help horse has muscle tear

splashnutti1

Visit site
Does any one have experience of a grisillis tear ( think that's how it's spelt) my lad was hardly able to walk tonight he has had an abcess and at first we thought it was that but farrier popped down and couldn't find anything plus he was weight bearing fine and didn't react the same as when he first had the abcess. My sis has the physio out tonight so we asked her to take a look and she found a hematoma type swellin up near his sheath which is the muscle tear.she called it a grisillis tear. On physio and vets advice He is on bute and having it cold hosed as much as possible and staying out but not moving much. Physio has said should see an improvement in his willingness to move in a couple of days and should be a lot better after five days but will take six to eight weeks to heal properly.
if anyone has any experience/ advice would be great.

splashnutti1

Visit site
No spoke to vet on the phone. The physio knows the vets well and often works with them at race yards she also spoke to the vet and vet was happy with diagnosis. If he is no better or gets worse vet will be straight out. If not they are due out on tueaday anyway so will check progress then. But vets are happy with treatment plan and they put up the bute. I am happy with everything thats been done just wanted to know If others have experienced this.

splashnutti1

Visit site
Think groin injury! The muscle involved I suspect is the gracilis.[/QUOTE

thanks that is what it is want sure how it was spelt. Do u have experience of this type of injury. My lad is reluctant to move about but will of he needs to albeit a bit unsteadily. Vets and physio said nest thing is cold hosing and bute Just wish there was more I could do for him :(

gunnergundog

Visit site
You're doing everything right for him; later on down the line your physio will be able to do show you how to do some passive stretches to ensure he retains range of movement and limits any adhesions/scar tissue. Then it will be a case of bringing back in to work and ensuring that he uses that leg correctly.

Good luck.