HELP: Haylage = runny bum, what can I do?

saddleupagain

Visit site
My horse still seems to have a pretty much permenantly runny bum. The yard I am at provides haylage as part of the livery, there is not room for me to store hay.

I have put him on haylage balancer its helped a bit but he's still runny. He is out in the field during the day and in at night. I was wondering if soaking the haylage would take some of the richness out or maybe mixing it with straw? Has anyone else had this problem? Others in the yard are also a bit runny but he seems the worst of it.

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Add some cornflower to his feed everyday, will help bind him up. Old of my old boys had to have it everyday due to internal problems, and it helped a lot. Start off with a small ammount, as some horses don't like the taste, and gradually up it.

TigerTail

Visit site
Drop the haylege balancer if its one of the naf et al ones, theyre pants (read the ingredients label;))

Id add activated charcoal and yeasacc to the psyllium husks. Some horses simply cannot tolerate it in which you will have to say its not acceptable to the YO and sort out somehwere to put bales, even if its a weeks worth at a time

saddleupagain

Visit site
He's on fibre fast (fast fibre which ever way around it is!) and a scoop of Alfa A. It's difficult as a youngster he was starved so he's greedy! He was on fast fibre with his old owner which is why I kept him on it. He's only getting a small scoop at night.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If mine get runny when they arrive on the yard and they are not used to haylage
I give a probiotic supplement and feed hi fi lite as a partial forage replacer I space it through out the day They often stop with this runny thing as they get used to haylage ,if you can turn him out as much as possible and give him hi FI Lite or similar so he's eating dry matter through out the day in between the haylage that might just sort it.

TicTac

Visit site
Certainly dont soak the haylage it will turn it rank. The problem is the moisture content and I've had 2 horses that ended up with runny bums on it. I found that yea saac or Biotal Equine Gold were good pro biotics that helped to stabilise the gut.

You could mix it with a palatable straw or even hay but you may find that the problem remains untill he comes off the haylage. Fortunately my mare has no problems :)

Coop

Visit site
I had the same problem last year with new horse, tried the naf one and didn't work a bit, my vet recommended PROTEXIN BIO PREMIUM, got it from the wormer mail order company, as far cheaper from them than the vets.

So far, 3 weeks into haylage and he hasn't had a spell yet..... hopefully its working!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Difficult one for you OP if its included in the livery and you can't change the situation.

Is yours fizzy as well as squitty-bum? Coz when mine's had haylage (on livery) he was a right fruit-loop as well as the other problem, they go hand-in-hand IME.

Sorry don't have any suggestions, other than what others have put forward.

Good luck!

PS: Lynn Russell stain remover is FAB for removing the stains - that's all I can help with! Just spray on and wash/hose off. Simples. Also good for removing grass stains etc on cricket whites too!!

saddleupagain

Visit site
Thank you all so much, had tried a couple off the shelf probiotics and he's been on the Naf one now but will defo look at the other options as its not seemed to do anything and yes he's grey which just makes the whole situation worse!! But I was more worried for him than me. Thank you all do so much :)

Clippy

Visit site
I've had this problem with one of ours and the best solution i've come up with is to peel some haylage off the bale and let it dry out a bit before feeding it by just leaving open and in a dry place for 24hours or longer. I found mixing with straw also helps too

saddleupagain

Visit site
I had been making up 2 haynets putting in my shed for 24 hrs and then feeding. Partly because I'm usually there a bit later after work so when the bale is running down there isn't any left! But I could try spreading it out with some straw (nobody else would be interested then!) I also changed him from straw to shavings because he was eating the straw so maybe I wil change him back again!

aerodynamic

Visit site
Our yard has very rich haylage and it is always a concern when we swap from hay to haylage for the winter period. We feed Pink Powder throughout the year apart from through the winter when, I have to say the NAF Haylage Balancer has worked wonders for my horses who are competing internationally thoughout the year! We also use NAF Thrive which is also great for mopping up those runny droppings and in turn the stables are so much cleaner which makes life cheaper. In my opinion the proof is in the results and with a yard of almost 30, most of them are on the Haylage Balancer and are not only looking great, feel great and most of all for everybodys sakes their droppings have really firmed up!
I would not listen to tigertail it seems to me she is a NAF hater by the looks of her recent Pink Powder slander! Happy New Year!

TigerTail

Visit site
I would not listen to tigertail it seems to me she is a NAF hater by the looks of her recent Pink Powder slander! Happy New Year!

Im a hater of any product that purports to be helpful and is actually made up of rubbish! Most horsey owners cannot afford to waste our pennies so when you can buy brewers yeast and magnesium for half the price of naf it seems that only blinkered people who have to follow the 'in' crowd on their livery yard and use the pretty pink pots are silly enough to keep buying it :rolleyes:

saddleupagain

Visit site
I have had him on the Naf haylage balancer for 2 weeks and he's not improving prior to that he was on a baileys probiotic balancer and that hadn't helped. I have ordered some protexin today and will try that but I have also mixed straw with his haylage and am thinking of changing back from shavings to straw. I will also try some of the other ideas like the husks and Charcole fingers crossed as I feel sorry for him he can't feel good having a runny bum and his dressage season starts on 29th jan!! (1st comp as well!)