanting it like today lol tho I did go for a wee 2 hr hack tonight :-D
Yuk, if the weather is like it is today it's going to be pretty miserable! :(

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id love to do one of these rides, they look like fun. Shame we dont have any up my way :( If anyone fancies lending me a horse for one and I could travel down, let me know ha ha!

scotlass

Visit site
Selkirk Common Ride is one of the faster rides. However, as with any of the Common Ridings / Riding of the Marches, you should be competent and confident at riding a horse in group company, feel you are in control and be able to gallop in open spaces without fear. You need to have an understanding that, other than the ceremonial parts in the town square, horses whether privately owned or hired tend to get quite excitable on them.