Help horse falling asleep!

Charliechalk

Visit site
Hi, my horse appeared to fall asleep tonight whilst he was tied up outside his stable, i was plaiting his mane and he suddenly pulled back on his rope and looked like he was going to fall over, i quickly unclipped him and he just kept stumbling backwards but appeared to be completely out of it! Head up in the air, and just glazed eyes. He then kind of jumped as though he had just been startled so i led him back in his stable and he seemed fine. Brought him back out about 10mins later and got someone to hold him so i could finish the plaits and after about 5mins he did it again. Put him back in the stable again seemed ok, fed him 20mins and again fine! What could be happening? Is he just falling asleep or something more serious? anyone elses horse do this?

Roody2

Visit site
I knew a horse that did it, she would stand in her stable and sort of drift off but then go into such a deep sleep that she would then just fall over (a bit like if she were being cow pushed). Normally she would go down on her back legs first then fall over to the side. Sometimes she would stay down in a really deep sleep and you could see she was dreaming - a bit like watching a dog sleep, other times she would startle herself as she fell and get back up again.

Have you had your horse for long? If not it may just be that he gets really relaxed and drifts off. If you have had him a while and he's never done it before I think you should keep an eye on it and get the vet out if it persists.

I don't want to scare you and I'm not saying it is this, but it is possible for horses to suffer from narcolepsy as well.

Sal_E

Visit site
Sorry, but u need to give the vet a call. Presume yr planning on competing tomm (plaits) - amy sign of recurrence tomm & I would def not compete/ride but call vet - he can advise if shld come out tomm or wait til weekday.

Is the horse very old?

Could b falling asleep ie narcopsy, could b something viral & not serious, or could b something more sinister like minor stroke.

Hope I've not worried u, just think u shld b cautious until vet tells u otherwise.

Charliechalk

Visit site
Ive had him for 6 years and hasn't done this before. He is 21, could it be an age thing? Rode him earlier today and he seemed fine, worried about tying him up on the lorry now. Can narcolepsy come on suddenly?
Will see how he is tomorrow and call vet.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would def speak to a vet about it, they need to check the horse over. It could be a one off nod off but could be something more significant, narcolepsy, and other stuff too. Wouldnt ride the horse until thoroughly checked out and an answer results. Not trying to scaremonger but you couldnt risk it happening in the middle of a ride?

Tangaroo

Visit site
Dont go into a panic if it is narcolepsy. My boy suffers from this and he is eventing at pre novice level and doing elementary dressage! he just needs quite careful management.

Rattie

Visit site
My horse has been suffering with the same thing since December, she is 16 and it came on suddenly.

I also urge you to contact your vet and you shouldn't ride or travel your horse until a vet has seen him.

Same as above, don't want to scaremonger but i've been there so just passing on what I was advised.

Be interested to know what your vet says too.

Sam22

Visit site
Sounds more like a small seizure to me, horses I've seen fall asleep like this tend to have their heads down. I would speak to your vet and be very carefull about riding him. Is he on any drugs for anythying? Has he been diagnosed with Cushings?

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
I was lucky enough to have an ex advanced eventer on loan that did the same, I had him for about 2 weeks and he was tied on the yard and he did the same, it was almost like he was going to lay down but looked asleep.

I was very concerned obviously and called the vet and luckily he did it when she was there, while he did it she clapped very loudly in his face and there was no response whatsoever, she said he was well out of it.

Looking back now there were other signs like he would sort of prop himself up in the field shelter.

The vet said she thought it was Narclopsy and in her opinion he was unsafe to ride.

I looked into it and there are a few horses that have this and sometimes things can trigger it like maybe tacking up or in anticipation of travelling, it can be lots of things.

I think there was an article about it in the HH

He went back to his owner to be a field ornament, I since found out from a previous loaner that he did it alot but never when he was ridden and it had got worse the older he got.

I wouldn't have liked to risk him going down at some event tied to the box or while travelling.

