ARGH!!! HOW DO I GET IT OFF???!!!!
frown.gif
mad.gif
shocked.gif

It's on his FACE how GROSS is that?

HELP!!!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
You can buy tick remover things, from pet shops/vets I think...

http://www.ticktwister.co.uk/

There we go...

On people we always burnt them off
blush.gif
Not sure that would work so well on a dog...

Whatever you do, don't just try and pull it off
tongue.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
I almost did just yank it before I realised what it was!
shocked.gif
blush.gif

Will be ordering tool shortly, hopefully somone on the yard will know how to get the little b*gger off in the meantime...

Didn't mean to sound quite so hysterical there
blush.gif
... but come on, yuck
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

NewyddP

Visit site
OMG i really dont understand the hysteria lots of people seem to have about ticks! We have millions here and the dogs and horses will have new ones every day!!

Simply twist them anti-clockwise and they will come out...no head left (or anything scary) as they burrow in clockwise.
smile.gif

thedunthing

Visit site
When my dog got one we were told to smother it in vaseline, leave it for a few minutes then pull it out, we didn't actually have any vaseline so we used hydrolan leather softner, pulled it out and there was no head left.
smile.gif

Could be harder though if it is on her face, it was on my dogs hind legs so had no problems... other than him trying to lick the hydrolan off!
grin.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
It's off, thanks to a colleague. Thanks for the advice.
smile.gif
Next time maybe I'll try the leather softener, then I will also have a soft and supple doglet by the end of it!
grin.gif

Sorry if my 'hysteria' has offended anyone.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my 'hysteria' has offended anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly
tongue.gif
How can hysteria offend people!!??

I'm dreading the first tick Otto gets, I hate them!! My Mum bought us a tick tool the minute we said we were going to look at a puppy though, so I'm all prepared!!
grin.gif

I remember we were Camping once, I was sat reading a book and my Dad said "What's that on your neck, stay still.." and pluck a tick off my neck
crazy.gif
it was crawling around so hadn't burrowed in, but it didn't have make my skin crawl
crazy.gif

grin.gif

Baileyhoss

Visit site
vile little bugs. but no need to panic. as newydp says, simply take a very gentle hold of the body so you don't squeeze the contents of the tick back into the dog then turn anti clockwise, about a turn and a half - its a bit awkard, you'll have to twist you hand clockwise then grab it in order to be able to twist your hand anti clockwise far enough if you know what i mean. then it'll just pop off. then go buy a tick remover for next time.

never pull or burn them - you'll most likely leave the head in and that can cause infection. If you smother it with stuff then you'll have to wait for it to drop off and that can take a while and it'll still be alive to climb back on board another creature - maybe you!.

Then burn it if poss. They are very difficult to squish by standing on them

Spudlet

Visit site
LOL ok ok am thoroughly tired, stressed, hormonal and over sensitive at the moment! Poor Henry, being stuck with me right now...
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
Swear I'm starting to scare my poor colleagues with my little impromptu rants!
grin.gif

Ticks do make my skin crawl though... I can deal with any amount of manky stuff but ticks are just minging
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Han dont feel bad, im a vet student found a tick on Beau and screamed like a massive girl!!! (which also made beau jump.... woops! hehe
crazy.gif
)

They are foul! vaseline suffocates them to get them off if you dont want to touch them.
tick tools are great as well!
burning, its light a match blow it out, then whilst its hot touch it on its bum it will release then you have to pull it out!

Ergh minging minging minging!

Fiona

Visit site
Maybe this is sn irish thing - but I have always been told to put a little dab of meths on a tick, and it will let go and come off more easily.

P had a couple last summer on holiday near Perth (one on her face) and this method worked.

Is this really bad??

Fiona

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Or whiskey, I'd heard. Then drink the rest to ease the panic
tongue.gif

Also turning anti-clockwise.

I'm with hanandhen, I am not a squeamish person, quite the opposite, and they make me hurl

Spudlet

Visit site
OK - got the little tick removing tool thing.
Got extra supplies of Frontline.
Got the dutch courage all ready for the post-tick removal period.

Bring on the bloodsuckers!
grin.gif

I did NOT have to deal with this kind of thing before I came to Norfolk!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

ladyearl

vvv
They are gross so hysteria totally justified - however we get loads on dogs and horses and you soon develop the knack of twisting them out. I can touch them and have to do it as son as I find them - can't stand the though of them on my animals. hence no faffing with vaseline or tick tools etc!!

ps I'm pretty sure my parents used meths and a match. But them again they used to travel me in the car with no seat belt and send me out in the hottest sun with no sun block - ahhhh the 70s.....
crazy.gif