Help for Saddles that Slip?! PLEASE!

IWTO

Visit site
I have a barrelled horse and his saddle is fitted to him, however it slips to the left alot and my saddler is adamant it is not the saddle, nor the horse and i am adamant it is not me.

Until i can get a second opinion i would like to try and sort it as best i can because it cannot be good for my boy and its certainly not doing me any benefit for my balance.

I have tried an sheepskin half pad but this doesnt make any difference.

He currently has a stubben string girth.

confused.gif
Ideas?

teddyt

Visit site
Sorry but a saddle slipping to one side is for only one of 3 reasons- rider, horse or saddle OR a combination of any of them. Examples-
Rider- crooked or much stronger one side
Horse- uneven muscle development, one shoulder bigger than the other (very common), stronger movement one side, lame,
Saddle- flocked unevenly, flocked innapropriately for horses shape (i.e. horse is odd and flocking is not adjusted accordingly), wrong tree width, wrong panel type

tabithakat64

Visit site
teddyt is right I'm afraid. I would get a different saddler (ask for recommendations on here). get your horse and yourself assessed too
smile.gif

IWTO

Visit site
I know all this as i said, but for the moment im needing some form of help while i get a second opinion.

Its not me i have been checked
Possible with muscle on one side of horse but this makes no difference as if it is slipping i am still having the problem?

Janette

Visit site
I use a Prolite non slip pad for extra security. I used to use a Geleze, but star decided that she didn't like the stickiness of it.

teddyt

Visit site
The only way to solve the problem is to find the cause.

A different girth will make no difference to a saddle slipping to the side. Does the saddle have a point and back strap? If so use them to girth it up, that may help.

If its due to uneven muscle, a Korrector air pad can be pumped up asymmetrically to make up for the uneven muscle. They cost about £100 though, so probably better to get a second opinion first.

Personally i wouldnt be riding the horse if the saddle is moving to one side. You need to get a second opinion asap. Riding in a saddle off to the side will pinch the spine and restrict the shoulder on the side it moves to. A saddle off to one side is very bad for a horses back.

Annagain

Visit site
Where are you based?I know an excellent saddler who sorted my boy out after years of saddle slipping, nobody else managed it. You have to go to him though, and he's in Mid Wales!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd be tempted to try a gel eze - or a numed sheepskin numnah.

A half pad will just make the saddle even more unbalanced - hence it not working.

Or, don't ride until the saddle is reveiwed.