Help , foal being turned out

SophieMc

New User
Visit site
Ok so I need some advice ......
My foal had been kept in the stable for the first two weeks to get used to his surroundings. We are now thinking of turning him out with electric fencing round the perimeter. But we've heard from people this isn't a good idea as he will try and escape because there's no other horses with him. ?What should we do ?. Will he be fine if we keep an eye on him? . It's only temporary till he gets gelded and then he's moving to a field with two other horses
Hope someone can help X no negative comments please 😊

ihatework

Visit site
This isn’t a negative comment , it’s a constructive one.

Find someone local to you who has practical long term experience in raising young stock. Then follow their advice even if it’s ‘inconvenient’.

If you can’t then consider if purchasing a foal was really the best thing to do.

bonny

Visit site
Ok so I need some advice ......
My foal had been kept in the stable for the first two weeks to get used to his surroundings. We are now thinking of turning him out with electric fencing round the perimeter. But we've heard from people this isn't a good idea as he will try and escape because there's no other horses with him. ?What should we do ?. Will he be fine if we keep an eye on him? . It's only temporary till he gets gelded and then he's moving to a field with two other horses
Hope someone can help X no negative comments please 😊
I hope this isn’t a serious post

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
He is unlikely to be fine just because you keep an eye on him, mine thought nothing of limbo-ing then fence to try and join the hooley next door when he first arrived whilst I watched on! He really needs to be turned out with company (preferably his own age) and definitely not with electric fencing around the perimeter. If your current yard can't offer this you really need to move him to a more suitable yard.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I agree... keeping an eye on them doesn't work. I was in the field with my exracer when he galloped into the fence... not much I could do apart from shout and check he wasn't hurt afterwards (he wasn't, the fence broke and he just bounced away).

Big field. Good fencing. Other youngsters for company.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Really he needs a safe field with a companion or two of his own age idealy.
If thats not possible a kind sensible older horse. He can be turned out with geldings before hes been gelded.
Electric fence is not really safe for foals.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I saw a foal go through electric fencing and effectively hang itself with the tape while getting repeated shocks. It is not something I EVER want to see again. Luckily that foal survived because there were 5 people hanging about on the yard so we got it turned off and cut him out. I dread to think what would have happened if no one had been about.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The reason a FOAL will go through electric fencing to get to other horses is because a foal should never be kept on it's own. Ever. A FOAL should be out with others it's own age. Please do not attempt to keep a young horse this way; it is not ethical.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Local schools went back yesterday, but a short step over the county border and they're off till Tuesday. Unless they're private... One can only hope this is the case here...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ours are still on holiday too, until Monday. I don't believe this is a serious post. First time poster with ridiculous scenario is too likely to be someone having a laugh.

If by some chance it is serious, then foals have to be kept with company, preferably other youngsters and experienced oldies to teach manners. If this is a true post and you continue to isolate the foal then you will soon be posting about a host of other issues.

I would have loved a foal, but accept that I simply don't have the necessary set up for one, so I have not. I would find a stud farm type set up and change the foal to a livery there.