Help!! Getting horse to respect fencing!!

c-bx

Visit site
Hi all, any help and tips are much appreciated...
I will be moving yards in about a month and my horse has always been a nightmare with fencing. She has jumped post and rail fences, electric fencing she runs through, ducks under or jumps.
The new yard will have post and rail but the YO is suggesting dividing the field into sections as she will be living out so that can slowly give her more grass. The yard does have mains electric thankfully. She also chews post and rail fencing so thinking maybe putting sone sort of mesh over the fence to stop her eating it? Any tips on getting horses to stay in their fields? Really nice yard and don’t want to annoy the YO with her being a nightmare ?‍♀️
help!!!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Electric along the post and rail to stop her chewing it and use the highest electric fence posts you can get for the temporary fencing with very tight top and bottom strands. Use at least 3 strands. Farmer we knew reckoned for his sheep he had three strands the middle one being a 'dead' line. That made sure that when the sheep pushed into it they earthed the fence through the dead line and got a really strong shock.

chaps89

Visit site
If you're buying tape, buy the high performance or quality stuff. Be careful not to earth it by using the correct connectors, don't wrap it round wooden posts etc.
Use the little round fence connectors to run a strand of electric rope or wire just inside the rails to stop the horse chewing it. (Something like this https://images.app.goo.gl/WRkqVcR9Vk9msYvc6 )
Zig zagging the tape can deter the ones that go through it too
Screenshot_20200719-140634_WhatsApp.jpg

I would also make sure YO knows you have a fence destroyer - a lot don't take kindly to it and less so if it's not been discussed in advance! (Apologies if you've already spoken to them about it)

I have a fence hopper and it plays a big part in choosing what yard I go to, if the fences aren't sufficient for her, even if its perfect in every other way, we don't go there, simple as.