If your horse does it again I would get the vet out to take a look
smile.gif

Charliechalk

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, will definately get the vet and won't take him out tomorrow. He hasn't been diagnosed with cushings, what are the other symptoms? Just had a thought re the virus thing, his glands have been up on one side of his face when ive brought him in from the field, they go down by the morning, spoke to vet about it and said it was something to do with lack of grass and saliva glands, he's had this before and been fine, but now thinking they could be up because of a virus. Will try and phone vet tomorrow, would they come out for this on a weekend or would it be better to wait untill monday?

Sam22

Visit site
It would be a good idea to check his temperature tomorrow and if that is normal and he is fine in every other way theres not much point in having the vet until Monday. If you have a video camera keep it handy at the yard.
Symptoms of cushings - excesive drinking and urinating, long and curly winter coat that is not lost in summer, patchy sweating, fat redistribution (bulges above eyes and tail head seen most commonly) and laminitis. I only ask as it is caused by a brain tumor and seizures are occasionaly seen in the later stages. There is another type of brain tumor called a cholesteroloma that most older horses have. It is caused by an accumulation of cholesterol in the ventricles and very rarely gets so big it puts pressure on the forebrain and causes seizures - it is something I would put on the list for an older horse but can only be diagnosed by CT scan - no blood changes. Other neurological defeceipts are likely to be picked up by the vet though.

Sam22

Visit site
Could anyone with narcoleptic horses please post the age of onset and also do you get see there heads go up sometimes when they do it? I would be very interested to know and I think it would help OP (sorry trying not to hijack thread).

Rattie

Visit site
That's really interesting.

My horse has been 'diagnosed' with Equine Sleep Disorder but as you say, she has her head down most of the time. A couple of times it has been up, almost like she is stargazing.

Can't help on the narcolepsy im afraid.

Charliechalk

Visit site
His head was up like he was stargazing, and stumbing like he was drunk. OH has just reminded me that he broke his rope when tied up earlier in the week, had our backs to him at the time and just thought he had pulled back and lost his balance, as he was very fidgety as lots going on and wouldn't stand still. Really worried now, think i might need to go back up and check him tonight, just to put my mind at rest.

Rattie

Visit site
Does sound very similar.

Sam22 - she is 16, 17 this summer.

CharlieChalk - can I ask if he is stabled tonight? and if so what sort of bed has he got?

Sam22

Visit site
Sorry Charlie, I hate to think of you worrying all night, you probably better check him so you can sleep. I'm sure he'll be fine, it does tend to be when something is happening that episodes like this are set off. Good luck with him.

Rattie

Visit site
Agree with Sam22, sure he'll be fine but will be no fun for you if you are worrying. Put your mind at rest hun. My horse certainly was 'normal' at night when everything was peaceful.

Charliechalk

Visit site
He is stabled tonight on a deep straw bed, don't know whether to turn him out or not tomorrow, what do you think, thanks for all the advice
smile.gif

Rattie

Visit site
If I were you I'd keep to his normal routine, call the vet and explain your concerns, see what they say.

Don't know what your yard set-up is, but can you watch him tomorrow whilst he is turned out and video him if he shows these symptoms again? That will help the vet greatly.

A deep straw bed is perfect.

Sistersedge

Visit site
We had an old boy like that. We were sure he suffered from Narcolepsy (not sure if correct spelling) he would be mooching around the barn and then you would hear a bang and he would be on the floor. But dazed and kinda wondering what he had done. Best to get it checked out.

eggs

Visit site
My mare would do the same. Sometimes she would be standing with her head over her stable door and then there would be a big bang as she went down on her knees.

Didn't do much investigative work but vet thought it was probably narcolepsy. It seemed to start when she was about 11 or 12. Fortunately it never happend when she was ridden or travelling. Sometimes though on a lesson if we were standing still for a while talking to my instructor I would feel her sway ever so slightly so would immediately ask her to walk on which seemed to snap her out of it.

fatpiggy

Visit site
My first thought would be narcolepsy, but they usually droop down and go forwards onto their knees. My mare has epilepsy and her head is drawn up and back and around towards her flank at the start of a seizure. Being wide eyed and startled looking sounds rather familiar too. Forcing the head up is actually one of the neurological tests that a vet would do, to see if it might precipitate an attack. I definitely think you should call your vet and ask him to do blood tests for liver problems, a Cushings test and a full neuro work up. PM me if you want to chat.